[Homey Pro (Early 2023)] App unsupported list

So it’s possible that some apps, even though they already use SDK3, don’t work properly on the HP2023?

1 Like

This could be the case. Some fixes have been implemented from the Athom side to minimize this issue.

About the Paths
Using absolute paths are bad practice and shouldn’t been used in the first place.
as far as my knowledge goes.

About the HomeyAPI changes some may work without issue some would need some work from the developer. The good thing Athom is working on a backwards compatibility for the HomeyAPIV2 so the developer only needs to support the V3 version and it should work on all Homey Devices,

4 Likes

Both the Web API and the SDK have changes that are backward incompatible. As @spkesDE says, for the Web API, Athom is working on a compatibility layer, but for some of my apps, I’ve ran into problems due to changes in the SDK that were neither documented nor communicated in any way, which requires me to do a lot more testing than I had anticipated (also because now I have to switch back and forth between the new and the old hardware to see if a particular change doesn’t break on either Homey).

4 Likes

That’s not nice to hear.
But thank you both for the information.

1 Like

purely out of curiosity, are there also any advantages of HomeyAPIV3?

Definitely! SDK3 is maintained. SDK2 is not.

3 Likes

I haven’t found any. In fact, it seems like a regression (for instance, in V2 device objects contain the device’s zone name directly, whereas in V3 it only contains the zone id which means that a developer now has to retrieve the list of zones manually and match them against the list of devices; not a big deal, but I don’t see the point).

2 Likes

HomeyAPIV3 is the Web API, not the SDK.

1 Like

You are right. I am assuming. My assumption is that APIv3 is based on SDK3, while APiv2 is based on SDK2…

Nope.
All my apps were already SDK3, still used the APIv2.

2 Likes

The Web API has its own numbering scheme of course :sweat_smile:

To make matters even more complicated: SDK3 on the new Homey Pro is not the same as SDK3 on the old Homey Pro :sob:

1 Like

Yes, but the SDK version of the app doesn’t have to have the same SDK version that HomeyAPI is using :wink:
So still my guess and assumption is that Athom is using SDKv3 for the new Homey-api (=APIv3), while they were using SDK2 for athom-api (=APIv2)

The current stable homey-api also uses APIv2 (the current beta, 3.0.0-rc.something, uses APIv3).

3 Likes

I am curious. At the moment though, it would be smart home suicide to sell your erarly 2019 immediately. I’m also no longer convinced to just transfer the backup of the 2019 to the 2023. Maybe it’s smarter to move the devices and flows gradually.

3 Likes

Smart move, but what happened to the daring do it all with eyes closed @Undertaker?
:joy:

3 Likes

In Germany, such people are called “cannon fodder”. I am becoming more and more relaxed about the fact that my order number starts at 69. It is still early enough to prepare myself for this adventure :innocent::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

4 Likes

[APP][Pro] Amazon - Alexa, now has an experimental version available for people running HP2023.

4 Likes

Update on the Ring Doorbell and Camera app:

The update to SDK3 is ready to be tested. Because the app is new to me I have no insight in how many users have previously installed it as a test version so I’m a bit reluctant to publish a test version to the App Store before more people have tested the app.

Please see the thread on Slack concerning testing the SDK3 version.

I’ve also run this version on the new Homey Pro Early 2023 and see no difference compared to how it performs on older Homeys, so up to now it looks updating to SDK3 is enough to use it on Homey Pro Early 2023 without any additional changes.

6 Likes

Just wanted to give a big Thank you for all the developers that are working on developing there and others app to make it HP2023 compatible.

Thank you very much.

18 Likes

Hi! I know that many, along side myself has asked about ikea tradfri gateway app. The last post i can find regarding an update is in another forum post link.

I don’t know wheter or not @rogierhofboer has made any progress in possibly updating the app but i read that pull request is welcome. I don’t have the skillset myself but i thought it would be a good idea to post it in this thread, perhaps there is someone willing to help out?