Multiple home networks

Greetings all

Just got the new homey pro, Long term home assistant user with about 120 devices.

My question deals with networks. We have 1 wired and 2 wifi networks here. Devices are on all three.

For example; the homey is currently on wifi 1 (ethernet adapter coming tomorrow) and the philips hue is on wired network.

They are not seeing each other.

Is this going to be a long term issue? How does homey pro handle multiple networks?

Thanks, looking forward to evaluating this.

Tim

Hello Tim,

As long as both are in the same subnet, like, 192.168.2.x, it doesn’t matter if they’re connected thru WLAN or LAN. All devices with IP address 192.168.2.x should ‘see’ eachother.

When you use multiple subnets, you should create rules in your switch or router to allow Homey to reach specific devices.
Homey can only see the subnet it’s connected to, when you don’t.

all subnets can see each other. but i wondered did i need to tell homey they exist somehow?

10.3.0.0/16
192.168.10.0/24
192.168.20.0/24

Anything wired or on wifi 1 can get to all 3. wifi 2 cannot reach the other two, but will respond to them if queried.

I’ll have the wired ethernet adapter tomorrow. I think that may help.

You can’t, and if, like you say, “all subnets can see each other” it wouldn’t be necessary. However, often when people use different subnets, they aren’t configuring them properly causing protocols like multicast DNS (used a lot with home automation to allow for device discovery) to not work across subnet boundaries.

1 Like

Appears to not be a problem. The networks are configured properly. I now have about 100 devices installed in Homey, but still too many issues. Home assistant can get to everything. Some of the issues may be my lack of understanding how homey pro finds devices. Some appear to be lack of homey pro just not supporting all devices. Such as the TPLink Kasa HS300. We have 6 of them that do not show up but the KP303 (we have 3) which is a 3 outlet version of the same thing show up fine. It just appears the HS300 are just not supported.

What just crossed my mind, you don’t actually add the Hue bridge itself to Homey, but Hue bridge devices (as far as I know).
Does that work?

If your Hue bridge is on one segment and Homey is on another, and Homey cannot find the Hue bridge, your networks are not configured properly.

But this is assuming that Homey cannot find the bridge at all. If by “They are not seeing each other” you mean something else, please elaborate.

Most networked (LAN/WiFi) devices are found using mDNS, which is the most common discovery mechanism for home automation devices. mDNS requires specific router/switch settings to work across subnets.

They are seeing each other. I have the hue bridge configured now…

The HS300 is not supported on the official TPLINK KASA App. Documented. Others have mentioned it.

When i selected to add a light, it found the bridge. Odd way of doing it, instead of just adding the bridge.

But once that happened it added all the philips hue devices (about 45) at once. I had to go through and put them in the correct rooms, that part did not transfer over.

1 Like

Cool! I don’t own any Hue gear, but I consider this way of pairing as a bonus, whilst you don’t have to go through the (network) hassle you just experienced, to try to pair “a” hub with Homey.
Just add a Hue device et voilĂ .

The Home Assistant app by Athom f.i., had this behaviour as well, at first, and by kind user request they added select all/none/some option, which is way more convenient, and you can add devices zone by zone / room by room.

For the other behaviour it’s a matter of how one looks at things.
When one adds a Hue device, big chance they want to add all Hue devices to Homey.
But Athom should point you to the upcoming ‘mass-import’ up front imho, or just add a select option imho.

Just like Homey → Google Home, it somehow seems to be not possible to follow zone/room names…

I’d suggest to let Athom know about the app behaviour and how things can be improved!

I will let them know. I have found several harsh bugs in the lightstrip color controls also. I had go back to the hue app to get the colors back to correct.