What Wi-Fi creds are passed when connecting a Matter over Wi-Fi device?

Hello!

I am trying to get an understanding of what creds are being used when a Matter over Wi-Fi device is connected. I normally would keep the Homey Pro connected to Eithernet or to my primary network that is 5 GHz however most of my smart home devices that connect over Wi-Fi (namely Matter over Wi-Fi) only support 2.4 GHz networks and often do not play nice with channel steering in my experience. Is there a way to specify the network and creds to Matter over Wi-Fi devices to get them to connect to a specified network or is the device just passing through the Wi-Fi network that it is connected to?

Using the Homey Web App, Matter over Thread devices will connect to Homey Pro’s Thread network (refer to “Thread for Homey Pro (Early 2023)” for more information). Matter over Wi-Fi devices will connect to the same Wi-Fi network as Homey Pro. If Homey Pro is not connected to Wi-Fi and only uses the Ethernet connection, it is necessary to manually select a Wi-Fi network while connecting the Matter device.

1 Like