[APP][Pro][Deprecated] Arlo - Security Camera

Hi the user you created for the homey on arlo extra have to be given access rights to your arlo you do that in the arlo app and then verify that thru email i think it is. Been a while sins i created my own :wink: i think you need to atleast once log on with your new account with the arlo app also.

You also need to turn off Two-step verification.

I’m hoping that it will be possible to turn on/off this button :slight_smile:!

So i finally figured it out. There must be a bug in the arlo web ui, as I tried several times to allow extra rights there, but it never worked. Back in the arlo app I see it was not set. Once set from the app I could add the base station.

However, I am hesitant that a third party app like this one should need the extra rights in my arlo account. It would be preferable if this was not needed, and could be a deal breaker for many I think.

Also, I noticed the motion alarm triggered almost instantly as expected. But then it was still active an hour later. What’s up with that? I would expect it to back to normal at least when the video recording was done. A restart of the app made the status go back, but how should it work?

Ok couple of things to unpack.

If my app doesn’t have access “rights” it can’t see your devices. To put it bluntly it’s like me lending you my car then getting upset because you also need the keys in order to use it.

This is not some thing I am demanding in addition just because I want it. (Honestly until this moment I hadn’t even seen that setting). If this is something that will stop people from using the app then that is their choice.

I’ve seen issues with the motion/audio alarms staying on. Please shutdown the Athom Homey app and restart it. In my experience it seems to be an issue in their app where the app caches. If this is the case then there isn’t anything I cancan do.

It might need some testing but I don’t think this affects the flows … it’s just the tile in the device itself.

If restarting the athom homey app on your phone does not fix the issue please send me a diagnostic log and I’ll look into it. If you could do it with in 10 minutes (of the initial motion) that would be ideal.

1 Like

Latest update gives more feedback when the login fails, based on the logs @Sigurdur_Birgisson you sent me, you actually got stopped from logging in due to the number of incorrect attempts.

I also had a chance to look briefly into the 2FA implementation of Arlo. I would expect that it will ruin this app. From what I have seen it will require the a SMS confirmation code be sent every. single. time you are logged out. (ie. if either homey or your base station loose power or internet, or a couple of days pass).

You can read more here https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Mandatory-Two-Step-Authentication-Verification-a-Bad-Idea/m-p/1760890#M4454. I would suggest that you create a post if you disagree with the implementation.

If they could implement a trusted device function to the 2FA it could work with the app but we will see if they do that or if they put it mandatory without trusted device… I agree it would be insanely stupid to force it on to every logon it would break alot of 3rd part integration applications for many home automation systems.

// Ted

I talked to arlo through the chatt today…

Hi, I got an email that you will activate 2FA by the end of the year. I really hope that arlo reconsider 2FA… If not, I will get rid of all my cameras… Really bad idea to not let user decide for themselves…
Is it possible for you to reconsider?

Arlo:10:27 AM
Thank you for raising that question. The 2FA or most likely called "Two-steps verification, it is actually depending on your decision whether to activate it or not.
The massive email pertaining to 2FA was just a heads-up that we have 2FA feature for reassuring.
Arlo Support

10:30 AM
In the email I received, it says that two-step activation will be turned on automatically by the end of the year

Arlo: 10:32 AM
Yes but you can actually disable that if you don’t want to use that kind of feature.

Thats great news, if they ever do offer trusted device then ill investigate adding it to my plugin.

1 Like

More from chatt :slightly_smiling_face:

11:41 AM
Okey so you isn’t going to require it? It’s a big difference between have a choice and requires :slightly_smiling_face:

11:43 AM
No, it isn’t.

11:43 AM
So I will still have a choice even if that you require it?

11:45 AM
Yes, you do have a choice. The customers always have a choice to make. Don’t worry. :smiley:
Arlo Support

Slightly conflicing answer there from arlo but if it is auto activated and it is possible to disable it well then that is also ok sins i gues sins we use multiple accounts for the app and personal … Then it would be doable to use 2fa on the mobile app and disable it for the account for the homey account. For those that would like todo it that way.

Installed .600 today. Time todo all tests from scratch again :slight_smile:

I have been running 2.0.600 a few hours. So far so good :slightly_smiling_face:

Any new features on its way?

It seems someone at Arlo is lying, chatt or community :disappointed:

“As part of our efforts to continually evolve and further strengthen our privacy and security practices, Arlo announced it will now require all users to use two-factor authentication when logging into their Arlo account. The new security mandate will go into effect for new users in Q2 of 2020, and will require existing Arlo users to enable the feature on their current Arlo accounts by end of year. While Arlo has strongly encouraged its users to enable two-factor authentication since its introduction, Arlo believes requiring this added layer of security is yet another measure we can take to help our users safeguard their accounts and their data”

UPDATE:
I’ve got this email from Arlo a minute ago. They are sorry for the wrong information I got when I contacted the support…

Please know that the 2FA or most likely called “two-steps verification” is really do required as we discussed this with our team and already been raised this query to our appropriate department, they said that 2FA is really required by the end of the year, we would like to apologize for the information that we relay to you. That’s why this email is for us to correct the said information we had provided.

Disappointing, if they change their requirements to the industry standard of one a device is authorised it no longer needs a sms - then I’ll find a way to add the feature to the app. Otherwise there is no choice …

In the mean time I’ll continue to pay around with this app.

2 Likes

@Jamie when will you start adding cameras?

Last Friday …

You should update the app :stuck_out_tongue:

V2.1.100 - adds support for vnc4030p

1 Like

can not see them :frowning: