Homey Pro (Early 2023) - (P)Review Alpha Testing

What is my only question left.
How do we get the new homey app? because the version that I have only supports the old homey. Tomorrow is the new homey pro here. Is there a beta invite code?

Yes. Its in the box. Edit: not a code, but instructions on how to get the v7 beta app.

2 Likes

Same question here:

I am trying to install the Early 2023 as described in the manual on the site.

However, how do I get Homey App version 7+?
I can’t find it in the Google Store!
There the highest version is 6.11.13.
And it doesn’t show Early 2023.

Did you read the included letter?

Yeah, just found it hidden in the box. :slight_smile:

Thanks for thinking along, @Robin_De_Lange; appreciated!
Of course you could design a workround, but I am a bit worried about (other?) lacking functionality that was not mentioned by Athom before as well… :frowning:
And when Emile says it is confusing for people what alarms do; well sending webhooks from phones with third party apps (Android and Macrodroid in my case) is not very userfriendly too. And that when we had a perfecty working alarm function…
With your suggestion:

• I see no trigger in Macrodroid for detecting an alarm set in my phone
  • Alarms should be programmed 15 min before wake-up time, since my lights increase 15 min before, same with opening my curtains.
  • There should be a way to distinguish alarms as I don’t want the same actions to happen when setting an alarm for my parking meter or when the oven is ready. You might think of workarounds here too, but not easy to get it watertight.
  • Etc.

So why depricate a perfect working functionality? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, leaving and entering the Beta-program a few times finally showed an update button, so if you don’t see it, and clearing cache doesn’t work, leave the program and re-enter it (and repeat a few times for me).

2 Likes

So I wonder, can you still install and use SDK2 app on new Homey Pro 2023 ? Can you install them or simply SDK2 is fully removed for new Homey ?

Note to all Devs now unboxing,

To setup Homey Pro Early 2023 you need at least a Homey mobile app version 7.0.x.x.
You neeed to join this beta testing channel on Android or testflight on iOS.

Follow the instructions from the leaflet in your Box to get the version 7 app. It also works with older Homey’s.

If that doesn’t work contact Athom on slack…

1 Like

The reason nobody uses Alarms is that they do not understand that it could be used to start flows, because it is named Alarms.
Still the use of Alarms as a Scheduler is brilliant.

My suggestion is to rename Alarms to Scheduler!

9 Likes

That’s the best idea so far :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Haha, indeed!
@Emile: are you reading along? Haha!

2 Likes

Haha, you marked your own reply as “solution”, but you started it as a review.
Good for your “solution” quota? :rofl:

Sorry, I have to admit that I actually agree with Athom.

While this all makes sense to us, for someone completely new to Homey, they are told ‘go to flows to automate your house’ and you and have a when trigger based on dates/times but then we also tell them - unless you want to go to the scheduler/alarm.

If I think about new users it seems confusing, sometimes hard calls need to be made in order to ensure your platform is not becoming beholden to the legacy which may not make sense.

Another work around might be to use the alarms in Alexa/Google to trigger the flow (via virtual button). This might be more flexible to your needs.

2 Likes

Well, then Athom should make it more clear to new users instead of deprecating functionality that works perfectly well and is used to full satisfaction by their current users.
Why think more of new users and not of the current ones…?

5 Likes

You can also hide it behind the power user feature :man_shrugging: So the casual user don’t get confused

10 Likes

Thanks for all the info.

I read (Yes, Speech and Sound are missing), is there a way to let Homey say information? I use it now to tell that i have to put the carbide bin outside etc.

You can let the old Homey say stuff.
Else, you will need a speaker somehow i guess.

+1 for me. I have four flows running on alarm (wekker).

1 Like

FYI We have re-added Alarms to Homey Pro (Early 2023) :tada:

35 Likes