Aqara Door/Window sensors stop responding after 1-2 hours with HP2023

Anyone that wants to throw away their Aqara sensors: please throw them in my direction! I don’t have any issues with them with zigbee2mqtt :joy:

1 Like

This has been an issue for ages. I have removed all Aqara battery devices from my network. It failed on Homey, on HP2019 and I never tried again on HP23.

I still have a bunch of some of these:

Send me a PM, whomever wants them. Pay EUR15 for packing and shipping and they are yours. They have been lying here for a few years now, so not sure how good they still are.

Already sold.

2 Likes

Tested with 10.0.8 - As expected, the same issue persist. Have reached out to support about returning my Homey, will see how they respond.

Bit the bullet and bought a “Cleverio” magnet sensor to compare against Aqara. Works like a charm, doesn’t stop working after an hour. So I guess that’s a way to go, throw away all Aqara sensors (which sucks) unless Athom manages to live up to their commercial…

Only on Homey they do.

1 Like

@ernholm Where did you buy that?
When I google for Cleverio window sensor I get a lot of results for Tuya, Aqara, Fibaro and Eufy but no “Cleverio”

Hi,

It’s Kjell & Co’s own brand, so a electronics chain in the nordics.

That said, I did have an issue that it dropped out over the weekend when I was away. So will monitor and see if it happens again.

Ah… yeah They don’t sell in euro’s apparently

I’ll try the Sonoff’s first :slight_smile:

So it finally happened. I read about Aqara changes in the changelog that sounded promising. Usually I wait for stable builds but after some time I gave up and installed v10.1.4-rc.3 and repaired the Aqara sensors.

They have for the first time kept working overnight, so it seems Athom finally got around to implementing the fix for this issue.

On a second note the Cleverio sensor also worked like a charm, haven’t seen it dropping out again.

Hello, for me, it’s too late. I returned all my Aqara sensors to the store due to the same issue. In January, Ikea will release new Zigbee modules for door, motion, and water in stores. I will try to see if they last more than an hour, and if so, it could be interesting since they will cost less than 10 euros.

Maybe I spoke too soon :slight_smile: One of the sensors dropped out and then after being re-paired only lasted an hour again. The others seems to work fine though, so no explanation to what is the difference here.

Good luck with getting those sensors supported first :wink: And besides, this is really an issue with Homey’s Zigbee implementation, not with Aqara or its app.

So I have managed to get the other door also “survive” a night, interestingly enough it seems they “left the zigbee network” according to timeline log about the time I paired them, perhaps some beta-glitch?

So to sum up, 2 magnet-sensors and one temperature/humidity sensor work at least 12 hours, show up in the dev portal etc so “stable enough” although I’m not rushing out to by more of the sensors yet.

It only took Athom half a year or so after my first bug report :slight_smile:

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question, but how close is your Homey located to your WIFI router?
I experienced all kinds of strange behavior with Shelly (Wifi), Aqara (Zigbee) devices and cheap zigbee light bulbs in the past. Homey support advised me to move the Homey further away from the wifi router and ever since everything was very stable. …until I replaced my wifi router by a new mesh wifi system and I placed one of the router devices in the same room as Homey, physically BETWEEN Homey and all zigbee devices.
I now switched them physically to test it and it seems to be better again. Just need to wait a couple of days to be sure…
Maybe worth trying out moving your Homey?

Thanks for your suggestion :slight_smile:

I had already as mentioned turned Wifi off completely without any change.

After the Homey update which specifically mentioned the Aqara changes it has worked like it should so I do think that the problem was that the Aqara devices where not keen on speaking with the Homey until it masqueraded properly.

So TLDR;
Wifi not related, problem solved after firmware update of Homey Pro 2023.

To be honest: I doubt it. The firmware change is only required during (and only applies to) the pairing process, and is meant for sensors that were unable to pair with Homey previously. As far as I understand, your issue wasn’t with sensors that were unable to pair, it was with paired sensors that became unresponsive after a while. That’s not something the firmware change has fixed (at least it’s not mentioned anywhere).

I guess you could quibble of what the interpretation of “report” is.

Adds a workaround for certain Aqara devices that will only report to Aqara Zigbee controllers

But what is your alternative explanation here?

It seems to me the most plausible explanation is the new release due to the timing of this suddenly starting to work. I can’t really see what else that has changed, the location of the sensors etc. I’ve ruled out network interference and this time they specifically mention an Aqara-fix and it starts to work?

I find it more likely they fixed a few things related to Aqara-devices and wrote a summary in the change-log than that the new release has nothing to do with the change in behaviour.

Happy to hear others report their experiences in the thread though, is there anyone else who still have the issues originally described after upgrading?

No, I know for a fact what the firmware change entails: some sensors (the “T1 sensors”) will not pair with third party controllers (like Homey), only Aqara’s own hub. The workaround (also implemented by other Zigbee implementations, like ZHA for Home Assistant and zigbee2mqtt) is to temporarily, during pairing, make the device think it’s talking to an Aqara hub.

Athom didn’t even test the abovementioned workaround, they initially brushed off issue reports (for new issues that are caused by it) from users as “go talk to the app developer, it’s not related to our workaround” but now they bought some Aqara devices themselves and can reproduce the issue. That doesn’t sound like they extensively test with a lot of different devices (and doesn’t fit with their “Every User Is A Tester™” mentality).

But I guess time will tell if your problems are solved :smiley:

I just bought the Ikea motion detector for 9 euros, and the installation went smoothly. The only downside I encounter is that, with each motion, it doesn’t stop the motion alarm before 3 minutes. If another motion occurs within the 3-minute timeframe, it resets the countdown to 3 minutes again. Unlike other motion detector modules, this is a parameter that cannot be modified. Now, I am observing to see if it will behave like the Aqara, which means disconnecting after an hour. I will keep you updated.