[APP][Pro] HomeKit Controller - for a better Homey

I dont understand how i add a device with this app. Is it possible to connect homepod mini?

No homepod mini is not supported.

The app supports homekit capable device that use wifi and have a pin to connect. Some Apple devices are sort of special like Hub, Homepod, and cant be connected.

I see. So there is no way to connect homepod to homey?

Hello! I put the aquara prencense sensor fp2 in homey via homekit controller. But then I had to delete it for some bug. But when I now try to add it again, I can’t find it
 But looks like it has contact when you look at the log. But there is no Devices under the app.

Can you describe exactly what you did? Both in homey and in aqara app.

Hi, having a hard time connecting an FP2 as well.

I set it up in the aquara app and seemed fine. I installed the Homekit Controller which picked up the sensor, it had three instances presumably the presence, illumination and a zone i set in the app. I didn’t have any luck adding these though. I selected one and put in the code from the arm on the sensor, a black box popped up that looked good but when clicked OK it just dropped back to the same window with only an ok or cancel option. Ok just looped round, cancel aborted the installation.

I tried removing the FP2 from the aquara app, resetting the FP2 (10 quick presses), removing and reinstalling the Homekit app and restarting the homie app. I added the FP2 back on the aquara app, reinstalled Homekit Controller and tried again, but now when go to the Homekit icon under add devices no new device is found.

Sounds like i probably should have waited longer after adding the PIN, and now i have a similar problem to Mulstad82 .

Any ideas?

I’m trying to decide whether to get Homey Pro
 Some questions about HomeKit integration with Homey Pro:

1. If we use this HomeKit Controller app to make Homey Pro the HomeKit controller for a number of HomeKit only devices, then they will no longer show up in the Apple Home (or other HomeKit) app?

2. So, we can use HomeKitty to have these devices show up in the Apple Home app again?

3. I suppose the main advantage of using the HomeKit Controller is because Homey Pro’s automations are more sophisticated than HomeKit automations (IMO HomeKit automations are not very powerful at all, and shortcuts are very slow)?

4. A disadvantage of making Homey Pro the controller is if it goes down, the devices cannot be used. If HomeKit is the controller, then if the Apple controller (iPod or Apple TV) goes down, another Apple controller (another iPod or Apple TV) will automatically take over, and HomeKit devices will continue to work just fine.

5. Due to availability considerations, an alternative would be to just keep HomeKit as the main controller, use the Homey Pro Virtual Devices app to introduce Homey virtual devices to HomeKit, and then use HomeKit automations to keep HomeKit devices in sync with the Homey Pro virtual devices. This method doesn’t sacrifice availability. However, if someone has a lot of devices, it will take a lot of HomeKit automations to keep the virtual devices in sync. Granted, they are simple automations. For example, for door sensors: if homekit door is open (or closed), update virtual device door to open (or closed).

6. Yeah, using virtual devices is a lot of work, so I see the HomeKit Controller as useful to many folks. But I suppose another concern: is HomeKit Controller generic enough so that if a homekit device hasn’t been tested with it, it should be able to add the device w/o any issues?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I’ve tried a few things with no real luck.

I swapped the FP2, set it up in the aqara app, but again no detection in the homekit app.

I found a suggestion to disconnect power to the sensor and reconnect it just before press connect on the Homekit IP screen. That failed the first time, but on the second attempt the FP2 showed up. Unfortunately while it worked at first I tried adding a zone which I couldn’t link to and the FP2 then showed a red triangle error and reported connection refused.

I followed a suggestion to remove and re-pair but I was then back to failing to detect on the Homekit IP screen.

My homey has very little connected, a few IKEA bulbs and motion sensor, a nimly door lock and some LIFX bulbs. The Homey and App are both updated, so is the firmware on the FP2.

I’ve tried restarting the Homey, the app and the FP2 but no luck.

Anyone have any better idea how I messed this up!

Hello Martin,

First, thanks for your comprehensive work, including this very useful piece of software.

I ran into a problem with homekit controller, though. I created a diag report should you need it (873182a3-9021-4dc1-8e54-d78ad1c37029)

As far as I can tell, the service hangs once a day due to a socket disconnect.
It may be due to the device willing to go to energy saving mode

