Zwave device’s as a repeater

He said, that if the network-powered z wave devices wil be adjusted in the setup as “always on” than you cannot switch off the device (e.g. If you set up a wall switch as “always on” you cannot swich off it, just switch on).
The “always on” should normally mean, that the zwave radio signal (at network-powered devices) will not go to sleep so it will work always as a repeater/router.
He said: “Well, this is not the case with Homey, in fact, even though it enters the system as a network-powered routing-slave device, it should be on a slave-always. From this point on, the mesh network will not work.”

The z-wave chip inside every mains powered device is always separate, otherwise you could never turn on a device again.
The always on has nothing to do with routing, and is just (as the name suggests) to not being able to turn off the (usually) relay inside, not even every manufacturer implements this.

About the slave vs routing slave.
Like i said, a powered device is always a router, as this is mandatory, this it outside the control of the manufacturer or especially the controller it is connected to, as it is done by the z-wave chip itself as soon as it is flagged “mains powered”, or rather, it is on opt-out as you can only flag a “battery powered” flag.
The flag of it being a routing slave or “normal” slave is a decision the manufacturer can make, the controller can not change this at all.

if you can give me any proof as where this is mentioned (official documentation, not just because “some guy said this”) that a “normal” slave is not a router, even though it is a mains powered device, then I will believe this accusation.

As until now that is not what the official z-wave documentation says.

EDIT: oh and would also like to see/know which powered device was included as non “routing slave”, as all the 17 different kind/brand of powered devices i have are all labeled as “basic routing slave”, even devices without a “always on” option, and yes they do all route.

I have read this opinion in a hungarian Facebook group, and I was shocked, because the mesh network is a KO criterion for me. I’m not an expert, and I plan to buy a Homey, so I cannot test it.
So your personal experience is that the network-powered devices work always as a repeater/router. Right?

I have never seen any device that would not route, not just my devices, but many other peoples devices.
Devices can take weird routes, yes, but never seen no routing powered device.

Thank you for your feedback!

In my experience (with an eedomus controller) all Zwave nodes can act as a conduit in the mesh, mains as well as battery powered. The only issue with Homey is that apparently there is no way to optimize the zwave mesh, as with the eedomus. see my question in a similar topic: Very poor zwave range and bizzare mesh

1 Like

That is rather strange. Because according to the Z-wave standard, battery powered devices do not act as a router:

Makes sense.

Sorry but I lost my mind. :grinning:

I plan to install a Zwave (double or simple) smart relay switch (behind the normal wall switch) in every rooms of my new house.
These are network-powered Zwave tools (smart relay switches) so these should work as a repeater/router.
I think so I will have a stable Zwave network in my house (becuse in ALL rooms will be practically a Zwave repeater/router).
I’m right, or wrong? It’s works with Homey or not?

In theory you are right, you should have stable network. In reality, there are many factors that can have impact on network performance. Size of the house/distance between devices, place where master unit (Homey) is located, interference with other radio appliances, material of walls etc. But in general, with this kind of setup you shouldn’t have issues :wink:

1 Like

I think if the mesh network works correct than not so important the placement of the Homey.
The house will be 2 levels , each 150m2.
The maximum distance of the wall swiches (smart relays) will be ~3m.
The wall will be made by brick, thickness max. 30cm.

Yes, thats the theory :slight_smile:. In reality, you want to achieve more direct routes or routes with minimal number devices with routing, because of network throughput and device responsiveness to commands. Try to look on topic called Homey antenna mod topic how it can improve direct to device communication.

Make only sure that you include all you devices unsecure instead of secure, that is more efficient like the antenna mod.
After I switched my devices from secure to Unsecure,
that improved my Z-Wave a lot. No delays anymore and even control multiple devices at the same time works like a charm! :grinning:

1 Like

How can you select unsecure pairing mode? Or which devices are you talking about? Thanx.

I will do it.

Thank you good idea. Could you explain how can do it?

2 Likes

Reincluded fibaro modules that were secure added before. Now in unsecure mode group control works much much much faster. Thanx Osorkon for this hint! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! What is the “cli installation”?

Thanks to the magnifying glass on top of the page:

1 Like