[Modding] Homey Pro (Model Early 201x) Antenna modification

Yep,
I use this a lot.
All lights off now takes 30+ seconds.
As a contrast, my previous hub did this in maybe 10 seconds.

I agree with you (@robertklep). I have the same problem if I want to switch multiple (Z-Wave) devices in one flow this problem will trigger. I am not sure if it is the implementation of Z-Wave or the implementation of Flows (I think it is the latter though).

I wish Athom would look into it but they are busy adding new stuff instead of fixing the basics.

I think it’s the former. The issue has started to be more pronounced with firmware v2, which (as far as I have always understood) has improved flow performance. However, the price to pay is that it’s easier to overwhelm the Z-Wave/Zigbee implementation with too many commands issued at the same time.

I tend to agree with @robertklep as well, that it seems to be more likely caused by “overwhelming Z-Wave/Zigbee”.

I’m experiencing these issues quite frequently (without any modifications)!

Because of that, I’ve been looking into the issues regarding multiple devices failing to “switch” together. There are a couple of more threads discussing this issues (both here at athom as well as at other sites). What makes it interesting and complicated at the same time is that there are also other hub manufactures that deal with the same problems (which seem to indicate it is an “network issue”).

What Athom could be improving in my opinion is (internally) limiting the amount of commands send at once and better verify the responses to avoid overwhelming the network implementation.

Having said that, I believe an antenna mod will only help making your network more stable if you do not have enough “coverage” (read devices have difficulties finding a neighbor and Homey is too far a way, especially from the “nearest” devices), otherwise the Mesh implementation is intended to make sure all devices are properly connected and can reach every node (even the once outside, upstairs, etc.).

1 Like

I follow this topic for a while now and decided to order the antenna’s and try it, mainly to improve the z-wave range. But I wouldn’t like to just drill some holes in my brand new Homey Pro. So I just cloned the homey so you can 3D print the whole housing yourself!

Check it out on thingiverse now! https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3807351
Still work in progress, but it would work already as-is (drill holes yourself for now)

In the picture you see a Homey, Homey Clone and Homey Pro next to each other.

IMG_8983
IMG_8988

12 Likes

Initially I had the antenna connected right back into Homey, then because aesthetics, I got an 1,2m cable and positioned the antenna away. Although the antenna is now hidden sitting in between a wall and a wooden cabinet so not the ideal place for it, I see no performance difference in between before (right in the back) and now (away with a 1,2m length cable)
Mind you, my antenna is of a good quality and not a cheap AliExpress stuff (yeah, I know they all come from the same place, Great China) as well as the cable I used was of a very low signal loss.

3 Likes

Ok, this is going to be embarrasing :flushed:
After being fed up with the wifi reception I decided to do this mod.
But obviously not careful in the execution as I managed to damage the cable between the power socket and the i/o board.
I am looking for a place to order a new one, but get lost in all the options.
Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Not nice indeed.

That’s an FPC flexible flat cable 20 cores but I am not sure of the pitch. It could be of 0,5mm.
Plenty on eBay or Amazon.
Here an example on Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/RDEXP-20-Pin-Length-Ribbon-Flexible/dp/B06XWRLBLT/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=RDEXP+0.5mm+Pitch+20-Pin+200mm+Length+FPC+Ribbon+Wire+Flexible+Flat+Cable+Set+of+25&qid=1566132278&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But again, I am not 100% sure of the pitch!

Appreciated!
I found the following and will order:

Will see whether it works. Only bad thing is the delivery time of 2-3 weeks :open_mouth:
That will teach me :roll_eyes:

Will this antenna work for Z-wave? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07CZMCJ8Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_kcEwDb9V8FXE8

I want to be able to place the antenna a little bit away from my Homey because I think adding the antenna onto the Homey don’t look to good.

That’s a nice high gain antenna, it should work just fine. And I guess you do live in Europe where z-wave freq is 868MHz. :grinning:

Same here, I have the antenna located away from Homey.

Yes, I live in Europe.

I actually just ordered another antenna. Read on a Swedish forum that people where really happy with the antenna replacement for their Vera3 and HC2s. They used a Aurel GP 868.

Definitely not the best looking antenna but I’m planning to not use the extension tub and wall bracket so maybe it will look kind of ok. :slight_smile:
I think I will get the parts this week so I’m hoping I will be able to do the mod this weekend. Will keep you posted.

1 Like

How about the part that goes inside Homey? Does this antenna come with it? Connector and cable that solders onto the MB.

It’s a BNC connector so I have bought a short cable with a SMA, that I will mount onto my Homey, and also a SMA to BNC adapter.

I am pleased to see how my idea is developed by all of you. :+1::+1::+1:

5 Likes

Hi guys,

I did the MOD too! Only for WiFi and zigbee. The rest is fine/or I do not use it… Now let’s wait too see how the results are!

Some tips:

-Make the holes for the antennas not too low as you want them to aim up nicely. And not to the wall.

-place the white ring back up side down so you do not see any glue residues when you use a transparant dome as I did.

U have used these parts:

€ 0,63 23%OFF | RF IPX/U. FL Schakelaar SMA FEMALE Pigtail Kabel Voor PCI Wifi Card Draadloze Router Antenne WiFi Pigtail Kabel IPX naar SMA Extension
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/BzUK7Zmg
(15 cm)

€ 2,74 8%OFF | 2.4 Ghz antenne Wifi 5dbi SMA MALE connector wit 2.4 ghz antena Omni-Directionele Router 2.4g Antenne + RP-SMA Mannelijke Pigtail Kabel
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2Vk6tGli

€ 0,62 10%OFF | Kerst Transparante Bal Dozen Snoep Romantische Ontwerp Kerstversiering Transparante Bal Kan Open Plastic Snuisterij Ornament
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bhm1IbjE
(12cm)

9 Likes

Is there really that much of a difference in quality between the antennas? How to know wich is a good one and wich not? I’m using the cheap China antennas now and the results so far are not that good… It takes really long before the network has been rebuild and there is a big delay in switching zigbee devices on/off…

I have checked the internal antennas and they fitted good. I changed the internal wire back to the original thin cable that came with the antenna so I will see how that goes… I’m at work now so cannot test.

Any ideas?

Delays are typically caused by performance issues (excessive CPU/memory usage), not so much range issues (which, in my experience, is rather binary: either a device is in range, and it works, or it’s out of range, and it doesn’t work).

Allright thanks… Before the MOD, after a restart zigbee devices where present very fast. Now, it takes almost 20 minuten. Till that time I’m seeing this:

Also, the devices with some distance from homey are not responding. So I think I did something wrong…

Since the latest firmware building of the Zigbee mesh takes longer than before, so this is expected behavior. Once the mesh is built, everything should be more responsive

1 Like