Big disappointment - will it change?

Hi, I have a new Homey Pro. I had Fibaro 2 before and expected a big improvement. But so far, I feel a big disappointment and huge step back.

1. the GUI in the app is not user friendly, small black icons, just one value on device icon, no icons for rooms with values as in Fibaro …
  2. very unreliable … most of the time, I cannot add z-wave devices. Big shame. Can I expect an improvement here?
  3. I have some switchbot bluetooth devices, e.g. thermometers. They can be added but the values are not updated then! Or just sometimes, definitely not often enough.
  4. In fibaro, I could create a complex virtual device with parameters, either entered or calculated / retrieved from services, buttons, etc. Nothing like that in Homey Pro?

Is there any hope?

The app is still experimental and not ment to be a fancy dashboard for controlling your Homey. You can ad some Homey widgets on your phone to startup your most important flows.
Do you use the webapp?

You can do many advanced tricks with your Homey, even using virtual devices, different variables, Logicals, making a simple dasboard or even using Javascript routines. So don’t jump the conclusion yet and spend some time reading the forum and learn how to use the device. There is more to come from Atom. :yum:

1 Like

Ok, I understand that the app will improved. But how about the most basic things … will homey update status of BLE devices (e.g. temperature)? Will z-wave devices become reliable? So far, it looks simply unusable. But maybe I have just bad luck? I still have big hopes for Homey because Fibaro looks like it’s not improving much.

Your questions show me that you have probably not dealt with Homey enough.

As the previous speaker has already written. The Homey app is not a dashboard. The web app probably meets your expectations. Homey devices can indeed be grouped by room.
You should learn the repeaters first and then the battery-powered devices. Zwave relies on a stable mesh.
I have over 15 Switchbot devices in use. All work very well. Bluetooth has a very limited range. With the Switchbot Hub, the connection is much more stable.
With the Device Capabilities app, you can even create very complex virtual devices.

Homey, properly used and understood, is much more powerful than the Fiabro Hubs.

4 Likes

I use daily my Fibaro Z-wave sockets, my Sensative and Fibaro Z-wave door/window sensors, and some Aqara Z-wave buttons without any problem. Those 14 Z-wave devices are stabil and reliable here.
How does it look at your Developer page? https://tools.developer.homey.app/tools/zwave ?

“2.You should learn the repeaters first and then the battery-powered devices. Zwave relies on a stable mesh.”

What do you mean by that. I opereate z-wave network in my home for years. Stable with Fibaro. I even cannot add the devices reliably to homey. Very rudimental, no logs, dependent on “apps”.

“3.
I have over 15 Switchbot devices in use. All work very well. Bluetooth has a very limited range. With the Switchbot Hub, the connection is much more stable.”

With hub it works. I do not want to be dependent on the hub. The status of the devices (e.g. temperature) is simply not updated in Homey.

" The Homey app is not a dashboard. The web app probably meets your expectations."
I know the web app. Looks similar to mobile app. And most of the time, mobile app is used to operate the house.

Still, I hope the situation will improve.

The new Homey is quite susceptible to interference when placed near large metal objects. So don’t place it on/near any. All Homey’s antennas are on the bottom of the device, so perhaps it’ll improve when you turn it over (don’t worry, the electrons won’t fall out) or sideways.

2 Likes

Yes you can, with Advanced Virtual Device from the Device Capabilities app.

2 Likes

Also, check out the app Better logic Library for many logic functionalities, like advanced variables, datetime convertion, time/duration convertion, number convertion and even excel generations.

2 Likes

Maybe first click around a bit?

With apps you can kind of adjust your Homey to your needs.
Here’s a mobile Homey app device (from the DC app) which can control 3 curtains seperately and it shows the position of all 3:

Thank you all. I still have big hopes in Homey Pro. But still

1. does / will BLE devices status update work? E.g. temperature for Switchbot devices without a hub?
  2. I do have serious problems with adding z-wave devices. Sometimes restarting Homey Pro works. But for the switches I use (OOMI Mote), it does not work at all … OOMi app (not an official one) is outdated, when I try to add it using generic Homey app or Aeotec app (OOMi is rebranded Aeotec), I get an error “unknown command class 254” … any idea what to do? Thanks!

Dont think OOMI is supported then. Never heared of it

v10.0.0-rc.115

System

• Fixes an issue where originator of Flows was not set correctly.

Z-Wave

• Fixes an issue that could result in a crash when Z-Wave Satellite mode could not start correctly.

Apps

• Fixes an issue that caused mDNS hostnames to not resolve to their respective IP addresses.

Backups

• Fixes an issue that could cause multiple backups to be created in one night.

Setup

• Fixes an issue that could result in a failure when fetching a long list of Wi-Fi SSIDs.

BLE

• Fixes an issue where discovery could not be performed.

Notifications

• Fixes an issue where images would not be loaded in push notifications.

It is a normal switch. Works without problems with Fibaro :frowning: It can be used as a generic device. Does not need to be “supported” specifically. Just it does not work with Homey Pro :frowning:

Have you tried to install it using the Homey generic zwave device?

IMG_1526

Really not the same as Fibaro …

Yes, I have tried it. Also using Aeotec app (because this switch is just a rebranded Aeotec one). Both throw an error “unknown command class 254”. What could I do? I have four these switches, they are very good and they are a very important part of my home automation.

Ok ok, might be really nice … if it works. I’m thinking about coding the app myself … need these switches.

Have you reported that to Athom and supplied a Diagnostics report?
I’m not a zwave expert so not sure if that is a bug in the current firmware or just a missing feature, but HP2023 is still very new.