[APP][Pro] Heating Controller with utility prices

Check the checkbox in Settings → Price settings.

1 Like

Excellent, I have been looking for an app that can take both utility and grid cost into consideration when controlling devices. I have now set the utility price (strømregning) app to Nordpool and checked the option in the heating controller to get price from the utility price app. When I now use card such as “Current price is % aboove…” - will this calculation then also take into consideration grid cost changes during the day/night?

Yes, it will.

1 Like

Trying to use this app to create a flow that turns on my water heater only during the 6 cheapest hours in a day. That works fine, but I also need a flow to turn it off when it’s not one of those hours.

Tried to turn on at the 6 cheapest hours and off at the 18 most expensive, but that apparently does not work. How can a turn it off when not among the cheapest hours?

Found the answer myself. Instead used the trigger when utility prices change and then the 6 hour cheap in the and part instead.

Yes, perfect! That’s a good solution

I’m a bit confused about some of the sample flows. If one uses for example the trigger:

WHEN: ‘Low prices 18 hours of the day’

…why was the AND condition for Logic ‘low price’ also added? Isn’t that implicit in the trigger itself? It would be surprising if the logic ‘low price’ was set to false if the ‘Low prices’ trigger was triggered. Right?

Yes, that trigger will trigger every hour, with low price true or false.

You can check if using the “Utility price changed” trigger, together with
the “Current price is among the 18 hours of the days lowest prices” condition is better for you.

Thanks. Your suggestion makes sense, but it is still confusing that the Low prices trigger will trigger every hour, given that the description (when hovering over the ‘i’ at the trigger card in Homey) says:

“Triggers when the utility price changes, and the price is among the lowest prices of the day”.

Technically, that is not true (since it triggers every hour, irrespective of the current price), and it will most likely confuse new users that don’t take to the forums to understand it. I’m not trying to be difficult here (and I really appreciate all your good work on many Homey apps). I suppose there might be technical reasons why it doesn’t work like the info bubble says, but perhaps you should consider making that information stand out more, somehow. It even sounds like the card is redundant, given that the same thing can be achieved with other cards, and with less confusion. Removing it is of course not possible given that many users probably have it in their flows, but maybe the info bubble could say it is deprecated?

1 Like

Yes, deprecating it might be the best option.
Using price changed plus a condition is easier, also to develop.

Hi, looking at The insight graph, it Looks like The trigger “current price is among the X hours of lowest between XX and yy” reset at midnight even when the period I specify is before and after midnight. I’ll post an example where I want the boiler to only be on during the cheapest 3 hours between 16:00 and 15.59 the next day. Looking at The insight graph it Looks the boiler has been on for 6hours (3 before midnight and 3 after midnight).

Hello @balmli

Would it be possible to calculate and add two new tags. Minimum price of tomorrow and maximum price of tomorrow.

With these one could make a decision is it more profitable to produce energy to the grid or to use the energy yourself (with their own production, solar panels etc.).

Rought example:
if (minSpotNextDay+ElectricityTransmissionFee)<CurrentSpot then it is more profitable to produce to the grid now and get the needed energy from the grid on next day.

EDIT:
Noticed that there might be problem that the prices are published in the afternoon to the next day, so what to give as minSpotNextDay before that…

@balmli
Have this issue been investigated?
Will this card work for day spanning?

Yes, will check prices for today & tomorrow, if prices for tomorrow have been downloaded.

Awesome app idea and functions! Almost too much choices. I’m trying to wrap my mind around all the conditions. Can I ask for the condition tips to be revised to be more specific on for example if “the following hours” includes current hour, and similar ambiguities explained.

I seek for something like “the next hours, hours from now is percent cheaper/more expensive than current hour”. This to predict if boost heating current hour is favorable, and then (in other flow) stop heating the next hours.

1 Like

Not even possible with text tag in this format (xx:xx) ?

Noted :slight_smile:

Yes, text tags in “hh:xx” format would work, but the flows are now using the time format.

@balmli, thanks for great contributions to Homey!

I use Heating Controller to determine the operating mode of Piggy Bank. The operating mode depends on a combination of most of HC’s state, so I’d need to start the flow with almost all of HC’s state change cards (I think I would need 8 triggers!). Being lazy (and avoiding risk of forgetting something), I’ve chosen to start the flow every X minutes:

This is OK, but I’d really welcome a “When” card which triggers on any HC state change!

Yes, and that’s the “Comfort more is enabled” and “ECO mode is enabled” triggers.