Problem with nexa and other 433 plugs. Random on/off behaviour

I have an issue with my nexa units paired with a homey pro 2016.

They randomly turn on and of. And to other generic 433 plugs turns on in pair with a z-wave unit it has no relation to.

I don’t know how. I has started this behaviour with the introduction of the 8.x.x firmwares and higher.

When checking the flows for the units, they are correct and nothing is wrong with the flows.

Please advice.

With this card you can check who or what switched a device on/off.

It’s part of the cool Device Capabilities app

Sweet, I will try it out! Thanks for the tip.

It has been driving me crazy since it turns on and of even if i disable all flows assigned with the device

1 Like

I can think of a couple of possibilities. If the devices are assigned to a group (using the Group app) or part of a zone, they can be manipulated through that even if it’s not explicitly addressed in a flow. Seeing that it follows another device might indicate something along those lines.
And since most 433 have a limited address range, maybe it’s your neighbor messing with your devices.

1 Like

Yes. I have looked over that as well.
the thing is they switch of for like 1 second and then turns on again.

I have also tried resetting them and paird again to no luck.

Ok, tested it out.
it sure triggers when flow for starting kicks on. Also when manual trigger.

But they lit on without any trace 1h before flow triggered on.

So. No luck!

Hmm.
What does the device capabilities flow I showed you say?

OK. We’d better start at the starting point: when the devices randomly turn on/off once or more on a daily basis, try to turn off Homey for a day to see what happens.
We have to find out if it’s Homey, or if it’s something else controlling the devices at random.

I have Homey for several years controlling some KaKu / Nexa stuff without any issue (from what I’ve noticed that is).

So have I. Since 2016 without issues.

I have a theory though… What if when I reset the units to learning mode, they picked up a signal from a motion sensor on 433mhz.
I have two from telldus at home. But it seems unlikely as they shut of for one second and then turns on. Like if someone presses a remote on/off quickly.

I have taken the battery out of the remote to see if it helps.

Good idea with powering of the homey for a day, need to plan for that test.

1 Like

Would you mind giving a bit of explanation. I can’t really work out from the picture and the thread how to use that flow.

I have for example many issues with apparently random Fibraro relay devices switching without their being any flows associated with them or manually switching them. I have tried [unsuccessfully] to determine what switches them on using normal flows like this:

Based on your post it seems I need to install the [Device Capabilities App for Homey | Homey](https://Device Capabilities App), and then create some sort of advanced flow, but could you be more specific about the full flow?

Hi,

Yes, the flow I showed is the complete flow you know. So :wink:

The triggercard I showed provides for local tags, which I used in the notification card, which can be anything like Timeline, push message, email, Telegram and so forth.

The flow can also be created as standard flow.
The ‘tag’ icon on a flowcard shows it holds local tags. By hovering with your mouse, you can view the available tags, but they’re also visible and selectable from the Then card:
Screenshot from 2023-09-01 18-32-03

The flow:

The Device is the device you’d like to be monitored, in my example it’s “Lamp Stereo”

Detail

Triggercard at mobile app:

Capability you want can check (it only shows the available capabilities for the selected device):

Output examples:

Watch the TrueFalse values, true (light turned on), and false (light turned off)
Client: Light was operated with the mobile app:
Screenshot from 2023-09-01 18-37-37

Other apps / dashboards I used, to switch the light:
Screenshot from 2023-09-01 18-38-47
Screenshot from 2023-09-01 18-39-18
Screenshot from 2023-09-01 18-39-00

Thanks for the instructions!

Yes, the flow I showed is the complete flow you know. So :wink:

(I haven’t used advanced flows, and haven’t familiarised myself with them since HP2023 I’ve migrated to is so unreliable and may have to be returned, in which case any that I’d have created wouldn’t work again on HP2019 without paying even more money)

With your help, I just set my card-based flow as follows:

Testing it with a manually turning on the lights at the switch, produces this entry in the timeline when switched on:

, and this when off:

How should I interpret the result? I guess the first two are the device name and device ID. Is the zero comes from the "Number " tag? And the tick is showing if it switched on or off?

Would something for ‘Client’ or ‘User’ show any app that is involved in switching the device on?

1 Like

It seems like it returns the device ID a number and a tick indeed :upside_down_face:
I’d recommend to add the tag descriptions in front of the actual tags like I showed earlier, so you can discover what belongs to what
Screenshot from 2023-09-07 17-21-20

When the actual switch is operated, it does not know about a client or user.
Try switching it on using the web app for instance, it should return more info about that.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I can’t actually do any further testing on this until the ‘too much z-wave traffic’ issue is resolved, because nothing actually turns them (or any other z-wave device) on/off at the moment.

1 Like