The new Homey Pro — Ask Me Anything

From the blog:

“As it stands, we hope to ship the first 100 units to developers mid-January. Then, about until order #61891, we hope to ship in the first half of February.”

3 Likes

Ooh. My orders are both at early 51k.

1 Like

It’s not they’re wanting to leave it like that:

Source

No, but from the sound of it it would seem that it is a really long shot that they will get this working. It would be very welcome if they could, though.

I assume it isn’t in place when the first batches gets shipped, so it is a bit of a choice: Just wait, or let your ‘classic’ Homey do the zigbee for the time being, or crawl through your house with a screwdriver during a ‘re-pair’ weekend ;-).
And yes, maybe it turns out to be not doable, or way too much work (=cost).

But, don’t underestimate the community developers, maybe someone comes up with a tool or script at some point.

Apps don’t have access to that part of the core (and from how I understand the Zigbee protocol, it’s impossible to push a new network key without having to re-pair a device; even more scrutinised and popular Zigbee implementations like Zigbee2MQTT don’t offer such an upgrade path).

Let’s keep the language english in the thread.

Homey Bridge is just an (set of) antenna, so your question is wrong.
Homey (Cloud) has no virtual devices (not build in, and no apps).
Homey Pro (any version) has some limited build in (experimental), and 2 apps that give more options.

I’ve reset every device, one by one, and gone through all of the different automations I want. My old Homey was then sold, and all the devices are ready to be included again.
I believe setting up everything from scratch (although tedious) is the best way to secure a good setup.

1 Like

Anyone know if the Homey2023 handles Zigbee rerouting/re-meshing better than previous, where re-routing never occured (as far as I understand).
If a router device is removed/lost, will all devices routing throu that one try a different route, like Z-Wave devices do?

Actually it does, just eg. developer interface shows ? instead of new route (for me) but the sensor still works.
Always prefer in such case re-pairing without removal however. Homey 2023 use new Zigbee chip, so I would be happy to read about experience as well, as I do have currently 78 ZigBee devices.

1 Like

Rerouting is something devices do, not the controller. Some devices, notably Aqara, don’t reroute. That’s not something the new Homey Pro can fix.

2 Likes

I want to add Aqara contact sensors never changed their route at my Pro 2019

But, Aqara temperature and PIR sensors did reroute.
Hence the ‘randomly stop to respond’ issue, when they start using a ‘not compatible’ zigbee router.

I think temperature and PIR sensors do reroute for me as well, but only after quite some time (hours).

I have an order number in the 50.000s

I hope I will receive it in this first batch then, I saw this statement on linkedin:

No clue how long it takes to get more Raspberry modules

Can you translate it for us?

It translates to:
“We are upscaling the production and the first thousands (!) pre-orders will be shipped around end of the month. Following that, we will deliver as soon as Raspberry Pi can deliver us CM4 modules.”

3 Likes

Im sooooo excited! My first Homey Pro.

tuya zigbee smart socket was a bit challenging but the same on current homey pro I guess, forgot I had to install the test version of the app and don’t remove a few zigbee devices at the same time, it will confuse the joining. only 1 at the time , remove and add 1 to the new homey.

also had to do this from the web app, mobile apps did not work for me

I asked about the new Zigbee-chip for the Homey (early 2023) last December since I “hit the roof” on Zigbee-devices around 20-ish. I got the reply:

"The current Zigbee chip on your Homey Pro can handle only a limited amount and we advise to use not more than 30-40 devices, depending on the setup of your network.
The upgraded Zigbee chip can handle much more devices. We haven’t set a number yet on the amount of Zigbee devices you can add to your Homey Pro (Early 2023) because it also depends on the way you’ve build your Zigbee network, but we estimate this will be around 200 Zigbee devices."

So I guess it should be better in handling the routing better than previous.

Routing is mostly handled by the devices themselves, not the controller. If the spread of your devices isn’t good, or you have devices that don’t play well with each other, the new Homey will not be able to solve that.