LG acquires Athom

Why always either or ?
I have been using Homey and HA in parallel for years. HA can do things and integration that are alien to Homey. Thanks to various apps, we have the option of merging the two systems. This allows us to utilise the strengths of both systems.

6 Likes

Very good point. I started my home automation with the Swedish Telldus system and I still have it running alongside Homey. Not for any automations but for their version av Insights which I think is way better for monitoring 433 MHz sensors. That’s the only thing I use the Telldus hub for now that I have Homey.

I would not recommend Telldus to anyone (except if you want to try out home automation for a very small startup investment)…and that’s coming from a Swede. :grin:

1 Like

I’ll admit… I’m a little nervous about this… I was a ST user for years and then Samsung bought it, totally ruined it and now it collects dust in my basement. I am HOPING that will not be the case here.

FYI. some changes occurred :

New :

Before :

2 Likes

You’ve got a keen eye! :wink:

An email will be sent out today at 15:00 (CEST) to notify everyone. Here’s a quick summary of the changes:

Apps
We’ve made it more clear that Homey apps can now also work on products other than those developed by Athom. In the future, developers can reach more customers with their apps available on third party products that embed Homey’s software.

Address
We’ve recently moved our office, so the address has been updated.

1 Like

Will the communication later today include information on the expected impact for (commmunity/verified) developers for app support? This sounds like I can potentially receive a lot more support question possibly related to operating systems and hardware which I do not have access to.

2 Likes

The email will not provide any specific information on this matter. Additionally, it’s important to note that you won’t suddenly see Homey appearing on every smart home hub available on the market. We are currently referring to, for example, the LG ThinQ ON hub and potentially more third-party hardware in the future.

I have already been in touch with several colleagues, including some at LG, and we are considering providing developer hardware to verified developers when the time comes. However, these arrangements are still in progress and I can’t promise anything specific. Rest assured, we are committed to supporting developers in every way we can. :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Does that mean that only verified apps (or apps from verified developers) will be made available to those other products?

That’s how it will work for the LG ThinQ ON hub, yes.

6 Likes