[HOW TO] make Xiaomi sensors usb powered

I guess it was just some confusion, the only 5s hack that exists (AFAIK) is for the motion sensor.

But, back on topic, I guess it is a great solution, especially for those where the battery drains fast. In my experience it has a lot to do with the quality of the battery. I always buy my 2032 batteries in bulk. Did have some old laying around and they drained in the deep freeze in a few days. The new ones are at least 6 months good. All others, on other locations easily exceed a year or longer (but don’t have most of the that long).

After checking (and yes i neglected to change the battery), a battery lasts ~6 weeks.
this graph shows the same on my other xiaomi humidity sensors.
as this is strange and frustrating i am happy that there is a solution.

Are you sure it’s the battery and not signal/connection loss or something like that? Because 6 weeks is really short.

I have 16 of those sensors (both Aqara and the older ones) and everyone of them easily last more then a year. I have had one set of 4 once that were empty 4 months after receiving, but after replacing the batteries with brand new ones they also work already more than 14 months.

Apart from that, i really like the modification and am certainly going to use it for a few sensors in difficult to reach places.

Glad you like it :slight_smile:

when i replace the battery (local supermarket & AliExpress) the sensors works fine for 6 weeks.
its not the distance iether as i have 6/26 zigbee router points.
but hey, if the battery’s work for 1~3 years for other ppl i also would doubt to do this mod :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth: I use batteries from Ikea. Cheap and they work excellent…

1 Like

All my aqara devices work for years on a single battery. I don’t think I have replaced a single battery yet, all the original “China” battery. For more then a dozen window/door sensors and temperature sensors. And using them for 2 years certainly, if not longer…

Nice idea. what about the temperature accuracy now? I expect the voltage regulator to create some heat in the case. Did you check? Would be interesting to know.

my analog temp meter is +0.1 degrees C above the modded xiaomi :slight_smile:

Given how long these devices work with a battery (for some people at least :wink: ) I would think we’re talking microamps. Together with the regulator having to drop only about 1.7V I don’t think it will generate any relevant heat :smiley:

Just a small remark. The load current and voltage drop is small as the sensor is a low power design. The voltage regulator consumes additional (own) power and this can be more than the load (sensor) as this regular is probable a general purpose regulator!