So what about the weird brands?

Hi all,

Im thinking of moving to the homey ecosystem.
My home is filled with hue, tradfri, smart oven/washers/vacuum, temperature sensors etc. So far I was able to manage everything with google assistant and a philips bridge.

Last week my new kitchen arrived. It has some led strips which ofcourse couldnt be fitted with hue but their own ‘special’ brand. Want to use it online? 165 euros please. Got some new window blinds with somfy motor. Want to have it online? 200 euros please. The greed is insane, so time to move to 1 system.

So got a few questions:

1. what about these brands that are not in the homey list right now? The leds come from a brand called Naber, and the driver has bluetooth. Can it be operated?
  2. I also have some denon heos speakers (sonos competitor), they are also online but not in the list of homey. Can i still use them in a flow?
  3. somfy asks for 200 euros for their hub to automate the blinds. Can homey handle this instead?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

If you have a Homey Pro there is a Denon app
And the Somfy app supports as far as i know the Connectivity Kit (about 70 Euro)

https://homey.app/nl-nl/app/com.denon.heos/Denon-Heos/
https://community.homey.app/t/app-cloud-pro-somfy-tahoma-connexoon-v4-0-37-test-v4-0-40/35206

1 Like

The led’s: check out an RGBW dimmer for instance from Fibaro.

The blinds: also, see if a roller shutter controller is an option. I have automated all my blinds with roller shutter 2’s from Fibaro, works like a charm.

Don’t know about the Denon though.

1 Like

If the blinds use RTS radio technologie, they can be operated directly with Homey and the Somfy RTS app.

If the blinds use io radio technologie then you need an additional Somfy hub. Description from the Somfy TaHoma & Connexoon app in the Homey App Store:

The problem is that Somfy uses its own radio protocol which is not available to the public. If a customer wants to control Somfy products via a 3rd party gateway, a bridge from Somfy is required (= :moneybag:). The communication between the 3rd party gateway and the Somfy bridge is realized via a so called API interface. The Somfy Bridge then converts this data into its own radio protocol and communicates with the Somfy devices.

As far as I know this is true, but I am not 100% sure.
But please check on the official Somfy website if the Connectivity Kit is ok for your requirements. Because there are differences between the different Somfy hubs regarding maximum number of devices and if sensors are supported or not.

1 Like

Thanks all for your responses, might need a little deep dive.

@Joenoo I will have a look at the Fibaro options. Problem with the LED strip it seems to be operated by an H-bridge, by moving the currents around on the 12v cable it dims or goes from warm to cold white. Most alternatives require an additional WW cable coming from the led strip. If it would have the connection port I would have changed the driver immediately to something that includes zigbee. The current H-driver already includes bluetooth hence my question if Homey can convert the bluetooth signal into something usable with philips Hue without another bridge.

@DirkG thanks for clarifying the radio protocol. If you have multiple blinds I guess the 200 euros for TaHoma makes sense, but I only operate 1 blind. It’s insane what these guys ask these days, 300 euros to make it electric + additional 200 euros to operate it beyond a remote control. Sounds like a ripoff.

But what you are saying is, unless its RTS, also Homey needs a bridge from Somfy to succesfully communicate with the blind nonetheless. Furthermore, It seems the connectivity kit does not allow automations and pre-installed scenes, just another digital remote on your phone which hardly seems to give any benefit. So either it has RTS and I can automate Somfy through Homey, or it’s IO and I need the 200 euros bridge. Right?

A note beforehand: I do not have Somfy devices in use myself. What I write here I have learned mostly from this forum, but also from my own research. You can also ask specific questions in this thread.

As I wrote already, I’m not 100% sure if the Connectivity Kit is supported by the Somfy TaHoma & Connexoon app. But if you search the forum, you will find some threads confirming that the Connectivity Kit is supported (sorry, only in German language):

You create the automations with Homey. But the functions and actions that are possible with the Connectivity Kit are specified by the Homey app. So if functions/actions are missing, you can request them by asking the app developer. The same applies to the TaHoma Bridge.

You deleted it already, but here is a link where the differences between the Connectivity Kit and the TaHoma Bridge are listed (again in German language):

1 Like

As @DirkG says, you can use the Connectivity kit and connect it to Homey to do all the automation. You don’t need the automation and scenes that are available in Tahoma because Homey can do that bit.

2 Likes

My guess would be ‘no’.

1 Like

Adrian, another ‘downside’ when I’m correct: only the connection kit can’t be used without a decent internet / “cloud” connection, right?

1 Like

You’re free to buy other systems

As far as I know that’s correct. Not sure if it will be added in the future, but no mention of it.

2 Likes

Thanks all,

So in summary

1. For the LED system it seems I’m either attached to buying the new ecosystem or just use a hue powerblock and lose the possibility to change light color.
  2. as for Denon, that’s a yes but only for the pro edition
  3. as for Somfy, it seems that I can move forward with the connectivity kit and do the automation with Homey, which sounds like an excellent step Fantross, @Adrian_Rockall

@Peter_Kawa, Thanks for the headsup, somfy still comes with a remote so that won’t be a problem with a server down I guess. And yes I’m aware that I have (limited) choice, however most curtain shops just go with Somfy in my region so it’s either that or go and cut myself some curtains :laughing: . I’m just amazed how quickly you can get locked in an expensive ecosystem if you don’t pay attention and just buy whatever the shop promises. Don’t mind me, it was just a side rage :face_with_peeking_eye: . It’s most likely the reason Homey exists in the first place!

Thanks again everyone :raised_hands:

3 Likes