Can't find Hue Bridge with Homey Pro 2023

When trying to add my Hue Bridge and Hue devices to Homey Pro 2023 thay cant be found.

Anyone have any tips on why this is?

Are they on a separate VLAN/network?

Have a Deco Mesh and both Homey Pro and Hue Bridge are connected to it on LAN.

Homey units are however also on 2.4 GHz WAN “Guest” network set up on same Mesh to keep IT separated from family traffic.

Homey needs to be able to see the mDNS broadcasts of the Hue bridge in order to find it. If they are on different network segments or separate VLAN’s (you don’t clarify what “Guest network” specifically means) you’re going to have issues.

The “Guest” network is separate wireless 2.4 GHz with separate SSID for various smart items using WIFI.

Have another standard WLAN for surf/gaming/tv that family are using (2,4/5GHz).

The Homey Pro are setup towards the “Guest” network but both Homey Pro and Hue Bridge are connected through wire to the mesh. As far as I can remember there are no wifi settings to Hue Bridge, it only has wired connection?

I can reach the Hue Bridge regardless if i connect to the “Guest” or “Family” WIFI, so seems to be no restrictions when it is on wired connection to Mesh system.

How can I check if the Hue can see the Homey mDNS broadcast?

It’s the other way around: Homey needs to be able to see the mDNS messages that the Hue bridge sends out, and since Homey can’t find it, it doesn’t look like it can.

It’s still not clear to me if the Hue bridge and Homey are both on the same network. It’s not relevant if it’s WiFi or wired, what matters is if they are in the same network segment or VLAN. Typically with a “guest” network, such networks are shielded off from the “home” network (devices in the guest network cannot communicate with devices in the home network, but usually it’s set up so the other way around, from the home network to the guest network, is allowed).

If Homey is on your home network and the Hue bridge is on the guest network (or vice versa) this can cause problems because often the way by which these networks are separated isn’t set up properly. It will work for common protocols, but not for things like multicast.

I don’t specifically know the Hue app, but I guess it doesn’t have the ability to manually add a Hue bridge by IP-address?

1 Like

Thanks for your patience, sounds like this is the problem. Will have to see how I can sort it out without having to reset the Homey Pro and log it into the family network.

Or, better, see if I can lock the Hue Bridge to the guest network as well.

Turns out there was an update for TP-Link Deco Mesh, enabling creation of a proper IoT network separated from main Network but with access to it.

Only had to kill guest network and create IoT network with same SSID/login instead.

Worked perfectly to add the Hue Bridge now and Hue items are icluded in the Homey Pro.

TY

1 Like