Interoperability between protocols

Hello,

I would like to understand how the homey box works. I have understood that it is multiprotocol but I would like to know if it allows interoperability?

For example, I have Z-Wave shutters and a ZigBee fire detector. Can I create a scenario that will say that if the fire detector is triggered, the shutters will close or open (thus communication between the Z-Wave and ZigBee module)?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Hi,
the protocol doesn’t matter.
You just add a device using the corresponding app from the store. Then you have a device showing its current state/values and offering trigger and actions you can use in flows.
Create a flow with the ‘fire detected’ trigger and add your actions you want to process (lights on, open shutter).
That’s all the same logic for all devices (Zigbee, Zwave, Wifi for HomeyPro, Cloud…).

Please check the video about Homey Flows on Youtube.

Your conclusion (“thus communication between…”) is not correct: there is communication between your Z-Wave devices and Homey and your Zigbee devices and Homey, but there is no communication between your Z-Wave and Zigbee devices directly. Homey needs to be up and running as a go-between for this to work.

That said, whether or not your example will work depends on Homey supporting your devices. If such support exists, you can make a flow that does what you want it to do.

1 Like

If all devices are connected to Homey:

The smoke sensor can be fe Z-Wave, the Blinds Wifi of Zigbee and all Lights a combination of RF433, Wifi, BLE, Zigbee and Zwave. That works as long as Homey is Up-and running but also all other devices (and WiFi if applicable) of course :wink:

1 Like