[APP][Pro] Beacon - Detect your presence with BLE beacons

I added Chipolo One without Chipolo app, stable for hours now. Rebooted Homey to test; was Not Detected. After 3 minutes it was Detected.

Install Beacon app
Add device Beacon->iBeacon AND press and hold Chipolo until it beeps (~10s)
Chipolos address should appear

Beacon app is great! I especially like that I can adjust verification.

1 Like

Okey, I got it working by flashing espresence, but that lowers the BLE power a lot. I keep digging :slight_smile:

I have a question about the Tile beacons.
I read that the Tile Pro 2020 does not work.
Do you know is the new Tile Pro (2022) works??

I want to use this, but i don;t want to buy tiles, that does not work with this app.
I hope you can clear this for me.

Thank you,

Henk

Tile went from public discoverable signal (up to 2019) to closed signal (from 2020). That probably is not changed back.
Why donā€™t you consider buying the supported iBeacon or Eddystone beacons?
Or maybe Feasycom:

Thank you for the reply.
I will take a look at those.

1 Like

I had trouble with Beacon not detecting the events when I leave home or come back, for instance it would show me as home for hours after Iā€™d left. Worked around it by rerunning my ā€œbeacon status changedā€ flow every 10 minutes. Eventual consistency - good enough for my purpose.

Great app! This app make beacons usable in an new way. One thought, many beacons (all?) have a button that is made for triggering a signal on the phone when used with a phone. Could this button be used to trigger flows in homey?

For example, pressing the button on my beacon triggers a flow to turn off all lights when leaving home. Or, pressing the button opens the garage and so onā€¦

Just a thought that would even expand the use of beacons. Maybe impossible, I donā€™t know.

@Koktail could you please edit this warning and also include the Mate 2020? Probably will save others from buying one too :cry:

Because the Pro 2020 was explicitly mentioned as not working, I didnā€™t even give it a second thought before buying a Mate 202x (and yeah I should have read the 763 messages in this topic :see_no_evil: )

UPDATE: After playing around a bit with the room assistant setup (next post), all of a sudden it seems like it discovered the Tile Mate 2020 as an ibeaconā€¦very very strange

Also another question, I have installed the room-assistant companion app on my iPhone (installed it for testing room presence functionality) and noticed the Beacon app also detects it, which sounds amazing!

Unfortunately, it seems everything is working RSSI gets updated etc, but after a few minutes, the state changes to detectable: NO and canā€™t find a way to get it working again, other than deleting and adding the beacon again.

Does anyone have a great idea how to resolve this?

UPDATE: After adding the device a couple of times, the connection now seems stable for 15+ minutes, but after i disconnect (for example leave the house) and get back, it does not reconnect.

@Koktail i have now 2 Tile Mate 2020ā€™s working, are the people that posted it shouldnā€™t work incorrect (and is it different from the Tile Pro), or did you maybe update the app since people reported it and is it now working? (it is discovered as an Ibeacon, not as a beacon)

There are some changes made by @Piero_F that add compatibility for ibeacons and eddystones.

Ah okay, well it seems the Time Mate 2020 work, maybe someone can test the Tile Pro 2020 too.

If someone does want to try:

1. Install the Tile app on your phone
  2. Install the Beacon app on Homey
  3. Connect the tile to the phone app
  4. Hide the tile on the phone app (select the tile, click more options, hide) and close the phone app completely (also no background use)
  5. In homey, add a device, select beacon, ibeacon
  6. It will not find anything, click back (so you can add beacons again)
  7. Press the tile until it beeps
  8. While itā€™s beeping, try to select ibeacon again and see if it can be found. Sometimes it doesnā€™t work the first time, just try step 7-8 again)

I donā€™t know why step 5-6 are necessary, but it wonā€™t discover the first time with me even when you press the button in step 7 without doing 5 & 6 (maybe you can also do step 7-8 twice lol), might be different on the Pro, but steps 5-6 are at most unnecessary)

The above works with a Tile Mate 2020, added 3 now, might also work with the Pro, but donā€™t have one to test with

2 Likes

Also bought a Tile Pro 2020, just cause I wanted to know if they work too now, and Iā€™ve just added it and it seems to work fine.

Iā€™ve used the method above, can someone owning a tile 2020 confirm itā€™s working for them too?

Another side note, Iā€™ve restarted Homey yesterday (with 2 Tile Mateā€™s connected) and after the restart, the tiles didnā€™t update anymore, right-click (in the web interface of homey) and click repair fixed that issue, so potentially you need to do that again after every reboot on every tile.

My tile pro 2018 is sometimes a few seconds ā€˜goneā€™ then it pops up and marks me as home againā€¦ this happens sometimes during night. The Tile is always in my jacket in the hallway 4 meters away from Homey

Do you use the settings: 15-1-10?

Sorry can you point me in the right direction? Lost the context hereā€¦

Go to the app settings and use this settings:

That is stable for the most of us

2 Likes

Thanks! Changed it. Hopefully this solves that issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did it solves your issue?

I think so! No connection loss thusfar

1 Like