Lookin for a zigbee motion sensor

Hello everyone,
I’m actually using some aqara motion sensors and almost everything is fine.
The only thing I really don’t like is the loooooong time the device remains active once is triggered.
I would like to know if you know any zigbee motion sensor that has a much lower active time, or (even better) if it is possible to set this value.

Thank you for all

That is possible with the aqara ones, and you can even hack them for an even shorter reset time.

1 Like

Thank you @Glenn_Seegers

It’s true what you say, but it gives you the possibility to reduce it to 60 secs. To go lower you need to phiscaly hack it. I would like to do it in a sw way, to reach < 60 secs.
Any othe ideas?

I have also a Sonoff sensor, but this has no way to changhe at all :frowning:

That’s mainly to extend battery life.
But, if one minute is long:
Check out the Aqara P1 motion sensor, the blind time starts with 1s.
Or setup a zigbee2MQTT instance, while the standard Aqara motion sensor can also have it’s blind time set to 5s. minimum (tested), and probably 1s. as well. Without any 'hacking’.

1 Like

Depends on which “standard Aqara motion sensor” you mean: I think the RTCGQ11LM always requires a hardware hack, but the RTCGQ12LM doesn’t.

How can I see wich is the model I have?
For me is just a
zb_product_id "lumi.sensor_motion.aq2"

First post of the Aqara thread:

Ah, Aqara shows only “the” motion sensor, not specific “RTCG…” models:

But when digging into the device specs, I happen to have the RTCGQ11LM, and I did not change a thing on the device itself, to set the blind time to 5s @ z2m.
On Homey zigbee it also could be set to 5s, just by ticking the “hacked sensor” box :hugs: So that was just a 50/50 chance of luck then :partying_face:

Can we say the RTCGQ12LM needs the hardware hack?

1 Like

You should tell the rest of the world, because everyone else (including myself) had to hack their RTCGQ11LM’s to make it work :wink: (also on z2m)

I am a lucky bastard for once :joy:

I have the HZC motion sensor (s902m), which is 5s out of the box.
Cannot be changed though. (I think)

Good thing they have standard AAA batteries.

1 Like

I have the AduroSmart Zigbee Wireless Motion Sensor. It comes with the timer set to 30 seconds.
It can be set to 1 second. But I have not tested that yet.

Wow, I never realized there was a version around that could be “hacked” through software only, but I just tried and it worked with most of the 15 Aqara motion sensors I have been using for some years (lumi.sensor_motion.aq2)! indeed they turn motion alerts on/off at a 5s interval now!

It’s not that I necessarily need the time window to be less than 60s, but I hope this solves my occasional annoying zigbee stability/interference issues (lights not responding during wifi-busy hours) by allowing the sensor a chance to send out changes more frequently than just once every minute. Now I just hope the impact on battery life is still acceptable in the most active places. Anyone any experience with this? :slight_smile:

BTW: It seems that “Disable motion alarm” is not respected for the device/zone state? Zone activity now also resets (Active/INactive) every 5s, even when motion sensor “Disable motion alarm” is set to 120s? I expected the zone to stay active for 120s, but that may be a wrong assumption though?

Use the card “zone inactive for…”

I am using that card and it still works, but I think that using the default setting it did keep the zone active for the full selected value (in my case 120s) on the dashboard rather than turning on/off in between. But it may just be an artifact of the much shorter blind time (5s vs 60s default).

1 Like

All of my sensors have the (hardware) hack, I think most have lasted for more than 2 years on a single battery.

2 Likes

Tune the channels! 2.4GHz wifi channel should be a fixed number, no auto-select.

I am fully aware of that and have set my own APs to a fixed channel, but there are just too many APs hopping around in the neighborhood. I even tried changing Homey the Zigbee channel a couple of times (reset zigbee and repair all devices), but every combination eventually suffers from some interference occasionally. :frowning:

I’m even considering changing the motion sensors in some locations to see if that helps (maybe a slightly stronger signal sending out data). Unfortunately I read a lot of comments that the newer Aqara P1 sensors supposedly have worse detection range compared with the old ones I have now, which would be an issue if <4-5m.

Wifi pollution…
I’m thinking of a neighborhood meeting, and let every home use a unique fixed channel number :nerd_face: But probably it’s a (very) unrealistic plan :crazy_face:

Detection range is about how far the sensor can ‘see’ into the room. It’s unrelated to the zigbee signal range.

Yup, not going to happen I’m afraid.

I know detection is not related to zigbee, I just meant I would just give the P1 a try (hoping for better zigbee range) if it wasn’t for the supposedly worse detection range. That would be a bad trade off. :slight_smile:

Does anyone have experience with the P1 detection range compared with the older ones?