Stairs automatic lights ON Zigbee

Hello guys.

I have 2x Aqara motion sensor (First one down the stairs (sensor A) and second one up the stairs (sensor B)) and 1x IKEA tradfri bulb.

When I go up, sensor A detect me and turns light on. When I go down, sensor B detect me and lights on…but…there is a long delay between motion detect and turning on light…maybe 2 seconds and it’s really annoying.

I want to automatic lights on in the bathroom too, but discourages me this delay…Is possible to fix it or Zigbee is just very slow?

No. Homey may be slow, for various reasons, for instance having too many Zigbee devices or a high system load.

Thank you for response. So…what are my possibilities?

I think Athom has stated that if you have more than 40 Zigbee devices, you may experience slow response times. The system load can be found in the mobile app (More > Settings > General > About, at the bottom of the page). If the system load is more than 100%, Homey may experience slowness.

I have average load 37% last minute…And I Opened windows, activated all sensors and turned on all lights.

Out of curiosity how many Zigbee devices do you actually have ?

30x Zigbee devices

Can you show the flow(s) that you use to turn on the light?

I’m still a bit of newbie to Home Automation but I learn things quickly at a rapid pace…

Though I don’t own Zigbee gear myself but from what I’ve seen and heard it seems to be very problematic.

If your not able to sort out your issues I could make a possible suggestion.

If you have a “Wifi 6” capable router or if your thinking of upgrading your current router (if you don’t have one) then if you buy any future devices , buy Wifi based ones instead. (Still keep your current gear though)

From what I can see there really isn’t a need for Zigbee anymore if you have lots of devices. The new modern Wifi 6 based routers can handle a million devices with ease from what I’ve seen. Also Wifi devices are generally cheaper than Zigbee devices and the future of Zigbee isn’t looking very solid…

You’re missing the point of Zigbee: low power, easily and cheaply extendable through mesh routers, covering basically all OSI layers. With a fairly generic Zigbee implementation you can support a lot of devices, whereas with WiFi basically each brand requires their own implementation.

Also, Zigbee isn’t very problematic, at least not on well-implemented platforms. I have about 40 Zigbee devices in and around my home and the only issue that I have is that sometimes a sensor runs out of batteries.

2 Likes

Well I can’t send you flow, because I’m using homeyScript. When Motion sensor turns on, then start Script. But I am sure it’s not problem of scripting, because it was slow before using homeyScript.

How do you control your lights?

Not using Homey.

My Aqara sensors and IKEA lights are slow but not two seconds slow …

Perhaps the flow is complex? Can you describe the flow? Or is that all? :wink:

Now I have just these flows. When I go with my tablet on the stairs I can see how motion sensor became active and almost instantly ikea bulb turns on…but in reality it turns on after approx 2 sec.

Looks simple enough …

So your tablet is quicker then the lights themselves? Does this mean the delay occurs between Homey and the lights? Perhaps you could try different brands of lights … if you have them?

Perhaps someone knows if Hue is quicker than IKEA e.g.?

I had the same slowness you are experiencing. Then I tried out Home Assistant with a Conbee 2 stick and everything was lightning fast but didn’t like home assistant. So i went back to Homey only with a seperate raspberry pi with a Conbee 2 and the DeCONZ Homey app and everything is great!