Yamaha receiver

@lucasvdh Do you mind to share a link to your github project so people can open issues if bugs are found?

Good to hear, I’ll let you know when I’ve added updates or if there are new features to test.

Regarding auto discovery of devices; yes this will be supported. I am still working on this but there is already a version present on the beta branch which you could test.

Yes, that’s probably a good idea. The new app is located at the link below. Feature requests and bug reports can be created as issues there. I will be adding some details to the readme and the contribution guidelines, for opening issues, tomorrow.

For people who are interested in installing the app before it’s in the app store and who have the technical know-how, you can do so via:

$ git clone git@github.com:lucasvdh/com.yamaha.receiver.git
$ cd com.yamaha.receiver
$ athom app install

By default this will install the beta version (since today).

Apparently I bricked auto discovery last time I was working on it :upside_down_face: I’ll look at that tomorrow as well.

Is there anyone here that has a MusicCast device and who could help me with something?

I’d like to know if MusicCast devices support UPnP the same way like receivers do. You could help me out by checking if the url below works for you and, if it does, by sending me the content that is returned.

http://{device-ip}:8080/MediaRenderer/desc.xml

There is nothing on 8080. The configuration runs on 80, but I only get an empty file on /MediaRenderer/desc.xml

I get this when doing discovery from the beta branch, is this the bug you were talking about?

Yes, this should be fixed now.

New beta version is available in the app store!

This update contains:

• Auto-discovery during pairing
  • New icons and logos
  • Media info (current track/album/artist)
  • Media controls (next/previous/play/pause)
  • Availability detection - If for whatever reason the device is no longer available, e.g. completely powered off or not connected to internet, the device will be marked as unavailable
  • Lots of fixes (so hopefully no more crashes)

Be aware that the new beta currently only supports Yamaha receivers and not MusicCast devices. I’m still working on the driver for MusicCast devices.

Hi.
Tried the new version against my Yamaha RX-V3900 and it can’t find the receiver.
First it lost connection to it on App upgrade, saw that IP address was 0.0.0.0 in settings so changed to correct IP. Still not able to connect. Then I tried to remove it and add it again. Still not able to find it.
Does the new version only work with newer Yamaha receivers?

Hi Jonas,

The new version should work for all models referenced at the link below. This list includes the RX-V3900 so it supports UPnP (which is used to find and control the receiver). It does require re-adding your device though.

I’ll have to take a look at why the app doesn’t find your device. I’ll also try to create a fallback so you can still manually add your device if discovery fails.

I’m sorry for this inconvenience but sadly there was no other way than to release this version directly on beta.

Some background info on why I did this:

I was planning on releasing a completely new app and wanted to have some people test that in an alpha stage (closed testing by invite). However, because Athom removed this feature from the app store this was no longer an option because:

• an app can no longer be tested (alpha or beta) before it has a published release
  • Athom doesn’t want more than one app per brand in their app store

So my only two options were to either delete the current app and release my new one without MusicCast support or release the new version on the old app’s beta/testing channel. I chose the lesser of two evils.

If the new version doesn’t work for you please revert to the stable version.

@JonasW you could help me out by going to this link and posting the result here (or send it to me in a DM)

http://your.receiver.ip.address/YamahaRemoteControl/desc.xml

@lucasvdh I have added the info you requested on github.
I’m happy to do testing if needed.

1 Like

Hi in my case it took a while after installation of the app (minute or so) before the receiver was discovered. At first is could not find the receiver.

Unfortunately not for me.

I’ve published a new test version in the app store. If your device is not found via auto discovery you now have the option to manually enter an IP to add your device.

@Driesk what version of the app are you on? I thought I already fixed this issue.

Note to everyone: if you encounter an issue in the new test(beta) version, please open an issue on GitHub

The link is also available in the app store.

Just released v0.4.0 to beta.

Release notes:

• Fixed mute/unmute.
  • Fixed syncing of receiver values to buttons.
  • Fixed flow card triggers and actions.
  • Added a new way to parse responses from the receiver.
  • Removed error suppression, the app might completely crash now but it does give me a better insight into the errors so I can resolve them faster.

If you were experiencing issues before, please test again with this version. Even if the issue has not been resolved it will help me to track down the issue because I receive the crash reports now.

Cheers

Unfortunately still not working with RX-V3900.

Could someone with a MusicCast device please provide me with an example of what the status result looks like.

You should be able to get it by opening this link in your browser: http://192.168.1.x/YamahaExtendedControl/v1/main/getStatus
(Change IP-address to the address of your MusicCast device)

You can post it here or in the feature request on Github:

Trying to find a solution.

@JonasW just published a new test version which should finally allow adding a receiver device manually and unvalidated.

Although I think adding the device will not make it work because the validation of the device during the pairing relies on the same code as is used to control it when it’s added.

Initial MusicCast driver

Just published an initial musiccast driver. Probably still contains some bugs, but any testing/feedback is appreciated!