Matter: what are windows coverings

According to the specs Homey Pro (Early 2023) supports Windows Coverings via Matter.

I have an Aqara Hub M2 connected as a Matter Device to Homey. The Aqara Curtain Driver E1 is connected to the Aqara Hub. According to the specs of Homey Matter (beta) Window Coverings are supported, but the Curtain Driver E1 does not appear as a Matter Device in Homey.

Am I mistaken? Interested to receive your comments.

Kind regards,
Paul

This is not an answer to your question, but, you can add the Curtain driver E1 directly to Homey using the Aqara zigbee app

Thank you for your response, Peter. At present I am using the Aqara app to connect the curtain drivers to Homey. That’s working fine.

I am also experimenting with Matter. For example I have connected my Hue lights to Homey. That gives a much improved responsiveness.

Connecting my curtains via Matter would be the next phase.

Kind regards,
Paul

1 Like

YW!
I see, thanks. For now only Athom can answer if the Aqara curtain driver is a ‘Windows Covering’ or isn’t, regarding to the Matter protocol.
https://homey.app/support

Without Matter the Windows coverings capability can be one of these types:

But I’m afraid Matter is a complete other ‘thing’ here.

Per your suggestion I contacted Athom support. They responded promptly and asked me to reboot Homey Pro. After that the curtain drivers became visible in Homey.

This is a different behavior as when e.g. including Hue lights: those are visible as Matter devices immediately after the were included in the Hue bridge.

Thank you for your interest.
Kind regards,
Paul

Glad it’s solved, but it’s odd a reboot is needed.
Perhaps it’s due to the beta status of Homey Matter (a kind of :cockroach:).

This is the feedback Athom gave me. According to this it’s related to the Hub, not to Homey Matter.

Citation of Athom:

[…]
Since some Matter devices (or hubs) don’t always inform connected parties about new devices. Each time Homey pro restarts he actively asks all connected hubs about all connected devices. So any missed devices can be discovered this way. There is a high chance that the hub does actively tell Homey whenever a new ight bulb is connected, but apparently doesn’t do this when a new curtain driver is connected.
[…]

Kind regards,
Paul