Very unstable setup with many routers

Ok thanks. I still dont understand how its possible to avoid too many devices directly to the Homey though… Since all devices are routers they should just fix that themselves…?

Anyway, I’ll reset the network again later and rebuild slowly and note if one device triggers this…

Thanks!

FYI, I’m pretty sure this is a Futurhome issue, either with the app or with the sockets.

The Futurhome App has this CPU usage with 12 paired sockets:

My other app Elko Smart (with 19 paired dimmers and thermostats):

The load avg on the Homey device was fine up to 10 paired Futurehome sockets, then it started raising with the next two (stable on ~0.5). If I added two more it went above 2.5 so I removed them again.

Another strange issue with the same Futurhome devices is that they autmatically cut the power on the smart socket on some of the devices, both paired and unpaired. Even on paired sockets with the “always on” feature set to “yes”.

I have sent Futurehome a query, hoping for a quick reply.

1 Like

It might be a fault in the sockets 11/12 (sending garbage-data to Homey for instance). If you omit these and add sockets 13/14 as 11/12, is the effect the same?

Hi again,

just a quick update since I’m pretty sure I found the problem.

I deleted all sockets from the Homey network and setup a new Zigbee network with zigbee2mqtt. Adding one and one socket I quickly found out that 4 sockets spammed the network with active/power messages (1-2 every second). The rest of the sockets reported only once per minute.

I haven’t tried to re-add them to Homey just yet, currently all the 38 devices are running perfectly on the zigbee2mqtt network after I changed the reporting config on those 4 sockets. If I have time this evening I will try to add all sockets except for those 4 to the Homey network and see.

PS! zigbee2mqtt rocks by the way! Easy to set up if you have a zigbee USB stick, and it provides you with so many options and also much more info!

Yes, exactly what I found out yesterday evening. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I was just about to ask: why move your devices back to Homey if you’re running z2m? It’s so much better :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just to test and verify that I actually found the issue. Curiosity :slight_smile:
z2m is also way quicker by the way, and by using the z2m app in Homey I also have all the sockets in the Homey app together with the rest of my smart house :+1:

1 Like

That’s my opinion, too. I had the same problem in my zwave mesh. You have to monitor your mesh traffic, there must be one device making the most traffic. That’s always a defect one m you can turn off all power in your house and turn on again. Mostly everything works fine again, just took the moment the defect service turns crazy again. In my house there was a old fibaro switch and one fibaro walli switch causing 96% of traffic. The defect messing traffic blocked all other devices from communication. That why turning on devices take long time or even didn’t work

Isn’t ZigBee designed to share the radio channel with WiFi? Even if one radio device uses a huge network load other devices shall still be able to communicate, as they all uses the Aloha protocol: only send data when the radio channel is free, back off if collision is detected and wait a random time for resending again.

Last update:
I fixed reporting on the sockets that misbehaved from zigbee2mqtt, and Futurehome was also kind enough to send me a proprietary Tuya hub to look for firmware updates (two sockets needed update). I then started adding sockets to Homey again, but the same issue occurs. I’m able to add about 15 sockets before the Homeys CPU load is skyrocketing and the whole system is non-responsive.
There must be something wrong with the Futurehome app or that these sockets acts in a way that Homeys Zigbee implementation cannot handle (or both).

Adding all 38 sockets to a simple Raspberry Pi4 with zigbee2mqtt runs flawlessly. Combined with the z2m app in Homey I have full control from Homey :tada:

In my mind it should be quite simple for Homey (or the apps) to flag devices not acting as expected. E.g. one of my sockets that flooded the network with power usage updates was very easy for me to spot!

1 Like

This was a very interesting read. I’m having the exact same problems as you and have about 35 router devices and only 3-4 end devices in my network. My router devices are sockets, dimmers, thermostats and switches from ELKO, and I’m using the ELKO Smart app for Homey Pro. Everything seems to work flawlessly up to 10-15 devices, but after that when adding more devices the network starts crashing at a frequency proportional to the number of added devices it seems like.

After talking with Homey Support and providing a diagnostics report, they sent me a replacement Homey Pro hub because of faulty hardware. Unfortunately, after receiving the replacement, the exact same problem started happening.

I am thinking about grabbing a Raspberry Pi with a Zigbee dongle and going for a similar approach as you to see if it can fix my problem as well. Very pleased to see that there is a Zigbee2MQTT app for Homey if I want to keep using Homey Pro over Home Assistant.

Just wanted to leave a status update here for future readers.

I grabbed myself a Raspberry Pi and installed HA with a ConBee II Zigbee stick running Zigbee2MQTT. “Unfortunately”, the Zigbee network is working perfectly with no problems whatsoever. 35+ ELKO Smart routers and have not had a single problem yet. Everything is performing both super fast and stable.

After having problems with 2 different Homey Pro 2023 hubs, and then switching to a HA setup with zero problems, I am sad to say that the problem must be related to Homey hardware/Zigbee antenna.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I guess we’re not the only ones!

Unfortunately, yet another example of Homey having nice ideas but piss poor execution. After so many visions dropped and nothing really getting better while the next thing keeps being chased I’m ready to move away.

25 Zigbee devices, wifi channels all changed, network rebuilt numerous times, instability in other areas. The conclusion is that Homey just isn’t fit for stable home automation.

I had my light switches removed in renovation. 1 by 1 reset of devices or resetting networks is not trivial. And these are the things people are looking for: simple and stable. Homey offers neither.

2 Likes