How to make Homey turn off a chromecast TV?

Any idea how to make Homey turn off a TV with Chromecast through a flow?

1 Like

As power off is not an option for Chromecast devices you have to think in other options.

• Smart TV IR app (depending on location Homey vs TV)
  • learnned IR (same)
  • Smart TV App (lnetwork connected, ike for fe Samsung and LG)
  • Power Plug, (worst case)
1 Like

Or A Logitech Hub or Elite. Pretty neat, but very expensive.

2 Likes

Yeah I got that for my main TV but this one is in my bedroom.
I guess the best option would be to go with a smart plug in this case as this is a quite old TV. Just want it to shut off during night or when everyone leaves the house.

Thanks all! At least now I know I dont have to try the Chromecast route anylonger :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well actually, i noticed that my Chromecast is able to turn off my TV using Google Home. Iā€™ve named my chromecast simply ā€œTVā€ and when i use the voice command:
Hey google turn off the tv
my TV is turned off, regardless which input device it is using. This probably uses HDMI-CEC to send the TV OFF signal. It also works to turn the TV on again.

However unfortunately there is no Homey Chromecast Action Card to do this.

I have a sony bravia kdl720ex in combination with a 2nd gen chromecast.

2 Likes

Yes that works fine and has always worked fine here tooā€¦ Each night I say either ā€œHey google, turn on the bedroom TVā€ or ā€œTurn off theā€¦ā€. The issue is that there is no support for it through the Homey chromecast app.

My workaround idea was to make Homey tell Google assistant something. But that does not work eitherā€¦ It only works the other way around ā€œTell Homey toā€¦ā€ but I cant tell Homey something like ā€œTell Google Assistant to Turn off the bedroom TVā€. That would had solved lots of things :slight_smile:

Do you have any other programmable device connected to your TV? I have a raspberry pi connected that i use in combination with Kodi.
I use this pi to invoke the cec commands that I wantā€¦ you do have to set up something with a sshclient to invoke the remote command though.

Turning your tv on:

echo 'on 0' | /usr/osmc/bin/cec-client -s -d 1

Turning your tv off:

echo 'standby 0' | /usr/osmc/bin/cec-client -s -d 1

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I do not have anything else connected however.
Would be so good if the chromecast app developer could add it instead, so that it would be user friendly :slight_smile:

Athom is the developer of this specific appā€¦ i dont see the project on their public repo anymore for some reason but based on an old fork they seem to use this nodejs library. Looking at that library i dont see any support to turn devices on/off.

long story short: dont count on it. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for digging in to it.

And no simple way to make Homey execute Google assistant commands either as far as I know, so I guess it is a stupid ā€œsmart plugā€ then :frowning:

Chromecast has full support Cec and does fully supports turning off a hdmi device aka tv

The athom chromecast app doesnā€™t support it
Home assistant has support from in since chromecast supported dev fully (mid 2017)
Other platforms all have support for it if they support chromecast

You should raise a issue at athom support

3 Likes

they are figuring out support for this feature in HA here:

same for OpenHab here

so those platforms also dont support this as of yet

Strange then that HA does this flawlessly in my cabin setup. Must admin I use xiaomi chromecast stick there .

Nevertheless I can turn of my little ones tv off.
Itā€™s a flatscreen non smart no power plug only has a google chromecast

When I type in homey app chat turn off TvMylo it turns of the tv thru the chromecast by cec
So somewhere there is something that pushes the command to the google chromecast

Turn on isnā€™t possible yet

HDMICEC support would be amazing

2 Likes

Hi guys, maybe it is stating the obviousā€¦ My TV goes on when I put the plug in the wall outlet. So I use a cheap sonoff tasmota relay switch($8,-) to turn my tv on and off.

2 Likes

problem is others cant turn it on again without homey app

You can have a remote / smart button / whatever else to trigger the on/off function so actually I think this is the only option right now.

I will go with a smart plug.

But yeah it is not the solution. It is the workaround rather.