Homey Pro (Early 2023) Crash with high CPU load and low CPU temperature (in the middle of the night)

Thanks god I have a ordinary backup-alarm on my cellphone, otherwise the whole family would have overslept today.
Because our Homey-“Alarm WakeUp Flow” (Sonos, Lights, Heaters, …) did not start at all.

Obviously I immediately opened the Homey-App on my cellphone where it stated “Homey cannot be reached” or “Homey offline” (or something similar, I don’t remember).

To reduce the angriness of my wife (didn’t work out, but not going into detail here…) I immediately ran downstairs and manually turned off the electricity of the Homey, turned it on again, waited for it to boot and than manually ran the WakeUp Flow.

Now I am checking what the hell happened.

The CPU insights were highly strange. In the middle of the night (everyone was sleeping) at 3:30ish the CPU Load spiked while the CPU temperature went down. So apparantly the homey crashed at 3:30ish!? At 5:15ish I restarted the Homey manually (see above). I analysed if any flow or anything similar might have started at 3:30 but I cannot see any flow or anything for that matter that could explain the situation.

My Homey LEDs are generally always turned off. So when the Homey could not be reached and I took it of the electricity, obviously the LEDs were off. That means that obviously I could not see for example a “red breathing” or anything like that.

My Homey is connected via WLAN.

My Homey is connected to electricity through the delivered adapter and cable.

My Homey worked fine for some days, no changes were made.

My Homey’s Firmware Version is 10.1.0

==> Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do other than hoping it would not occur again?

Any other technology then Wifi ?, eg. Zigbee , Zwave ?

I believe RED ring will be started regardless of previous LED ring state.

Any chance to connect via Ethernet ?

Maybe you lost Wifi connectivity ? Those insights kept recording, you don’t have fully flat graphs, so Homey core was running. Try to install some app, which will simply will record event in the timeline and restart Homey in case of lost connectivity. Eg. Net Scan App for Homey | Homey or Network Check App for Homey | Homey

Take System diag asap and contact Athom + install Sysinternals app, add Homey 2023 and Alarm devices for future troubleshooting.

They released the version 10.1.0 yesterday. Could it be that homey automatically installed that version during the night and then didn’t finish until you pulled the plug?
I have had that issue before. With another release…

My Homey rebooted three times this night. One flow is rebooting the Homey when wifi is disconnected during 15 minutes, so this might have caused the multiple reboots.

This morning, I had to remove power twice to get rid of the ‘Homey is offline’ message.

After the second reboot everything is fine now. But the update this night has caused a lot of automatic en manual reboots to get things working again.

First of all thank you so much for all the ideas and input!

Any other technology then Wifi ?, eg. Zigbee , Zwave ?

All of the above, but again: None of those should have done anything at that point in time.

I believe RED ring will be started regardless of previous LED ring state.

Good to know! It was definitely not RED.

Those insights kept recording, you don’t have fully flat graphs, so Homey core was running.

I was also wondering about that. If it crashes, how come it would still protocol this data…

Maybe you lost Wifi connectivity ?

I would claim that my Wifi per se is very stable. But of course it’s not impossible.

Unfortunately not. I would need to buy the adapter first, but even worse: My Homey is in a different room than the router so I’d physically have no way to connect via cable.
But in case the problem would occur again I could temporary try that.

Try to install some app, which will simply will record event in the timeline and restart Homey in case of lost connectivity. Eg. Net Scan App for Homey | Homey or Network Check App for Homey | Homey
Take System diag asap and contact Athom + install Sysinternals app, add Homey 2023 and Alarm devices for future troubleshooting.

Thanks for the ideas. Considering that it might (probably) have just been a “one time hiccup” because of the update I will now first hope for it not to happen again. But yes, surely now I would have something in hand in case of reocurring desaster…

They released the version 10.1.0 yesterday. Could it be that homey automatically installed that version during the night and then didn’t finish until you pulled the plug?
I have had that issue before. With another release…

Theoretically possible, but practically we are talking about almost two hours for a update. Don’t think that’s feasable.

My Homey rebooted three times this night. One flow is rebooting the Homey when wifi is disconnected during 15 minutes, so this might have caused the multiple reboots.
This morning, I had to remove power twice to get rid of the ‘Homey is offline’ message.
After the second reboot everything is fine now. But the update this night has caused a lot of automatic en manual reboots to get things working again.

Sorry for your problems, but honestly I am very glad to hear that I was not alone with the problem!!
I think for now I will just disable the automatic update and do it manually when I’m home (ideally alone :grin:)

Exactly the same thing happened to me, but homey does not connect…
Tried restarting it several times, the led ring shines normal but homey does not connect…

How/where do I contact support?

Managed to submit a ticket, the response time is whooping 2-3weeks…
It seams that Athom updated the wifi drivers, does anyone know how to setup the wifi again without doing a factory reset?

Thanks! @robertklep This solved it :slight_smile:

mine is dead too, doesnt connect.
it flashes white on startup then it never goes online.

how did you fix this?

Re login to wifi, see URL above. It was a bug in the release

Pssst, turn off auto update. It’s not the first time it breaks things

Hi i noticed twice last week when i woke up that nothing has worked and Homey light was red breathing. Power off and on fixed it but…it’s really not ok. It was the firmware 10.0.8 i noticed that it was also about 3am and the free memory felt to 3% don’t know why, standard free memory on my Homey is 16-20%

I’m quite interested in how you made that flow. Can you share some more info? Because I tried finding options to do this and I failed :grin:

@Lex I connected the Homey to Ethernet, so that flow isn’t running anymore.

But I used two apps; device capabilities and sysInternals. The first one is used to check if a certain capability has a certain value for a specified amount of time. The second one is to know if the wifi is connected.

Checking the capability

Device created on App sysInternals

Hope this helps you creating the total flow needed.