Milight Hub esp8266

Hi,
I had some problems with the range of my Milight hub. So I searched for a solution. I found this one https://github.com/sidoh/esp8266_milight_hub. It works really good. Range before was 7 meters, now I can reach my whole house and the hub is on the ground floor. The other benefit is that you can add as many lights as you want (or need, not limitless but a lot). Now you don’t have to hide all those hub anymore.

Sadly the homey Milight app can’t discover them. Seems to me that should be possible (gona ask on slack). It can communicate through MQTT. But how do I add a MQTT light to homey? Do I have to make virtual devices with a flow communicating to the VD…?

Anyone with some advice about this?

greetings

Interesting. I’ve tried projects like this in the past, but the NRF24L01 wasn’t reliable enough. I created a DMX to Milight converter. This way I could program the Milight’s trough dmx controllers and create some interesting light animations… Sadly the response time of the Milights was way too slow.

The way the Milights work is a bit questionable. It has some frequency hopping feature: it listens at random on 3 frequencies… the transmitter is firing 100 times the same message also random on those frequencies and hope one hits.

I thought I could use 3 native LT8900 transmittors (this is the native Milight chip, no emulation) and transmit on 3 frequencies simultaneously. But I never took the time to finish this project.

Did you use the NRF24L01 and how fast is the response time?

Does this solution work with the native Milight app? (if not, then Homey probably won’t work either :wink: )

Have you considered completely skip the Milight App and use the code with HomeyDuino to create native homey-lights? (Although I don’t know how to create more than one light per device)

Hi @Satoer
Yes I use the NRF24L01. It does not work with the Milight app, so…thats clear :slight_smile: :+1:
Response time is near instant with the webapp.
I have not considered using HomeyDuino, would not know where to start. I am going to have a look at it but I think MQTT would be the easiest way, Works that way with Home Assistant and Domoticz. Except I think we would need an app for that, I don’t think there is anything that works for this situation. Hence my question :grinning:

greetings

It’s possible with the MQTT client app… But it would be a nightmare connecting all the virtual light parameters to MQTT messages and vice versa. each command probably needs a separate flow. Maybe something is possible with Homeyscript to get some more possibilities. Anyhow, that’s not a road I would take. Maybe it’s easier to develop a homey-app to interface with it.

I have never made an app. Don’t have much time for it but I will have a look and see if I can do it. I think it is a valuable addition to homey.
I am going to have a search for some starting options.

thanks