[APP][Pro] smpl products - Battery powered e-ink display

Looks great!
One question though, it seems that on a change in information the image inverts and flashes, does that happen on any data refresh or only when you (manualy) make a change?

1 Like

On the Aqara TVOC, the screen only flashes every 4-5 changes in my memory (so as not to leave any traces). Maybe there is still some optimization possible here.

1 Like

I can not wait to try this out!
And the pause flow is also nice, when everybody is asleep or nobody is home.

1 Like

There is no flashing when updating data (partly refresh). It only flashes, when you change the entire display layout - as in the demo. And once in a while to make sure there is no screen burn.

2 Likes

It only flashes when the entire display layout is changed (as in the demo) and once in a while (not every 4-5 changes). When each sensor template (data slot) changes, there is no flash (partly refresh).

2 Likes

…and if you look closer, the ppm values actually change during the demo (from apprx 2:00-2:30)

1 Like

I would say, put a tiny USB plug in it so it can also be external powered en up the refresh rate.

1 Like

Any news on a general release date for this device?

1 Like

Pre-order will start as soon as we have an approx shipment date. Please use the sign-up feature on the product web-page to get notified.

All components are secured for the first 1,000 batch, plastic molds are done and first-out-of-tool (FOT) samples have been reviewed, assembly optimization and final firmware adjustments are on-going. At the current progress we estimate shipment in late october; worst-case beginning of november.

Big Thx for your interest.

Ps! We did it: the first wireless, battery-powered, customizable smart home display. Exclusively developed for the Homey Pro

12 Likes

Do we have an update? I’m more excited for this product then the new Homey :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Thx for kind words @Maurits
We are almost on schedule. No major issues with the product, on the contrary, only sourcing and logistics.
Please have a little more patience. We are getting very close now.
Launch and Pre-order being communicated first to sign-ups.

1 Like

I just received a pre-order notice I can’t get myself over the pricing. I understand you have steep costs to develop such a product but damn, 125€ is too much for me.
I can just hang a small tablet on the wall doing more.

Anyway I’m not here to bash, can you elaborate the pricing on this product? Did you undertake a marketevaluation?

It is a nice (niche) product and I’m excited for this. Any plans to develop this in black?

2 Likes

True,
Very interesting product, but the price is just too high for me.
Won’t say that you didn’t price it right, considering development cost. I just don’t know.
But for me such a device should be more in the price range of about 50 euro… :frowning:
Sorry, but still hope you sell enough to cover all costs. It seems a nice device! :+1:t2::smiley:

5 Likes

50 or 60 euros was I had in mind too. Great device, really, but out of my price range :cry:

1 Like

Thats what marketevaluation does, set a correct pricing so you’ll have maximum output. If you price too low people will think it is trash. Price it too high and people compare it to competitive products, even though there is none at the moment there are comparable products that can in fact do the same and more. Falling back to a common tablet you can pick up for arround 100 euro. You’ll have a cpu, storage, os, battery, screen, ram and so forth. If you can have all that for a 100 euros then an e-ink display with zigbee doesn’t rectify the costs.
You probably cover your costs more quickly if you price it reasonable. It takes longer to break even but you’ll have a targetgroup using your products and creating a roadmap for your company.

I only speak for myself but at this price it ain’t happening for me. It would be a shame if such a product will not make it. Youre bold enough to develop it and market it. Don’t let it go to waste…

1 Like

I think the price is way too high…

I actually did order one, just have to check it out…

But… If its good I would probably want one in each room and some more… Easily 7-8 more devices - but not at that price!

50-60 Euros is reasonable, and you would probably sell 100 times more units…

I doubt you will move the 1000 units at the current price

Recalculate :wink:

2 Likes

125 euros is a lot of money, but when I look at their site a whole team has worked on it, and they are also not a big company like a xiaomi who can make the price very low. Unfortunately, producing a product is not free and then we have but not about the chip shortages that there are currently, which also drive the price high. Everything is becoming more expensive these days. so i understand this price. I hope they are allowed to sell enough of these smpl products.

2 Likes

I guess not all products are for everybody. There are so many cool and useful products that are simply not in my price range. I tend to think this is one of them. Looks cool, quite useful. I could think about very useful purpose for similar device in my home, lats say 3-4 of them. However, I personally do not want to pay that much for this use case. I do hope there are more of those that want and can.

Regardless, hope the product succeed and you find a way to continue developing it. All the luck.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Finally received my test unit for my YouTube channel!. If you´re interested you can watch here
smpl mini Display, det første i verden og så er det en DANSK opfindelse ! - til dit Homey Smarthome - YouTube - (Danish spoken, sorry)

Absolutely a great device with a unique feature (The display layouts), which makes the world of a difference, since you can display anything your homey can extract of data !, and easy switch between unlimited layouts… fantastic.

5 Likes