Homey Pro Backups (formerly Homey+) subscription

And hopefully this forum one less whinger. With all due respect m8.
Homey is the least expense in ANY decent home automation setup with the rest of peripherals summing up a lot times more than Homey itself.

I see your point and respect it as well as I see Athom’s point in trying to be a long life company and give us free updates for the years to come, and that can’t happen just by selling hardware. We’re lucky with all those great community devs that gives you free beautiful apps.

A paid subscription comes with power for the user. Once on, I can grab Athom by their balls (perhaps 3 of them like Homey) if something goes wrong.

Yes mods, no problem if you delete my post, or move it :grinning:

6 Likes

With all due respect I would just prefer to keep the Homey running, not have to rewrite my flows and see a local backup solution (as I believe not only I have been waiting long for).
If that is whining to you then I cannot help you.

There you go matey, this is what this threat is about, a nice an honest opinion about Athom’s decision of going with a subscription for a cloud backup and not about comparing apples with pears and God knows what other exotic fruits, then throwing your toys and leaving.
Now you’re coming home.

I am happy now, thank you. :wink:

2 Likes

Would be a nice gesture if the early adaptors - those who helped initiated Homey in the first place by buying an unseen product - would have a free subscription. :slight_smile:

Hey! I’m Dutch!

PS
Imperihome did the same; the buyers got lifetime free subscriition when a monthly fee was introduced

1 Like

I’m Dutch too :nerd_face:
I’m willing to pay € 5,00 / month if they add speech recognition back to the 2019 version and repair IR.

3 Likes

When will Homey+ be released? Can not find it.

1 Like

nobody knows, but i can’t be long as its already on the homey site

1 Like

And since it is operational according to the status site, https://status.athom.com/.

That’s the status of Homey Cloud Backups, that works while tested in the alpha channel.
But I also expect it soon to become available public.

I am not one of those however, I second this opinion, together with community developers with published apps should have a free subscription.

4 Likes

I think that a subscription only for back up is an exaggeration. if they finish speech what they say at the startup , then I don’t have to use google and worry about my privacy.
maybe then you want to buy it. it is a device of 300 € and not of a few euros that has an subscriber form.

Must have been a big rock u was under the last few months! :joy:

I know. Since 2.0 it is auto disabled

Have you seen the mic is removed in the latest models? Already a year …

Edit: btw the subscription is intended to have more features than backup only.

Yes. I know. It is very disappointing. speech was the focus point at the kickstart. “talk to your home” :see_no_evil:

Why compete with alexa and google. I think it was a wise choice removing that.
Just gives athom more time spent on other usefull stuff we need :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t get it. Why all these complaints when nobody knows what they are going to offer us for the subscription or do you now more than I do?i’l just wait and see.

3 Likes

Don’t you think Google and Alexa are better at speach? I’m fully with athom with focusing on important and leaving other things to better providers.

Now, issue here is that integration with Google is not really flawless and that really is a problem. You leave something to Google then integration doesn’t work like it should…

I’m kind of hoping to see homey+ in February. My logic is, if it’s already published in how to it must be just around a corner.

If Athom supplied 2 years free backup with every new Homey sold - I would be ok with subscription after that.

Then you COULD buy a new homey to upgrade your old one - and start backup - so when you get your new one - you could easily switch them out.

I would consider upgrading to a pro as my “?Old” Homey is suffering from lack of memory.

So extra sales from introducing backup/restore functions - who would have thought that…

I don’t think most people plan on replacing their Homey every 2 years. Especially since they already feel a Homey is ‘pricey’…

I’m a Kickstarter backer, I don’t even feel it’s necessary to get the subscription for free.
Life is expensive, if 10€/year is too much for your budget you shouldn’t be playing with automation devices.

5 Likes