[HOWTO][PRO] Use SoundBoard with Google Chromecast

:rotating_light: Officialy supported in Google Chromecast app since version 6.0.3. Google Chromecast App for Homey | Homey

I was searching for a while to play SoundBoard sounds via my Google Chromecast.
I found a way how to do this.

Requirements:

Steps:

• Install the soundboard app and Chromecsast app
    • Go to App settings
    • Click on SoundBoard and upload a mp3
    • Delete all commands in the input field
    • Paste this command:
      Homey.apps.getAppSettings({id: 'com.athom.soundboard'})
    • Copy sound ID
    • Create a flow in Homey
    • In the THEN part use the Chromecast Cast Sound card with the following url:
      http://HOMEY_IP/app/com.athom.soundboard/userdata/SOUND_ID.mp3

Contributions
If you appreciate what I do, contribute to future development by making a paypal contribution
or buy me a coffee on Ko-Fi or Bunq.me

image ko-fiimage

:computer: Apps made by @martijnpoppen

See for more apps link below :point_down:t2: or just open the pull down.

12 Likes

It works also with the Sonos app. So I guess it will work with every entertainment system where you are able to play something from URL.

Thanks for the great tip! :+1:t3:

1 Like

@DirkG you’re welcome :slight_smile:
Sonos has a integrated Flowcard for this. So that’s what triggered me to find this out

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks, this works almost perfectly. The only thing I do not like is that my Chromecast first plays its “wake-up sound” and then the sound-effect I uploaded. Is there a workaround for this?

1 Like

@DGalama nope unfortunately not. That’s in the Chromecast app

Too bad, I already suspected that.
Strangely enough it does not always play the wake-up sound, but I have not figured out what causes it to play or not play. Probably some time-out.

Thanks for your quick reply!

1 Like

Thank you @martijnpoppen .

That worked. Happy with that. Now i’ve fixed another problem with your solution when i go to the homey pro 2023 without a speaker.

One question. Is it possible to remove the soundboard app from homey when i followed your solution, or will this also remove the sound mp3’s?

Thanks again.

1 Like

@Pieter_Pessers You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately that will remove the mp3’s as they are tied to the app itself

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve tried the same command in Homey dev tools, it show only

Response

“root”:{1 item
“id”: string"com.athom.soundboard"
}

Am i doing it wrongly on my HP2023 ?

@Shiki did you upload a mp3?

Yes, existing i have 8 mp3 files before i migrated from HP2016. I just uploaded one more mp3 file, but running the command still the same. Not sure what am i expecting :thinking: from the results .

Sorry for the late response. But if you only get back the ID it means that there are no app settings.
Can you check the settings of soundboard? :slight_smile:

Hi, here is the setting I have in soundboard on my HP2023. Is there anything else I have missing ?

hmm that’s strange,
Can you try to upload an new mp3?
Just trying to find out if there is something wrong after migration :smiley:

Uploaded a few more mp3 still the same, it does not show any sound ID in the Web API Playground.
I also tried deleted the Soundboard App, re-installed and uploaded new MP3 too but it is same the same, no sound ID output.
Yes, i’ve migrated from HP2016 to HP2023. Not sure if i am only one facing this issue. :thinking:

@Shiki it seems related to the new Homey. Can you run the command and send a screenshot of the output?

Don’t think a lot of people use this tutorial for Soundboard :stuck_out_tongue:

Here the screenshot:

@Shiki can you try this?

Homey.apps.getApp({id: 'com.athom.soundboard'})

yes, there the output:

This function isn’t available in the used homey-api on HomeyScript nor the developer playground for Homey Pro (early 2023), it indeed will only retreive the ID and that is it.
Both need to update the homey-api package used.