Homey Cloud Backup - (part of Homey Pro Backups subscription)

Do these backups include account credentials?

(for example for the website that serves my solar panel data)

If so, are these backups encrypted?

With a private key that only I know?

1 Like

You can set the ‘experimental’ updates back to NO after the upgrade to 4.0

For some Yes, for some No:

After migration, for all 3rd party services where you’ve logged in with your Homey account, e.g. Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and IFTTT, you must log in again to ensure they keep working correctly.

1 Like

In my example the password is stored locally in the settings of the Solar Panels App.

The documentation does not seem to mention what happens with making a back-up.

I’m afraid they may be stored in plain text in the cloud…

Not sure what provider is used by Athom but all the big players encrypt data in transit and at storage account level so I am pretty convinced this is not a problem…

If you leave your S3 buckets open for the world to read, transit or storage encryption isn’t going to save you. Ideally, each backup is encrypted with a unique per-Homey encryption key that is only stored on Homey (so even Athom wouldn’t be able to read the backups).

But it’s not implemented like that because that would make it impossible to use backup and restore to migrate to another Homey.

2 Likes

True :sweat_smile:

I highly doubt that this is the way they give users storage accounts tbh… bind each blob to a user and there is absolutely no problem

But it is bound to your account, so I guess it isn’t that hard to add some kind of salt/encryption key to the account itself

1 Like

Just bought the subscription and made the first back-up. Worked without hickups, so great work! Now let’s hope I never have to use it.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who thinks it’s weird that we have to pay for something that should be default in the device?

4 Likes

See Homey Pro Backups (formerly Homey+) subscription :wink:

2 Likes

Yes.

No.

1 Like

Is this a serious question? Should i go search around the forum to give you a true answer? Or is it just a complaint?

Cant find a switch/setting for it, where is it?

https://developer.athom.com/tools/settings

I found the other post with similar questions/comments, so you can ignore mine. It was a serious question and maybe also a bit of a complaint. The backup function has been a request for so long and should have been on top of the list of improvements and now it’s there but only in a paid cloud backup. In my opinion it’s a sad move. Backup configurations is something that should be in there by default. It’s not that I don’t want to pay for things. I’ve paid app developers.

4 Likes

I would be happy if philips hue or xiaomi offered a backup. I would even pay for it.

4 Likes