[APP][Pro] HDashboards Companion - The Homey Dashboard

HDashboards - the Homey Dashboard

Nederlandse post vind je hier

This post is made in consultation with Menno van Hout, the founder of HDashboards.
His vision is to make a Homey Dashboard that’s good, reliable and customizable. HDashboards works real-time, connecting straight to your Homey’s Socket.io.

Note: this is a community made dashboards, not the dashboard announced by athom.

This post contains the following chapters:

1. Why and when did HDashboards start?
  2. What are possibilities of HDashboards?
  3. How does the HDashboards companion app work and what options does it have?
  4. Community, tutorials, help and contact.
  5. FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
    • 5.1 Who is the founder of HDashboards?
    • 5.2 I found a bug/have a feature request, what do i do?
    • 5.3 Why do i have a different layout on different devices?
    • 5.4 HDashboards says homey is offline, how to fix that?
    • 5.5 How does HDashboards connect to homey?
    • 5.6 Is HDashboards secure?
    • 5.7 Are there examples of dashboards?
    • 5.8 On which platforms does HDashboards work?
    • 5.9 How can i change the background?
    • 5.10 What does HDashboards cost?
    • 5.11 After a refresh, my colors reset.
    • 5.12 How can i make advanced graphs?
    • 5.13 Can i upload pictures to HDashboards?
    • 5.14 Can I show my trash dates on the dashboard?
    • 5.15 Can I show timers on the dashboard?
    • 5.16 What is HBeat?
    • 5.17 How do I transfer my lay-out to a new homey?
    • 5.18 I Can’t Access My Dashboard on Any Platform / I Changed My Password – What Should I Do?
    • 5.19 What are the HDashboards color codes?
    • 5.20 how to display your current location and travel times?
2 Likes

1. Why and when did HDshboards start?

HDashboards was registered on the 21st of August 2023 and started in beta stage in september 2023. The founder Menno van Hout, wanted to make a dashboard thats easy to create, but also has andvanced possibilities. Since the beginning, there have been many performance and feature updates. Within one year after launch, we have: 3300 users, over 6.800 dashboards, over 73.000 dashboard cards

2. What are the possibilities of HDashboards?

Create multiple dashboards: you are able to switch between dashboards by flow or by opening it on the device.
User management: Be in control of your house. Full permission system choose who can “view”, “use”, “edit” and “share” the devices and dashboards.
Create a different layout per device: the layout will be safed per amount of horizontal squares (in edit mode), this makes it possible to make certain cards bigger on a bigger devices than on a smaller phone.
Speaker cards: use the speakers connected to homey on your dashboard. Note: layout depends on the card size).
Flow card: start an homey flow by pressing a card on your dashborad.
Device card: select your homey device and show a value (capability) on your dashboard.
Flow token card: select your home variable/flow token and show the value on your dashboard.
Thermostat card: select your thermostat device in homey and controll it on your dashboard. Note: layout depends on the card size).
Open dashboard card: open another dashboard (page).
Multicard: make it possible to add multiple devices, titles, flow tokens etc inside one card.
Clock cards: add dan clock on your dashboard.
Title card: add a text on your dashboard.
Image card: show your homey images on your dashboard or use any image link to show the image on your dashboard
Video card: add direct video links (also mp4) and rtsp links to play on your dashboard.
Timeline card: shows your homey timeline (possible to add a filter)
Webview card: makes it possible to add websites. (this one is often used by homewizard p1 users) . (This card may not always work on all platforms).
Calendar card: this card supports ICS files like the google and microsoft calendar. Make sure you use your secret address instead of the public one as the public does not contain your appointments.
Background: you are able to add your own picture as background.
Gauge Meter: Select a numerical variable to display, with an arrow that, depending on the value, points to colors of your choice.
Click here for the video about the gauge meter.
coming soon: battery card: shows battery status of devices below a certain level.

Note: there are more options by using the HDashboards companion app, please read the next chapter for more information.

3. How does the HDashboards companion app work and what options does it have?

By using the hdashboards companion app, you get the following extra options:

IF cards:

• IF any card has been pressed (Card ID can be found/changed by editting the card in HDashboards and pressing the advanced button)
  • IF a dashboard has been opened (by a certain user)

THEN cards:

• THEN: change background color of the card.
  • THEN open a dashboard X
  • THEN refresh dashboard for user X
  • THEN send a notification to user X (for Y amound of time)

• The HDashboards companion app can be downloaded from here.

• In order to safe settings in the cloud, please add the key (in your HDashboards account) into the hdashboards companion app configuration settings: press companion app in the menu, follow this video tutorial or folow the first 2 steps in this written tutorial:

4. Community, tutorials, help and contact.

• Our facebook community can be found here.
  • Our discord community can be found here.
  • Our tutorials can be found here.
  • Our community tutorials can be found here.
  • Our blogs can be found here.
  • Contact with Menno van Hout, founder:
    info@hdashboards.app

We have an very active community that’s always willing to help. We even organize live events

5. FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):

• 5.1 Who is the founder of HDashboards?
Menno van Hout is the founder of HDashboards. When he created HDashboards, he worked for a big software company. A couple of months after creating HDashboards, he started to work for Athom (Homey).

• 5.2 I found a bug/have a feature request, what do i do?
Feature requests can be added here.
Once per month, you ll get votes to give some feature requests more attention.

We try our best to reduce the amount of bugs as much as possible. We do have a test team for android, ios and web. Yet, it can happen. Bugs can be reported here.

