Ring Security - Extend Heimdall with Ring Security products

unfortunately im not able to test this, i returned my v2 keypad and now im only using the v1 version (ordered it from ebay since its not for sale any more). I have proximity enabled on the v1 and it works without any problems. I have however experienced some other problems on my zwave mesh after adding the keypad, mainly with my doorlock thats mounted 1m from the keypad so its likely using the same nodes. I will try disable the proximity detection and see if that has any impact on the other nodes in my mesh.

@DaneedeKruyff Based on your experience while writing the app; do you believe itā€™s possible to send raw zwave commands to trigger special alarms like described here?

Tried several options, but the keypad doesnā€™t seem to respond to any of them

Yes, the keypad can be used as a siren, I wrote that functionality for the V1 keypad but disabled that part of the code when I copied it to start writing the V2 driver. I havenā€™t yet come around to testing it on the V2 keypad as my time is limited (and little to no demand for that functionality)

By walk-in timer I guess you mean the Alarm Delay in Heimdall, am I right? Thatā€™s implemented for both Arming and Disarming and for both Keypad versions. The functionality in the V2 keypad is however limit to 60 seconds, so when you select a Arming Delay or Alarm Delay that is longer the functionality is started an then restarted again (possibly several times) to match the ending of the delay in the device to the actual delay as set in Heimdall.

Itā€™s possible to send raw Z-Wave commands to the keypad.The indicator class mentioned in the article you linked is also not implemented in Homey so that communication with the V2 device is done by crafting the commands into a message tot send to the device, similar as to how itā€™s done in Home Assistant.

I respect that. If thereā€™s a workaround to get this working with a flow (sending raw commands or anything), it would be great as well.

Correct. I currently set it to 30 seconds and noticed it showing the arming delay.
However, while opening the front door (triggered with delay), the panel didnā€™t provide any sound notification or the delay led bar (not sure about the formal definition).

Good to hear itā€™s still possible. However, would I be able to implement this myself (through RAW commands, Homeyscript, or another app), or is this only possible through the app developer (you).

Again, I really appreciate your support in this. :pray:

Thanks for your appreciation!

I looked at the code for the Alarm Delay and realised I only added the Arming Delay to the app in the 0.2.3 version. So, I added the Alarm Delay and submitted 0.2.4 for approval.
And while I was at it, I also finished the Siren function :slight_smile:

(Btw, the Home Assistant article helped me figuring out how to control the duration for the Arming- & Alarm Delay so now it uses the exact delays as configured in Heimdall!)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome!
Iā€™ll be out for holidays for the next weeks, but will try to test it tonight and see if it works :grin:

It isnā€™t approved yet but I see it is installed on several homeyā€™s, I hope you find some time to test and report back.

Tip: Before testing the siren function, set the volume to 1 :wink:

2 Likes

Holy sh*t this is so cool!
Both the Alarm delay and the sirens work beautifully! Exactly what I was looking for! :star_struck:
And youā€™re right. Siren level 10 is pretty intense :wink:

How easy/feasible would it be to trigger the different sirens from a flow?
For Heimdall I set the siren to Burglar Alarm, but for a fire alarm I would like to be able to trigger the Smoke Alarm siren. For the medical emergency button, the Medical ā€˜Alarmā€™ would be triggered.

Glad you like it!

Thatā€™s pretty easy, it will just require some time. Itā€™s already on my todo list :wink:

2 Likes

@DaneedeKruyff It looks like the app is offline. Is that on purpose, or is there something wrong?

Thatā€™s because Iā€™ve submitted a new (test) version for approval, unfortunately the app is unavailable in the App Store until someone at Athom approves it.

1 Like

New version published

Version: 0.2.4 Beta

• Minor changes, minor fixes and added translations
  • Added Alarm Delay for Ring Keypad from the 2nd Generation
  • Added Siren function for Ring Keypad from the 2nd Generation

In the previous version the Arming Delay was added and in this version completes it with the Alarm Delay for the Ring Keypad V2. And it is now also possible to use the Ring Keypad V2 as a siren for Heimdall. There is no need to configure flows, just make sure the Integrate with Heimdall is set to Yes and you have selected the siren type.
Tip: first test it with Siren Volume set to 1

TEST ALERT

In this version Iā€™ve also added the Ring Contact Sensor from the 2nd Generation, but be aware: As I donā€™t have the device I have no idea if it works. Unfortunately I have also no documentation for this sensor so the code I wrote is all based onā€¦ guessing :slight_smile:
Iā€™m curious to know if it works, please let me know!
(@KjetilK)

2 Likes

Great stuff. Just did two quick tests. Works like a charm, siren is active. Not so very loud (set to 10) but thatā€™s hardware i guess. Delay is also very nice. Count down works. Red stripe visible. Thanks very much for the update much appreciated :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi @DaneedeKruyff , I have installed and tested the latest version 0.2.4 beta version, the siren works fine, I set the volume to 10 and it works fine especially at night. shutdown works fine via 12345 disarmed/home without flow. my hub mini that produces the sound above stops via a flow. All LEDs work fine during arming and disarming. thanks again for the update. thank you very much, much appreciated here.

1 Like

Indeed @MrBlue
I also had the freezing upon entering a PIN+ENTER.
I guess its because you donā€™t need to use PIN + ENTER but rather PIN+status you want of the arming or disarming.
Currently not sure what ā€œenterā€ really is being used for, but technically you don"t need it if it works with heimdall or homey.

The only (official) use I found for the Enter key is to ignore the active sensors while arming the system.

The unofficial use is that I would like to trigger flows/actions this way (ex: open garage door with 0+Enter when system disarmed).

Another thing is that I would like to avoid the system hang itself when someone else outside the family would like to disarm and accidentally pushes Enter instead of Disarm.
Though not quite sure how we could do a root cause analysis on thisā€¦

@DjWhacked, @MrBlue, does this only happen when entering PIN+ENTER?
Iā€™d like to know if this also happens when you enter PIN+CANCEL or just a PIN and let it be (The keypad will eventually send the PIN when nothing else is entered.)

If I do PIN several times with cancel behind it, it doenst stall. I think itā€™s indeed not sending.
I did get the wireless wifi logo on there, as Iā€™ve done a quick 7 times loop of pins with cancel.
But keypad didnā€™t freeze indeed, more like only if you do enter after PIN.
At the end it doenst matter as we ENTER button doenst do a lot for me at least in my setup.

Havenā€™t been able to try it myself yet as Iā€™m still on holiday.
But interesting to read that the cancel button doesnā€™t freeze the keypad. Does that still send the keypress command to Homey?
If it does, the only difference I consider is the ā€˜invalid PINā€™-command being sent back by Homey that triggers the ā€˜invalid PINā€™-animation(?) on the panel. Could it be that those commands follow up so quickly that the keypad crashes/freezes?
Again, just thinking out loud :slight_smile:

I missed the earlier response by @DjWhacked, so sorry for not responding earlier.

The keypad does send the information to Homey after pressing the Cancel key and the Ring Security app relays that to Heimdall. Heimdall writes that to the log and sends a message back to the Ring Security app that no action was taken. Next the Ring Security app sends a command to the keypad to inform the user no action was taken. There is no difference in the command that is send when using the Cancel or Enter key.

Iā€™m really lost here why these freezes happen to some of youā€¦.