[APP][Pro] smpl products - Battery powered e-ink display

I created a new test release (v2.1.18):

• [bugfix] solved conflicted styles from the Homey v8.1.x release
  • [bugfix] cannot change route in Chrome (replaceState)
1 Like

Just received my order . Wauw it’s great and easy to implement . Just missing the solar panel icon :wink:

First setup for a display was within 4 minutes , including the unboxing time .

Can’t wait for the smpl+ version with touch on the 4 icons so I can make it show states from my alarm and switch it from on and off , put me on the preorder for that one straight away .

But for now , it works great . Easy to implement and good and clear view from every angle.

This product is a winner. !!!

3 Likes

yeah, very nice. no need to open the solaredge / homey app anymore.

3 Likes

Very nice these examples and first impressions. I’m still in doubt because of the price on one hand and the offered functionality and the will to support this initiative on the other hand. :thinking:

A question, how fast does the display switch to an other layout? So for instance when I have a button near to it, and on button press I let the display rotate between a couple of layouts? I saw a video-review where this took around half a minute?

2 Likes

The smpl mini display works with a minute-to-minute update interval so when setting another display layout it updates within max 1 minute.

@Nitramevo , is it possible to add an action (then) card or option to force a display update, so it is possible to switch to other layout immediately?

So for instance on button press, load new layout, update screen.

I had a weird issue where I changed language on my homey and totally freeze smpl display. so I had redo the template with the new locale names but still this did not work.

then I had to remove the device and add it again. After this it works again.

1 Like

this works good

1 Like

Nice :slight_smile:
Is Rum2 your sauna? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Really nice, how did you manage infarten?

Hehe
No, its the heatertank for heating the house, have to do a variable with a nice name so it looks better

infarten is just the name of the “room”.
But its the battery on my Renault Zoe, and that is doen with this app

1 Like

It is a difficult wish to comply with if we have to maintain the battery life at the same time.
If it is to be possible from Homey to ‘force’ an update, this means that the device must constantly ‘listen’ and it uses too much power/we cannot use the power-saving features in the various components (Zigbee chip and e-ink screen).
One option could be to offer a ‘hack’ where the update frequency could be further reduced. We currently have set a maximum of 1 minute. This would reduce the estimated battery life from 3-4 months to less than 14 days (eg every 5 seconds) or to just a few days (eg every second).
However, you have the option of pressing the back button to get a ‘forced request’.

Thx for taking the time to respond to my question. I didn’t realize the display is in control in when it is able to receive an update from homey. I understand the dilemma between update rate and battery live. 2 weeks is no option I understand that.

1 Like

Just bought my first SMPL display. Very pleased overall with build quality, ease of installation and possibilities. However, also I would like the option to set the update interval to less than the current 1 minute, as the current refresh rate limits the use cases for this device. And of course we understand that that would heavily impact the battery life. But that would then be the result of our wishes. E.g. does it make sense to (1) add an additional THEN card with the possibility to SET the update interval in combination with (2) to extend the list of update intervals with sub 1 minutes e.g. 5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec ?

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. And happy that you are pleased.
It would be possible to have a ‘when card’ set the update interval. It would though await the current update cycle to be changed. It’s the device that is the ‘master’ - it goes to sleep and wakes up only to listen for potential new data, with the last given interval. Although a push on the back-button activates a ‘forced request/wake-up’.
Giving the opportunity to reduce the frequency to less than 1 minute will be considered in a potential update. It’s quite dramatic how battery life is reduced. Going from 1 minute to 1 second is factor 1:60. And thus from several months to a few days. But - a ‘hack’ opportunity with emphasis on this, could definitely be an idea. It’s put in the back-log.
Big thx!

Hey does smpl work on the new homey pro 2023 ? having a hard time migrating to the new one. app and settings are working fine but no data on display.

What can I do?

thanks

1 Like

It should, but we can’t test as we don’t have a new Pro yet. Waiting in line together with everyone else. Please reach out to Athom support until we receive and are able to test etc.
Sorry that I can’t be more helpful.

1 Like

thanks , the app work fine, see data on the app, reduced the noise by shutting down hue and use different wifi channels.

new homey pro works for me on zigbee channel 25, also removed batt for a day but nothing works

I keep on seeing device is connected to your hub. also I see shortly (less than a second) the old data before moving again to device is connected.

is there some way to debug this and or have some deep/factory reset.

thanks

1 Like

thanks , no problem. the smpl device on homey app (mobile/web) shows the correct data at least.
I see on the beta notes that zigbee group message are not yet working. don’t know if you rely on that part,

1 Like