Homey Pro in campervan

Anybody have experience using homey in a camper van? I’m thinking to to install and use Heimdall security, and other things! the Homey does not pull that many watts, should be possible. Have a batterypack of 300ah (lifepoe4 lithium), 750w solarpanels on the roof, and a 2000w inverter inside.

Is your camper van equipped with lan/wifi/internet?

Yes, a Zyxel NR2301 5g router, unlimited use.

1 Like

Thank you, this is a campevan account, acctually an experienced Homey Pro user since the beginning. Did though switch my smart home to Home Assistant, docker version early 2021 (local storage)

2 Likes

There is a small Dutch Topic: use your favourite translate app: Homey in de camper?

300ah at what voltage? I guess 12volt but it depends as that doesn’t describe the total energy (at 5 Volt vs 48 Volt is almost factor 10 :wink: )

Well, inverter does the job concerning 12v to 230v. 300ah (12v) equals about 2500w summertime, 2000w wintertime. The trick is using lates lifepoe4 lithium batteries,safe and fast charging.

I guess the Energy should be in Wh => 300h x 1 A x 12 Volt =~ 3600 Watt x Hour. or any Load you can provide.
But to the Point, Homey takes between 1 and 2 A at 5 Volt. => 5 to 10 Watt x 24h …

Not really limitations there, just as mentioned in the Dutch topic: let say fe Router + Homey take at a max 20 Watt it is 20x24 =up to ~ 500 Wh every day you miss for other things and need to charge (or Run Engine, or need Grid Connection) more than without.
Use fe Measured value’s to check what an idle runtime would be (Leaving your camper parked and with minimal or no Sun in your long winter night’s )

BTW: I think Homey and maybe the router can run on an USB -Adapter on 12 Volt, probably less conversion loss than using the 230 Volt inverter and a 230 to USB adapter.

Energy is I guess not really an issue,

Other Point, What are your use cases?
Presence (Build-in) is probably not going to work as Homey has no GPS connection afaik, If you define your usage scenario’s with manual setting Locations / presence or Armed/Disarmed and use it with fe Zigbee contact and Motion sensors…
I think that could work to notify but is an expensive solution

I use Homey cloud with Tuya components in my Caravan to switch my heating system on and Max current protection

2 Likes

Words your insurance company never wants to read in the same sentence.

1 Like

Heimdall with sensors on all the doors, windows and hatches. Also air sensors, smart sockets (230v) from inverter.

2 Likes