Lutron/ Caseta Support & Question about Ring

Hello!

New to Homey and exploring. Excited about the Homey Pro that’s been released, but a big deal breaker for me is if there’s not Lutron Caseta support as its what we use for all of our light switches. We love it and it works flawlessly, and would like to integrate it to other things/ create workflows.

Also wondering if we have a Homey if we can use Ring Alarm without the base and just do everything through Homey or if we need base + homey?

Thanks so much!

I can’t find any apps for Lutron/Caseta in the Homey app store.

Robert mentioned the app store already.
Enter a brand in the search bar and you’ll find info about your question.

If there’s not enough info to be found, you can often find support links at the app pages.
In many cases there’s a link to a dedicated forum topic for the app.

Hey Cait,

Sadly Lutron doesn’t offer native support yet. They did announce they would support Matter, and with any hope that would lead to some nice integration later on when Homey Pro has Matter support. Though Matter is still kind of hit or miss at this time.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/12/23348659/lutron-caseta-new-diva-smart-dimmer-switch-price-release-date

When I contacted Lutron support about possible app integration for Homey (among other stuff) they reported they didn’t have plans at this time but they would pass it along to the dev team. Though, they encourage others to try connecting to the bridge over the Telnet protocol.

Until then, the key workaround is finding a way to have Homey Pro send commands to a liaison system that can passalong commands to the Lutron bridge. So far the only system I’ve found that could do such a thing is Home Assistant (a different kind of home automation system) but I haven’t tested this yet. Running Home Assistant required another computer device. You could technically install and run Home Assistant on the Homey Pro using the SSH function but I REALLY don’t recommend that. Home Assistant has a habit of taxing the storage, usually to the point of storage degradation. Since the memory is baked onto the logic board of the Homey Pro… you are just risking the longevity of the hardware.

I will be giving it a go on my end in next few weeks and will report back with steps if I can.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

-Nathan Glitch

Hey Cait,

Just in case you didn’t see the update, Lutron now officially offers Homey Pro support. For the moment it only has lights, fans, and switches support but other things like blinds are coming.

-Nathan

As far as I can tell with my testing, Lutron support for Diva style Caseta dimmers may not be available yet? Only the original Caseta Smart Dimmer it seems? I can add the old style Pico remote but when I try to add my new style Diva I get “no new devices”. Also the device pictures don’t show the new style. Anybody else confirm that?

Update: I emailed the developer about the apparent missing support for the new US Diva dimmers and within a day, were able to add the support for Diva dimmer and Claro switch. Now included in the production release. Thanks so much Bob!

Out of curiosity, does this use Telnet or LEAP?

I can’t say for sure what the underlying protocols being used are. There is an option in the Lutron app to turn on Telnet support. But in my system it is off so likely Homey is not dependent on it. Cheers.

Do we even need a Lutron Caséta hub sense homey has a 433Hz antenna, can’t the switches just use that to connect. Or do I need the Lutron’s hub for the switched to work?