Send custom IR signal

I would love to be able to send Infrared signals with my Homey Pro early 2023. In the past Homey could learn IR codes. This is discontinued.

I know usually the general Athom app covers most bases. But with rarer hardware this is not the case. Also the app development for new IR devices is quite slow and you’re dependent upon others.

The idea …
The Athom site => Homey Developer Tools
allows you to enter an IR ProntoHex string and decode/analyze it. You can also send the Prontohex command to the selected Homey.

This way you can always control IR devices by sending custom IR codes, even if they are not known by Homey.
I have tested this and I can actually control a device that Athom does not support in the IR device list.

Is there any way that someone can make a general IR app using this developer possibility?

1 Like

Then you can buy a cheap remote control to testing flows and/or starting them.

No, Homey Pro (Early 2023) is blind, is only a transmitter.

@Dijker you as a experienced Homey developer. Do you know if the idea is possible to execute?
Or are there some kind of limitations in “talking to” the IR sending api/driver that limit the use as described?

It would (also) be quite nice and probably helpfull if the Athom crew would share the code from the developer website to create this app.

I don’t know,
so I guess you have to wait for the “experienced Homey developer”

But maybe you should ask Athom support :wink:

lol Geurt :wink: … I thought you’ve created some apps and might know the possibilities concerning IR.
Lets see if another developer, maybe with IR experience, picks up this thread :crossed_fingers:

If that doesn’t… will contact Athom anyway

There is an example app :wink:

As an alternative:

You could take a look at the switchbot mini hub. This hub(€35,-) is ment for switchbot devices but has a bonus: Ir. It has a possibility for smart learning(data base) and custom ir learning. With the help of the developer of the Swich bot hub i was able to ad my Dyson AM 10 humidifier.

Because the hub is very small i was able to let the Dyson receive the ir commands from Homey.

2 Likes

That switchbot mini hub look very promising but sadly not available in many shop local and/or the internet.

I bought it on Amazon.nl. Amazon has it on sale today. Also the switchbot site has it in there shop.

I was quite lucky buying it. Switchbot asked afterwards for a review, and gave some presents away. I got the meter plus for free. Very handy because i wanted that meter in my garage. Made a flow to warn me when it’s about to freeze. Just in case for the storage of my potatoes. But i hope it will take a while before the first warning.

1 Like

Thanks @Marcel_Ubels

Order one there.
Tomorrow I can pick it up.

1 Like

Thanks for all the other suggestions. But Homey has all the elements/hardware (and software) already inside to function as a remote.

So rather than buy yet another device to solve a problem, I would love to see a general app that can send IR codes (HEX / Pronto etc) from within a flow. This will create so much more possibilities!

1 Like

Thank for the example code. I can use this to create yet another IR device specific app. And I probably will (if my skills are good enough). But still a general IR pronto code app would be so much more flexible!

1 Like

building an app for each device not listed in the db is not what homey should inspire…
is there someone who can make an app which allows you to paste the prontohex code in a flow and pass it to the infrared driver ?
Should we request this at AtHom ?

2 Likes

Hi
I also just bought a Homey Pro and realized to my surprise that not a single Panasonic air source heat pump is listed as a supported device. A general IR support is an essential feature that I hope will be added in the future by the Homey team.

They already did that, Thorben, albeit the ‘techie’ way

Source:

Discussion:

I’d say, start here, Thorben:

For you to know, the latest update for Homey Pro 2023 added a feature to send Proto HEX codes. So if your device is not listed in the IR devices database you still can send IR codes. You can find much of the HEX codes here.