Aqara FP2, mmWave presence detection on WiFi

If its possible i would say option 2, option 1 is going to be a nightmare for you with people having to pay or donate for it and renew their “subscription” every year and so on.

4 Likes

Athom doesn’t allow option 1, so for sure do option 2.

2.3. Compensation
Apps that require payment for partial or all functionality are not allowed. Apps should be free of charge for all users. We encourage you to add donation options to your app.

Apps whose goal is to connect to a service that requires payment (for example a Premium-tier for a smart thermostat), and the payment happens on the integration product’s end, this app can still be offered for free in the Homey App Store.

I think Option 2 would be good.
Regarding active zone alarms I would like to have around 4-5 zones per sensor but if you have smaller areas the sensor will cover I think 2 would be enough

Just to be clear, for option 1, I wasn’t suggesting users pay, hence my postfix ‘Am I that dedicated’.
If I go for option 1, then the app should in theory be allowed for Homey cloud as it is a straight forward OAUTH2 login.
If I go for option 2, then Athom probably won’t allow it for Homey cloud as it would be seen as too complicated.

I might initially go for option 1 to see what real life usage is like and have option 2 as a backup plan that could be switched to if usage is too high.

From the Aqara developer console I can see the number of calls, pushes and users, so it’s not a problem to monitor it.

1 Like

yes 2 , and it is not so weird to have some setup instructions.
do you get some good performance?

1 Like

I can also donate 30 euro for HomeKit controller :slight_smile:

1 Like

Difficult to say for sure as waiting for Athom to enhance the Webhook option. But using my Homey as the Webhook server, it was getting notifications pretty quickly.

2 Likes

Could this maybe an alternative solution?
LD1125H on a ESP32 and the ESPeasy app or Tasmota app.

Thanks Arnold.

Sort of offtopic: I’ve this working in HA, via local wifi.
@ Homey, I’ve managed to add it as a ESP Easy device (Homey ESPeasy app), I can add sensors and it shows all connections, but it stays quiet: no sensor values/updates.

It involves some DIY soldering, but it is only E14,- (with box, without PSU) and it simply tracks one zone and does not ‘see’ the difference when one or more persons are in range. Up to 6 meters, but the occupancy function works very well though! It is also a very fast motion dectector.

https://github.com/PeterKawa/esp_motion_mmwave

1 Like

The LD2410 is not the best mmWave sensor. As I have to believe tests on internet.
Therefore they advise to use the LD1125H. This one has three detection zones that can be configured with there own sensitivity.

And you are right. It is off-topic but probably a good alternative for now till there is a good working solution for the Aquara FP2.

For me the best way i got it working was with the help of home assistant. I know it is not the solution for everyone, but if you already have a raspberry pi laying around or it is in use, install home assistant on it. With the homekit controller plugin in home assistant you can then setup the aqara FP2. It will see the pressence sensor, the light sensor and all the zones.

When this is done, install the home assistant app from the community (Ronny Winkler) on homey. Not from homey developer itself, because it doesn’t see seprate zones.

Now that you installed the app, go and install the aqara FP2 in the device in homey. Now you see the presence sensor, light sensor and every zone as a separate presence sensor.

For the people that have a raspberry pi, enjoy.

3 Likes

@Adrian_Rockall a new Homey Pro 2023 user here and a developer, like to get into app creation for the Homey platform, if you need any help creating this app, let me know. Love to get into it.

10 Likes

I would definitely like to have zone active alarms. I think 5 would be good.

I would really like to try out what you’ve done so far as I can’t get the device working with home assistant. It just doesn’t find it.

Without that I have an expensive white elephant in my room because Alexa only allows one trigger and you really need flows to make use of this device.

Thanks for what you are doing Adrian.

I had the discontinued HomeKit Controller app installed on my Homey. Tried to add FP2. It was added but unfortunately it only added the luminance sensor. No motion

Tried HomeKitty as well?

Isn’t HomeKitty working in the opposite direction? Bringing Homey devices to Homekit. We need a Homekit device in Homey. Correct me if I am wrong

1 Like

No no, I just wanted to let you know about the successor of the Homey Homekit app, and thought ‘maybe it also works a bit better’ and publish a motion sensor next to the luminance sensor to Homey

There’s no possibility to command Homekit devices by Homey.

Isn’t that contradictory?
Currently there is no way to connect the Aqara Presence Sensor FP2 with Homey, so the HomeKitty app is not a support.

@Adrian_Rockall, as mentioned on the Aqara website, the FP2 sensor supports Matter. So maybe there is no need to program an app, at least not for the HP23.

I’m not familiar with Matter, but have any of you tried including the sensor via Matter? Acc. Athom sensors are already supported.
Requirement:
– Homey Firmware v10.0.0-rc.114 or higher.
– Homey smartphone app v7.1 or higher
– iOS 16.5 or higher
– Android 8 or higher

More info on Matter can be found here.

What @Peter_Kawa means is that there’s currently no way of “importing” (and thus controlling) HomeKit devices into Homey (so devices for which there’s no Homey app, but where the devices themselves support HomeKit).

1 Like

I know that (currently?) its not possible to import devices from Apple Home (Kit) into Homey, so I’m wondering why he suggested to use your HomeKitty app.
But maybe I misunderstood @Peter_Kawa.