LG acquires Athom

Because i felt like it

I choose to believe what Athomā€™s founders are stating in this matter. Iā€™m usually a very pro active personā€¦but in this case I will be reactive. Iā€™ll keep using my fantastic Homey Pro 2019 until something negative happens.

Hopefully the acquisition of Athom by LG will lead to new even better hardware with the same user friendly interface. To me it doesnā€™t matter if the hardware has Athom or LG stamped on the bottom as long as the thing works great and my privacy is secure.

Iā€™m happy for Athoms founders that they now have gotten well payed for their contribution to the home automation universe. You made it! :smiley: (Haters will hate.)

9 Likes

The first update for the Homey app since LG aquired (test version) in Korean was, well, less than impressive. (Iā€™m being sarcastic.) :smile:

1 Like

You expected an impressive update 2 weeks after the news?
If so, why?

1 Like

A enthousiastic user of Homey here. I wil see how things go, the coming 2 a 3 years. REALLY hope developers wil not draw back their apps. That would bring me and a lot of others in acute problems. I will look how HA is doing in the near future. Other than some in this item tell us, HA is much more difficult to use, when you are new to home automation, programming or electronics. Homey works almost out of the box en is very simple to start with, but can do compex things too. Advanced Flows are SUPER. Even I can work with it. But: recently I saw a Youtube video that stated that HA will be focussing on more dedicated hardware and much better userfriendlyness. So if Homey would decline, and HA would get much more easy to set up, I might step over in 2 or 3 years. But for now: let us give it a chance.

2 Likes

See my first impressions of Hubitat and comparison with Homey Pro here: Trying to decide (Homey Pro or Hubitat) - #10 by jardak

Sorry to hear you are not happy with Homey Pro. Here it works well for years now (Pro 2019 and _po 2023). I had some issues, that were solved by the community, app maker or Athom. I started anew with homey 4 years ago, so i could check for a app, before buying a device. That helps. So i am more than happy enough to watch how it is going with LG the coming years.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in exactly the same mood as you, and Iā€™m still using my third Homey box (now the Homey Pro 2023) with great enthusiasm and passion. However, Iā€™ve taken a bit of a proactive approach to Home Assistant, and have acquired a Green box, which considerably simplifies the first steps in Home Assistant. Home Assistant still doesnā€™t manage anything at all in my house, and Homey Pro still manages everything, but it makes it easy to get to grips with Home Assistant should anything go wrong with Homey in the next few years. For me, the Homey product is the best tech product of the last 10 years, by far. Without any programming knowledge, Iā€™ve been able to realize projects that I thought were simply unreachable for me. I just hope that LG realizes what a masterpiece of technology and ease of use it has in its handsā€¦

6 Likes

Exactly my approach as well. upside is, there are some things homey canā€™t add (like my solar panels, and still some tuya devices, and this way I get an even better Homey for now, and learning HA for if/when I need to switch over. Only thing I will really miss are the flows. Use them extensively and havenā€™t been able to get my head around Node-redā€¦

LG should work on their LG Thinq app first. A very bad app. Also their washing machines ar of a bad quality. Mine never stays online an after 26 months the display is not working anymore. I was planning to by a dishwasher and dryer from LG but that is not going to happen.

Or better:
Now that Ahom ā€œisā€ LG, why wouldnā€™t Athom develop and maintain the LG app for Homey?

Perhaps they are able to access LGā€™s resources much more easily nowadaysā€¦ :slight_smile:

The LG backend is flawed.

1 Like

Nice article in a Dutch newspaper:

3 Likes

I just got my Homeypro in the us, and i also hope it works out, but im not optimistic, i am using HA with Homeypro but ill also look at Homeseer again to see if they have gotten any better, the reason i left homeseer and skipped HA was Homeyproā€™s ease of use and free plugin apps for my deviceā€™sā€¦ i hate to add homey to my x10, insteon, smartthings, isy994ipro, pile of tech sitting in my closet ā€¦

Buying an expensive product because you do not want it to be a spy in your home and then the company is sold to a company that has changed their focus to spy on their customers for selling the data and train their ā€œAIā€ products.

This is as bad as it can get.

I wonder if itā€™s possible to get my money back, this is not what I bought into.

Listen to ā€œThe Homey Podcastā€ first elpisode. Emile speaks out the whole story in detail. There is no need to worry, if you have doubts still, you should have before the acquisition.

Itā€™s a fairly common occurrence that founders sell to a Big Company and will try to reassure everyone that ā€œnothing will happen, everything will stay the sameā€, only to simply get overruled by Big Company because itā€™s now their company, not the foundersā€™ company.

Well, writing a story here does not make your money walking back to you.

I am so disappointed by this news, and like others, I would be willing to switch to HA. I had the same misadventure with the Nest cameras. At first, everything was perfect, functional, and customer service was quick to exchange the product in case of a malfunction. Once they were bought by Google, everything rapidly deteriorated. They changed their interface, which was so good and functional, and now itā€™s completely useless. In case of a malfunction, itā€™s no longer possible to contact them, which is a real nightmare. Not to mention they donā€™t make any effort to repair the product. I had to leave Nest and switch to Reolink.

Iā€™ve already had negative experiences with LG regarding a product, and despite the emails I sent, they almost never respond, and when they do, itā€™s negative. So for me, itā€™s clear that Homey has signed its death warrant for the coming months, and I think a lot of people will flee when they see how difficult it will be to get reliable support. Big companies like LG and Samsung always have to mess things up and destroy everything. Homey didnā€™t need this; it was working just fine as it was. Iā€™m devastated. I hope Iā€™m wrong, but having gone through this several times before, thereā€™s no doubt that things are going to deteriorate significantly. Weā€™ll have to desynchronize everything and redo all the scripts on HA again, and itā€™s exhausting.

And Homey still works, and I think will work all so next month, year.
And they still support their hardware, if you have trouble then you can made a support mail/ticket, and what I read is that in 90% off all cases their will be support or even replacement.
But offten we read only when somebody only complain here on on facebook, that they ā€œnot supportā€: Strange he if you only complain in the public.

So the support off the hardware with homey is there all ready.
The basic support we know: is here with a lot off strong people, who gives a lot off time to support you.
I beleive that the basic support for Homey or HA is done by the volunteers (the strong people) off HA at their forum.

But the hardware support for HA is not done by allmost nobody (becouse everybody has his own device, and have installed it (ok except the Yellow or the green box).

OK i use for Homey my Kickstart 2016 version, and for HA it is on my Vmware cluster in a VM (unbuntu). (but i think most HA users or running it on a Raspbery-Pi) And a lot off them know what they are doing, but think allso on it when your SD card or hardware is broken. (did you have a backup?)

So what platform should be better for the comming years HA or Homey, I still believe in homey :slight_smile:
And all so better for the WAF (how will your familie working with it if you die).
I have learn my wife some basicā€™s off a flow with homey, and see if she can modify them ( and she is not IT minded). I have allso give her a view how to that in HA (I got very angry faces)

OK I miss off course the dashboard in Homey, I hope it will be come. (that part and some experimental device or running in HA)

I wish every the right move to leave or stay at Homey, but if you leave think on that nice things you left.
Regards Johan