Homey end of Speech and Google Home integration

No scene. Just devices!

More info. Just deleted the person (that I lastly added) from my household and thus also from the connected accounts in home/hub.
Doesn’t make a difference!! Home/hub recognizes the person and thus does not start any of the routines that are created under the main account.

@Edwin_D are you 100% sure that your family members can start a routine while your smartspeaker recognizes them as not being the main account?

I wanted to test this, but right now Google isn’t recognising a word anyone says. A rare glitch at Google? She’ll be out soon for sports so I’ll get back to you to make sure.

OMG, I am so ashamed - I probably wasted a lot of your time experimenting. :scream:

Apparently, my wife, with whom we first tested voice match, somehow lost voice match. She uses flows the time, but never calendar stuff recently since I switched from buttons to flows.

My kids on the other hand still have proper voice match, but apparently never activate flows by voice. They use the buttons at the door.

Turns out you are right, there’s no magic here because my kids cannot use the routines. Sorry! :lying_face:

:slight_smile:
No worries. Now at least I know that there is not somebody else who did solve the problem that I simply am not able to solve .
I’m considering to ask Athom support for this as to my opinion this could be something they may have overlooked and might have a solution for

1 Like

If I understand your challange correctly, it should be quite easely overcome with a virtual device.
Set up a virtual device and activate that from Google. Then have the virtual device activate your flows.
Not as smooth as activating flows directly, but should work for all flows and with all users.

Thanks @dude for stepping in.
Yes I know that this could solve it (partly) but I do believe that that really is a poor mans solution.
Then I would have to say things like:

• Turn on welterusten
  • turn on music in aanbouw louder
  • turn on music in aanbouw less loud
  • turn on who is at home

Again. Definitely not my preferred solution.
Then I’d rather unmatch the voices of my family members

Yes, the “direct” voice commands with this solution is not very sexy.
I did it like that last year, when Google’s routines wasn’t available here.

However, you can use the virtual devices with assistant routines as well. Then you can have routines that is activatet with whatever sentence you like, and then have google activate multiple virtual devices in that routine.

One obstacle is that when a device is activated, it obviusly can’t be activated again before it has been deactivated. I solved this by adding “turn off virtual device after 1 sec.” to the flow that it triggers, making it a momentary switch.

The main downside with this imo. is that you have to split up your logic between Homey and Google assitant.

Problem is, routines are personal as well as far as I can tell. Basically this is I think a Google problem, why link devices to a shared home and not the scenes?

Yep. I googled a bit for sharing routines and found a forum where people (US based I believe) were already asking for sharing of routines between family members back in 2018. So likely it will not become available soon.
My strategy is to unmatch the voices for the rest of my family, such that a smart speaker will always choose my account to run the routines.
Haven’t implemented my strategy yet…,

I have a little experiment with IFTTT & homey, see screenshots.
This seems to work for me, for which this is the ifttt account, i’m google house member & homey owner. Don’t know yet if it works for other house members / non IFTTT accounts & non-homey owners. pff what a hassle, I just want the good old days with “tell homey” :cry:

And it kinda all depends on the “emulate speech” action in Homey, if that is also being phased out I’m back to square one.

Thanks for sharing. for now I will stick to disabling the voice match for all family members except myself. Then Google Home/Hub will automatically choose to run my routines and thus activates the flows that I have set as favorite.

Note that I also created a support ticket at Athom, and got an initial positive response.

I’ afaid that emulate speach will stop functioning april 1, see End-of-life of Homey’s speech recognition - Check your Flows.

I like the thought of the IFTTT route. I do not like that IFTTT is not available in Dutch for Google Assistant. It’s too bad there’s no way to execute a flow by a name text field. I do thing that this is something that Athom could add quite easily as an alternative to Emulate speach.

@Frank_van_de_Schuur any positive news from your direct contact Athom? :crossed_fingers:

No, nothing after the initial positive respons.

Well maybe that’s not true. I did receive an evaluation survey on how I would judge the support I had received :thinking:

hihi
I’ve opened a support case with Athom as well. lets see if that brings something

I think I got the same (type of) email.
We’re looking into it, we have noted the proposed feature, no commitment on if it will be developed. etc.
My old skool setup, using tell homey, has already broke. Maybe because I’m on the beta testing thingy…
However, all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and/or make virtual devices/buttons

Or do what I did.
Disconnect the smart speaker(s) for all users except the main user who has created routines and synced the favorite flows to google assistant

that didn’t seem to do the trick for me. Maybe because my main account for the household (google) is not the same as the account that is owner of Homey.

That might be it indeed.