The new Homey Pro — Ask Me Anything

Are here developers they already try to setup an old backup ?

So yes is everything fine or ?

1 Like

@Emile

I can imagine it’s something challenging. But at the same time it would be something unique to Homey.

I guess most houses these days have a WiFi signal covering the whole house to provide internet to all devices.

It will be costly to mesh the whole house for another 2 protocols. In my home I need more than one repeater to bring 1 signal to the 1st floor.

With a Homey Bridge it would be cheap because it contains multiple protocols for 1.5 X the price of a good repeater device for just one protocol.
But I doubt it would be strong enough as a repeater to extend the signals from Homey Pro to a Homey Bridge on another floor or even the garage in the backyard.

Most WiFi accespoints have large/better antennas and reach further is my experience. So I guess it would be better, easier and cheaper to bridge the gap with existing WiFi or ethernet infrastructure from Homey Pro to a Homey Bridge to extend all the protocols.

I’ve ordered both. The new Pro and the bridge. I hope the range exceeds my expectations and it’ll be enough to bring a reliable signal to the 1st floor or to the garage in the backyard.

1 Like

Yes, please prioritise migrating to the new Homey Pro. :wink:

How do I find that channel on Slack? Searched for it but unable to find it. Probably doing something wrong, not so used to Slack.

If you are a developer and received your Homey Pro follow the instruction and ask Emile from in the #developers channel.

1 Like

Hi everybody. I understood from the latest release about homey pro 2023, that mine will arrives next week. Youhouuu. But then, how to download the new app ? Do we have a user guide somewhere to support the migration from 2019 to 2023 homey pro ? Cheers

I think it’s best to just sit back and relax/wait :slight_smile:
There’s probably some instruction included on which steps to take to get ‘the party started’ :tada:

3 Likes

Your homey comes with instructions

1 Like

So yesterday i did my upgrade / backup restore to the new homey pro to see how that would go and today i have reverted back to my old homey.

First off all the new homey is way faster then my original homey. It boots quicker, and the app feels more responsive and as far as i can see its stable. So it has a lot of potential.

But no, its not ready and the waf is still low and thats mostly because of missing / not working apps.

Zwave, fibaro work for 95%. There is a bug in the new app, so If you don’t rename a device after inclusion and add another of the same type it overwrites the first one. And slave devices (second output on fibaro 2x relay switch module) don’t work.

Kaku works like a charme after re-installling the app.

Zigbee migration did not work for my hue and ikea panels so i guess that will become deletion and reinstalling.

My tuya app trows errors regarding device id’s i will look into that.

Tasmota / mqtt devices did not work while the broker seemed to get updates from the modules.

Solarpannels bèta app works for enphase but not for solaredge.

Apps for unifi and bofu (sunway) and the nest protect are not available for the new homey pro.

The later worries me the most. Apps that have bugs will be fixed. But the sourcecode for the 3 not available apps don’t seem to be on github and no development has been done on them for quite some time.

The new beta app is working nicely and bugs are beeing fixed quickly. Only thing i miss right now is the battery status icon thing from the energy tab.

So all and all about 80% of the old devices worked and restoring the backup worked like a charme.

We are not there yet but will get there

3 Likes

Here are your batteries

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience ! :+1:

I think it’s mentioned you need to pair it again - I assume without removal needed. That’s at least what I’m counting with and already did it actually when I was performing some Aqara firmware upgrades (I was able to pair it to new gateway and then after upgrade simply back - and I had only to restart given app, that’s it - flows etc. remains untouched, no need to fix them).

Is it the Zigbee version from Johan_bendz or cloud based ? If Zigbee, can you please let him know in Tuya app thread?

seems to be known unfortunately ;-( but haven’t seen developer around for some time - last time in 2021 ;-(

Last Post Jul 4, '21 Seen Dec 13, '22

Nest protect shall be available on SDK3, Unify has been updated recently but still not to SDK3 sand Bofu - hmm, official app not updated for 3 years, that’s really a bummer.

Are you serious, Athom? :man_shrugging:t3:
But actually, I’m not surprised. In the current app for the Homey Pro 2019 are also still bugs and missing features.

The Fibaro app is the same app on every Homey Pro, new and old.
These sound more like new Homey Pro (2023) issues, and as it is still early access with lots of bugs (as reported before) and do hope these are mentioned to Athom in the right support link(s) or they will never be fixed :wink:.

2 Likes

And this is why it’s a bad idea to start sending the new Homey Pro’s the regular users: they have no idea how to distinguish where issues are originating from, and the first port of call will be the app developers…

8 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Unlike some (annoying) other users, I have no problem if the homey for regular users would be sent only in a few weeks. I’m also not sure yet if I will migrate from the 2019 to the 2023, or if I will start everything from 0.
So everything fine for me.

4 Likes

If they get some discounts, I’m happy to order and test everything and share feedback, report issues etc :-)))

It’s important to remember that Homey Pro 2023 is still Early Access - it’s not quite finished.

For official apps that do not have SDK3 support, one could email them directly and ask for information regarding further updates. The more that asks for support regarding newer versions, the more likely it is that they’ll bother to update.

For community apps where source code is on GitHub - you could fork and do the necessary changes to support SDK3, it doesn’t have to be an overwhelming amount of work. The original developer might also accept a pull request with your changes.

3 Likes

Don’t underestimate us “regular” users. Im no developer, but I consider myself a pro user. I think most of homey users are more into tech than most

3 Likes

I think that the most “regular” users are not even here.
They are at home on the couch and add devices and when it is not working they directly send out a question with :why is the new device is not working. The old one has no problem.
What a sh.t device.
And that is going on Facebook.

So Atom can better wait and bring a device on the market that is working with most of the apps and devices.
But that is my opinion.

2 Likes