• 5.3 Why do i have a different layout on different devices?
The layout will be safed per amount of horizontal squares (in edit mode), this makes it possible to make certain cards bigger on a bigger devices than on a smaller phone. If you want to edit the layout of your tablet on a pc, just check out how many horizontal squares the tablet has, go to your pc to settings, and change the “max width” of the pc to the same amount your tablet has.

• 5.4 HDashboards says homey is offline, how to fix that?
It might occur that HDashboards gives an “homey offline” error. This error most often occurs when the homey cloud has or has had issues. To solve this issue, restart your Homey and force close the HDashboards app.

• 5.5 How does HDashboards connect to homey?
HDashboards tries to connect using a direct (socket) connection to your dashboard. If not possible, the data will be sent using the athom cloud.
HDashboards uses an cloud in Amsterdam. The cloud is used to store images you uploaded on the hdashboards website, to store layout and to transform image links. No device/flow data will be stored in the cloud. We do safe your name, payment information and email adress.

• 5.6 Is HDashboards secure?
Yes, HDashboards runs fully local, we only store layouts in the cloud. No device information will be safed (UUID’s only). We follow all the regulations of the Dutch Law. Hdashboards uses a on to on connection to Homey.

• 5.7 Are there examples of dashboards?
Please check the gallery here.

• 5.8 On which platforms does HDashboards work?
HDashboards works on web
HDashboard works on android.
HDashboards works on IOS.

• 5.9 How can i change the background?
Go to the dashboard page, press edit, edit the dashboard and you ll find the option the change the background and transparency of the cards.

• 5.10 What does HDashboards cost?
We offer the following packages:

• FREE Trial: 14 Days access, 1 User, Unlimited dashboard, Unlimited Cards, Single Homey,
  • € 25: Standard, 1 Year access, 10 Users, Unlimited dashboard, Unlimited Cards, Single Homey
  • € 20: 1 Additional Homey, 1 Year access, 10 Users, Unlimited dashboard, Unlimited Cards, Multi Homey’s (+ 1 homey)

• 5.11 After a refresh, my colors reset.
Please make sure you add the key into the app settings of the companion app. Check written tutorial step 1 & 2 or video tutorial .
Note: on some devices, the key might not be fully visible. Make sure you select the full key before copying.

• 5.12 How can i make advanced graphs?
Please check this tutorial.

• 5.13 Can i upload pictures to HDashboards?
Yes you can upload your picture here and press on the eye icon. You can now copy and paste the link into an image card.

• 5.14 Can I show my trash dates on the dashboard?
Yes, check the tutorial here.

• 5.15 Can I show timers on the dashboard?
Yes, check the tutorial here.

• 5.16 What is HBeat?
HBeat is a tool that checks the status your homey every 15 minutes. If your status changes from online to offline or the other way around, i twill actively send you an email to notify you.

• 5.17 How do I transfer my lay-out to a new homey?
If you bought a new homey and replaced an backup, you are able to transfer your dashboard aswell! Just go to the main website of hdashboards and register your new homey. Once you login on the main website, you ll find both your homeys under ‘home’. Press the blue ‘transfer’ button to transfer your dashboard.

• 5.18 I Can’t Access My Dashboard on Any Platform / I Changed My Password – What Should I Do?
If you’re unable to access your dashboard on any platform and encounter a login error, you can likely resolve the issue by visiting the HDashboards website and selecting ‘Register Homey.’ This problem often occurs after changing your Homey’s password.

• 5.19 What are the HDashboards color codes?
Dark Mode:

• Background (black): #121212
  • Card background (dark grey): #1E1E1E
  • Device on (green): #1D4A36

Light Mode:

• Background (pale blue-white): #EFF1F6
  • Card background (white): #FFFFFF
  • Device on (green): #56C78E

• 5.20 how to display your current location and travel times?
In order to display (current) locations, travel times, traffic jams or other information based on gps/coordinates, you could check this information and the “Here Free location & map services” app.

Other questions? Feel free to ask

I have said it before, but I would like to express once more how happy I am with this dashboard solution. It’s so easy to set up and create a basic dashboard, whether it’s on a tablet, a phone or pc/laptop. Yet you can do amazing things with it after you deep dive into all of its features.

I am a ‘it-should-work-out-of-the-box’ kinda person. And still I would like to have the ability to do a bit extra if I want to. That’s also to reason why I chose Homey over other home automation platforms. This dashboard embraces that philosophy.

I will share some of my dashboards soon to give you an impression :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Some examples:

3 Likes

Wow! I love your creations!

1 Like

This is beyond what i imagined when i created that feature haha! Awesome.

2 Likes

Anyone else who would like to share their creations? I am always looking for inspiration for my own dashboards.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Kind of jukebox! :wink: :wink: with a lot of Sonos speakers and Philips Hue lights!

1 Like

That’s so awesome Joris!

Those rectangle tiles are really nice. I especially like the Bands jukebox. Love a consistant design.

Unfortunately I have Nest /Chromecast devices all over my house and the Spotify app for Homey is not supporting these… :frowning:

2 Likes

Can you please tell me briefly how you got the text on the weather tab?

Which text? The ‘Buienradar’ and ‘Hooikoortsradar’ links? These are actually dashboard cards. If you flatten a dashboard card, the icon disappears and only the text remains.

I meant the text in the middle with the temperatures and windspeed. Is that a multicard with different devices?

Multicard indeed, but with Flow Tokens. I use the KNMI app for that.

I’m gonna need to look into the flow tokens. Haven’t used it. I’ve been away for a long time. Thanks for the clarification mate

1 Like