Just info! About Homey Bridge and the max number of END-DEVICES

Well, I’m brand new at this but looking at the bulbs in Developer Tools it looks like they are on the Hue hub, but the smart plugs are not as they are routers…

Question is, how do I connect EndDevices to those routers?

Bulb:

Down almost at the end, Smart Plugs (Routers)

It should happen automatically and I think it has for the penultimate two for example

Some off your devices are already routing over the ‘router’ devices. But best practice is to first connect router devices to your Homey and after that connect end devices.
Since your router devices are number 10 and 11 I suggest you to reset Zigbee, add your router devices first (if possible add more than 2 i.e. maybe you can move a Hue lamp to homey) and then add the end devices. Add the devices in the place of intended use and start with the devices closest to homey and work outwards.

Also, don’t add them to fast after each other, let them settle a bit before adding the next device.

Will think about it, it’s a lot of work removing everything with all the texts and and all th flows…

<<<<<Happy Easter everyone!

Be also aware that the bulb you mentioned is a router-device, but is not in the Homey-zigbee-network, but in the Hue-zigbee-network. If you add it directly to the homey, as one of the first devices, it will act as a router in the Homey-zigbee-network.

Also, how are the routers (2 is not much) spread around your house? If they are further away than some end-devices, it’s most likely that these end-devices will not use the routers, but connect directly to the Homey.

Strangely enough, today I could add 3 more devices, one Smartplugg and 2 vibration sensors. All Aqara.
Go figure?

I had 53 Zigbee devices on my homey bridge, so more than 15 is doable, but yeah it is essential that you use routers.

It did run, but it was flaky, I ran in to problems, that I even had to send my homey bridge back to athom because they wanted to investigate it (received a new one for free :slight_smile: ). I migrated 35 of them to home assistant with a sonoff zigbee 3.0 usb dongle plus, connected my home assistant to the Homey Cloud, added the devices again (in homey cloud, after they were added to Home Assistant) and now everything is working fine. These 35 devices were mostly “generic” zigbee devices (Lidl (read: Tuya) Light bulbs).

By the way, when you power off and on again, homey bridge will rebuild your zigbee network and probably is going to use routers first and attach end devices to these routers later, also depending on the distance they are from the homey Bridge. You might need to run ALL apps once (just "pretend "you are adding a device via App A and quit before actually adding anything and do the same for App B and C etc.).

I just like the homey user interface more, so using it in combination with Home Assistant works for me, just make sure you use a different Zigbee Channel on your Homey Bridge than on your Home Assistant .

Great info, thanks! :grinning:

How do one know if end-devices are indeed connected to a smartplugg?

tools.developer.homey.app under “Zigbee” you will see the last known route of the devices.

In this image it looks that some end-devices are going via a Smart Plugg, is that right?

Look below :slight_smile:

Yes, that is correct. But i can not help to notice, that you have included your routers pretty late. You should exclude the end devices that is listet before the routers, and include the excluded end devices once more.

1 Like

Well, lights and pluggs added them self kind of from Philips Hue, then I added the end-devices, mostly Aqara… well it works now anyway.

Your Hue devices are in a completely separate Zigbee network and don’t do anything to improve your Homey Zigbee network.

2 Likes

Right :slight_smile:

There are no lights in the Homey-zigbee-network, and three non-Philips-Hue-plugs, in your homey-zigbee-network (nrs. 10, 11 and 15). All the other devices in this network are different kinds of sensors (end-devices).

Yes I know, was wrong there, stupid brain… :slight_smile:

1 Like

You say “the older”. I assume you mean prior to Homey Pro 2023? If so, has these specs changed for the new Pro and any after?

Very much, it is 1 of the latest chips available currently, the one in the older Homey Pros (2016-2019) is (almost) 10 years old and also from a different manufacturer.

Super, but I meant what are the new limitations? If the old could handle 20 devices, but adjusted to 15 by Athom, what is now the limit, would you say? I’m aware of the general improvements:
(Source)