Here is the (redacted IP) relevant log entries =

2024-08-30T00:53:09.420Z [log] 192.168.X.Y:5010 Persistent connection client got disconnected
2024-08-30T00:53:09.419Z [log] Socket close 192.168.X.Y 5010
2024-08-30T00:53:09.415Z [log] Socket end 192.168.X.Y 5010
2024-08-30T00:53:09.398Z [log] Socket connect 192.168.X.Y 5010
2024-08-30T00:52:50.584Z [log] [ManagerDrivers] [Driver:hapIP] [Device:4beb4c09-680e-4933-8f13-41ec11e6f6b5] Multiprise Bureau listenToEvents.event-disconnect subscribe success
2024-08-30T00:52:50.401Z [log] Socket connect 192.168.X.Y 5010
2024-08-30T00:52:47.361Z [log] 192.168.X.Y:5010 Persistent connection client got disconnected
2024-08-30T00:52:47.361Z [log] Socket close 192.168.X.Y 5010
2024-08-30T00:52:47.360Z [err] Socket error 192.168.X.Y 5010 read ECONNRESET
2024-08-30T00:52:47.352Z [log] Socket close 192.168.X.Y 5010
2024-08-30T00:52:47.349Z [err] Socket error 192.168.X.Y 5010 read ECONNRESET
2024-08-29T18:00:00.071Z [log] [ManagerDrivers] [Driver:hapIP] [Device:4beb4c09-680e-4933-8f13-41ec11e6f6b5] Multiprise Bureau writeCharacteristic success {
characteristics: [ { aid: [BigNumber], iid: [BigNumber], value: 0 } ]
} onoff1 0 0
2024-08-29T18:00:00.044Z [log] [MyApp] {
capability: ‘onoff1’,
value: 0,
characteristic: {
iid: 14,
type: ‘00000025-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291’,
format: ‘bool’,
perms: [ ‘pr’, ‘pw’, ‘ev’ ],
ev: false,
lastUpdated: 1724945107404
},
aid: ‘1’
} {
iid: 14,
type: ‘00000025-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291’,
format: ‘bool’,
perms: [ ‘pr’, ‘pw’, ‘ev’ ],
ev: false,
lastUpdated: 1724945107404
}

I had another go today, and got it going.

Instead of the 10 second press restart on the FP2 i tried the ten rapid press factory reset. It connected then and is working fine now.

Hello,
I hope someone can help me to solve a problem with my FP2.
After I had a problem with a new update in the Aqara app, I had to reset and restart the FP2. But as soon as I’m in the “Enter Homekit PIN” menu, Homey says “Connection refused, power cycle and please try to add after.”
I did that at this point, but the same message keeps coming up.

This is an issue in my app. I am using the device id aqara gives me as the device id in homey as well. When you do a factory reset, it will change the id.

Delete the device from homey and restart the homekit controller app.

Restart the add device.

Hello! Need help. Not sure what is going on. I noticed that FP2s I had started disconnecting. I decided to remove them and add them back. For some reason, it doesn’t work. I tried adding after doing a long press of 10 sec and then tried after doing 10 presses reset. I first added it to the Aqara App and then, removed it from the Homekit App. In the homekit controller app on Homey, I get “No new devices have been found” no matter what I try. Tried restarting the app, reinstalling as well, and restarting Homey. When I go back to the Homekit app, the device is discoverable. Thanks for any suggestions

I don’t fully understand that. It always takes me several attempts (disconnecting the power) to even find the FP2 with the controller app and then typing in the PIN takes quite a while. Until then, the light on the FP2 will no longer flash. I should now disconnect the FP2 from the power a second time to maintain a connection during the yellow light, right? I’m pretty desperate because after what feels like hundreds of attempts it still doesn’t work.

Nothing to understand really.

It sometime takes minutes before the fp2 makes itself known on the network with a broadcast.

When you do factory reset of the fp2 it will no longer have the ID it was known by in Homey, if the device was added.

Again to start from scratch do the following

If the device is already in Homey, delete it. For the sake of it, rrstart the app.

Remove the network setting from the fp2 by pressing the fp2 until it flashes yellow.

Add to the aqara app.

Wait a few minutes and add to Homey. If it fails again, pm me the log from the app. NOT diagnostic log but feom the app settings! That will give me more info.

Just to be sure. You have no rules that disallowed mDNS traffic?

What you say in bullet 2 about IOS I guess is irrelevant to me since I added the device til the Aqara app with an Andorid phone.

I have now deleted the device in Homey again since I got the red tringle error “Device not available”.
The last time I did this I waited a day or so before it showed up in the dialog to create a new device based on the HomeKit Controller app. Now I have waited for an hour or sĂ„ and it still hasn’t showed up. Is it normal that I have to wait for several hours?

Update after more than one day:
The device is still not showing up when adding device in Homey.
So I have reset it holding the button in for over 30 seconds till it blinked yellow. Then I added it again in the Aqara app.
Then trying to add it in Homey, but still it does not appear in the installation dialog. How long I have to wait this time I don’t know. When I ping the device from a PC the response time often is 250ms or more, can that be the problem?

I don’t know why. Maybe I had a little more patience than before. Now everything is working as usual again. Thank you for your help :+1:

Hello again. I tried using the factory reset on another one. Added it back to the Aqara app as new. Then I removed it from the home app. Homey still doesn’t see it. But when I check the home app and try to add a new device, it pops up, so it means it is definitely broadcasting. I tried restarting the homekit controller, unplugged and plugged FP2. Still, the home app sees it, while homey doesn’t. There should be a new ID, as I completely reset the sensor. I hope I am missing something and it is fixable. Thanks

Assuming that Homey and the FP2 are in the same network (if not, that’s probably your issue), try rebooting Homey. Homey’s discovery system can be a bit, um, “temperamental”.