Homey Pro 2023 Fully-Local After Setup

Can Homey Pro 2023 run fully local, without any internet access?

Reading some other topics on the forum, I’ve seen various reports that it might be possible, but that full functionality won’t be available (without any real explanation). I’ve read that the app will connect to Homey Pro via the local network first. And after installing apps, plenty of apps shouldn’t need to use the internet for their functionality. My question is exactly how functional it will be without any internet access?

For example, I would connect it to the internet to do the initial setup (including installing any third-party apps), and then disconnect it permanently. Assuming those 3rd party apps don’t have any hard dependencies on making direct web calls or receiving callbacks via the API, will everything otherwise work?

Thanks!

Afaik yes. When you use local radios (zigbee, zwave, 433MHz, IR, Ble) it doesn’t need internet and just runs.

Bummer alert: not tested irl

For the Pro 201x model I informed with Support, they told me it runs max 2 weeks without internet, and then it still is manageable through mobile & web app;
After that time, it will keep running fine, but you cannot manage it anylonger (because of the online authentication system)

I think that is mostly about information and updates. You can’t receive push notifications f.i.
But you can log everything to a local syslog server with the Simple Sys Log app.
Not sure if you can view insights (history graphs) locally, but there’s also apps to export it to local FTP or SMB etc.

Yes, full manageable thru the Web App, but only using grasshoppers?

beside that the Homey uses a Let’s Encrypt Certificate for *.homey.homeylocal.com.
These certificates have a lifetime of 90 days. I expect it can switch a mobile App to un-encrypted but for normal operation Homey self needs internet to renew these and also because it doesn’t have a RTC and time probably will drift soon or after powercycles.

Geurt, this is what SUPPORT TOLD ME. You know, the guys and girls working for the Athom company.
I can´t help it when they’re selling BS

Nothing against you,
but how would someone use the webapp without internet connection?

Guess you need something like internet to access the WebApp and something between the WebApp and Homey, maybe IP over Avian Carriers - Wikipedia (but question, is that also Internet?) or maybe the grasshoppers I mentioned.

Homey Pro is not designed to be offline for longer periods,
imho the design is to keep it functioning whatever is possible local, during (relative short) Internet Access failures.

Without testing, many things will fail when there is no connection for longer periods of time.

But for the WebApp I don’t see how it would work offline.

It also requires Athom DNS servers to be able to resolve those hostnames to begin with.

1 Like

Good point, guess it switches to unsecure communication when there is no resolving to that dns for the mobile app. But thats something that can be tested.