[APP][Pro] smpl products - Battery powered e-ink display

Oh wow… so effectively these displays are now useless even though they adhere to the Zigbee standard…?

I got mine display working after installing an IKEA bulb. But it stopped working a week ago and I can”t get it to work again. Not even after the latest Homey update. Very disappointing.

1/ Make sure to have the latest firmware 1.19/zigbee stack update 1.17.2 on your smpl mini display (all information is available in the online manual)

2/ Install the latest Homey Pro 2023 firmware 11.1

3/ Make sure you have at least one Zigbee router device close to your Homey Pro 2023 to have smpl connect via this device and not directly to Homey Pro

4/ Make sure to insert new/fresh batteries

5/ Delete existing display devices, smpl app and start over

6/ Avoid any Aqara Smart Plugs on your Homey Pro

We have tested the above and it works flawlessly with multiple connected displays.

Ad 1: firmware/zigbee stack update

If you have any trouble updating, please consider:

• trying different USB-cables (make sure it’s a data cable) and USB ports
  • if you have anti-virus software etc. installed that prevent the update process
  • trying another PC
  • continue trying multiple times

This has helped other users.

1 Like

For me the firmware upgrade of the display solved the problem. Was able to recconect right away after the upgrade.

2 Likes

Tried it all, didn’t help unfortunately.

The only thing Incan try is with an IKEA bulb, haven’t done that. Is it necessary that the bulb stays online after (successfully) connecting?

1 Like

Updated firmware and it did work! Hope it stays that :partying_face:

2 Likes

Nice! And with or without an extra hub (eg ikea bulb)?

For me with the IKEA bulb

Nothing, don’t have any ikea stuff but have several hue routers nearby…if it has anything to do with with it.

Ok, thanks. I will give it another go this weekend, also have a hue router nearby, but so far no luck

//update: no luck. :frowning:

Re-flashed both displays, removed the app from the homey, rebooted homey, reinstalled app. Used new fresh batteries again. Tried one placed on top of the homey while reconnecting, tried the other one close to a Hue bulb.

Nothing helped. I’m out of options now.

I thought Zigbee would make connecting iOT/Smart devices easier…

is the hue bulb connected directly to Homey Pro or via a Hue bridge?

via hue bridge. I don’t have it any other way…

Ah. Then it is not part of Homeys Zigbee network and it wont have any effect.

Hi all. I’ve been trying to update the firmware in my displays to get them working on the new version but I’m getting nowhere. The application installs ok, I go through the instructions but then I only get a spinner saying it’s looking for the device.

I’ve tried:

• Three different displays
  • Four different USB cords
  • A completely clean laptop without antivirus
  • Disabling every windows security feature I could find
  • Booting the computer in safe mode

Any advice is appreciated. How long should I be pressing the boot button? Should there be any visual indication on the display screen that something is happening?

Have you pressed the right button? There are two. The one that you use to link the device and another one. I used the wrong one the first time I tried. Look close at the picture in the firmware app.

Thanks Norbert for the advice. Unfortunately I’ve double and triple checked that I’m using the boot button. Did you experience any visual feedback on the screen when pressing it? How long did you have to wait until the application detected the device?

When I had the right button the waiting time until a response was really short, max 15 seconds.

Are you sure you have a data cable? I had to try a different cable too. Some cables are only for charging.

I’ve tried that too I’m afraid. have made sure that the cable I’m using is a data cable. In fact I’ve tried multiple data cables.

That is strange. If you had One device than possibly the data port could be faulty, but it is very unlikley that that would happen on three devices. When I tried I didn’'t change anything on my Windows laptop. mine has Windows 11. Just installed the app and excuted.