Ring Security - Extend Heimdall with Ring Security products

Well, that’s a though one, I have no solution for you unfortunately.
I would not advise you to enable experimental, to my knowledge there’s currently not being worked on Z-Wave stuff and current stable is up to par with experimental.
Should you read a post about a new experimental version that mentions improvement on Z-Wave you could consider it. On the other hand, nowadays the experimental versions are focussing on smaller changes so stable versions are created faster than ever.

Hi!

I’m not expecting any answers or solutions to this post, just thought I’d let you know since I in my last post wrote that I’d buy a new keypad.

I got a new keypad (still v2) but it behaves the same way. It works for a few arm and disarm event but then it freezes and after a while it “resets” so that all buttons are white and it doesn’t show neither armed or disarmed at the top of the keypad.

Since I’m eager the get this working with homey and heimdal I found a keypad v1 on eBay which I’m now waiting for to arrive. I’ll let you know how the results are when I get it.

1 Like

I heard from a colleague that he had problems with Ring v2 and Heimdall, but after deactivation the usage of speech with Homey voice in the flows his problem went away.

(do stuff with Homey and it speaks to you for counting down for example. Should not be z-wave, but…

Another possibility is that there is a problem on the z-wave frequency and that another device is interrupting/ blocking the transmission. Some older alarm motion detectors are using analog signals or another equipment set is using the same frequency, then transmission will fail regular, because air is half duplex for devices. and is someone speaks the rest keeps his mouth shut till air is free in that band again.

I don’t have homey speaking or to do any kind of voice announcements, those kind of tasks is handled over google TTS. I do however, at the moment, suspect something with the S2 but I can’t find any suspect nodes. I have a lot of battery powered magnet sensors that are working over zwave but none that I could see would cause the problem. As mentioned before, hopefully the v1 keypad works, I’ll keep you posted :slight_smile:

Hi Fredrik, I have also the same problems with the Ring Keypad V2 as you discribe. I hope @DaneedeKruyff that you have a suggestion what to do.

Hi
I got my keypad (v2) a couple of days ago and I’m unfortunately facing the same issues. This app seems brilliant and I cheer and applaude all the hours @DaneedeKruyff has spent on this integration. I cross my fingers for a solution - let me know if I can be of assistance👍

1 Like

Hi! It took some time but I finally got my keypad v1 delivered and I can gladly report that it works. I’ve had it for three days and i’ve been testing it pretty intense. Sometimes it looses connection but that only means that arming/disarming takes a few more seconds and its made clear by the LED on the keypad it self. It then shows by the network LED is red but it still “records” all keypresses and after a few seconds it arms/disarms without me having to enter the code again. This is the only “problem” that i’ve had and I can live with it.

If i should guess what causes it to sometimes loose connetion for a few seconds i would guess either its because the keypad is “waking up” (battery operated) or because of were its mounted. The zwave network is stable and has the range to were i mounted the keypad but the keypad is mounted above a powerline in the wall, about 70cm from were the main power is routed into the house and also 40cm from a 433mhz device, perhaps this causes some interferance. But as i already mentioned, it works great, sometimes arming/disarming just takes a few more seconds.

@DaneedeKruyff - thank you some much for a great app and for all the time you’ve spent troubleshooting and answerering these post. It’s thanks to people like you and the community that homey is such a great product!

4 Likes

Yes I have also the keypad V1 and it works great.

I hope we can find a solution for this :slight_smile: seems like everybody with a V2 ring keypad has the same problem

What I have noticed also is that the battery for the Keypad V2 is draining insanely fast. Took 3 weeks from 100% to 20% even not being used. I guess its has something to do with the zwave.

In regards to the communication some users are experiencing with their Keypads (where I think it mostly applies to the V2 version) I can’t really help out there. This is up to the stability of the Z-Wave network.

For the battery draining, Z-Wave does use some power, but the leds would be using more power when they’re lit frequently.
You can try to lower the Security Mode Brightness and Key Backlight Brightness settings and set Use Proximity Detection to No to get some more life after changing the keypad.

First of all I would like to thank @DaneedeKruyff for all the hard work and the super nice app, I’ve had the keypad gen 2 for a week and a half now and in combination with the heimdall app everything works like a charm. I set the alarm off/on with sonos and the google mini hub and this also works great. I also made some different advanced flows and this also all works properly. thanks again for the hard work Danee and keep it up.

1 Like

Hi all,

I also ordered myself a v2 panel and experience the same issue like @Fredrik_Backman, @Dennis93 and some others. :frowning:
I realize that this is beyond @DaneedeKruyff’s power, but it feels like such a great potential and work goes to waste if this issue can’t be fixed.

Though, I’m excited to read that @Peter_Van_Hees got it to work without issues and makes me wonder that the difference would be!
@Caseda, as a Z-Wave genius, I would really appreciate his thoughts on this matter. :pray:

Edit - Additional question:
How is the v1 panel connection established? Is this an unsecure line or S2, just like the v2 panel?
I remember having issues with secured connections in the past and I’m wondering if it might be related or not.
Already tried to add it unsecured through UnZ-Cure, but I cant seem to include it that way.

Hi, @MrBlue I don’t experience any problem I have the keypad V2 and have installed the heimdall app, then set it up as Danee described and it works. Now I have to say that the keypad is the only Z wave device I have, then my keypad hangs about 3 meters from my homey. away, home, and partially enabled works perfectly, unfortunately I can’t give you more info to help you.
I would also like to mention that the battery has been showing 100% at this moment for 3 weeks.

Got my second panel today, but same issues.
I’m currently testing the panel within 2m from Homey, so that shouldn’t be the issue.

Since I read a lot of issues about the S2 security communication, I wonder whether this could be the difference.
@Peter_Van_Hees Could you verify is the panel is being added with Secure S2? Homey Developer Tools
As described before, I tried adding the panel unsecured, but UnZ-Cure gives me an error and by using the normal process and using PIN 00000 instead, I get an error as well, so no luck.
@DaneedeKruyff Any chance you know if there’s a way of adding the panel unsecured?

Hi @MrBlue,

I’ve tested adding the keypad unsecure when writing the driver, it is technically possible to include it in the Z-Wave network but the keypad will reset itself after 30 seconds when it’s not included as S2.
So in the driver the keypad is forced to add secure.

1 Like

@MrBlue Hello, as DaneedeKruyff says it has been added as S2 as you see in the printscreen in the developer tools.

Thanks @DaneedeKruyff and @Peter_Van_Hees for the insight.

Actually I made some great progress on the stability of the v2 keypad.
The key is to disable the proximity sensor. I feel it causes an overload on messages on the Z-Wave network. It’s not perfect yet, but wayyyy better than it was before!

That’s good news!

@Fredrik_Backman, @Dennis93, @Nils_Hwasser, @Wim_van_den_Berg
Can you set Use Proximity Detection to No and see if that helps for you as well?

So after some testing I concluded that entering the wrong PIN code or entering a PIN + ENTER often makes the panel freeze for a few minutes or so. Curious whether more of you experience the same.

Secondly, any chance that the keypad can be used as a siren in the future? I see the option, but it states that the functionality is not working (yet).
And how about a walk-in timer?

So far really impressed with the integration!