Home / away 2nd iPhone

I don’t have a specific solution for you but I may have a workaround. I was also very frustrated by different apps not working properly with geofencing for one reason or another. I’ve had problems with Arlo, Vera etc so I don’t really trust 3rd party apps to plug into the geofencing of iPhones any more. So I did this…

My suggestion only works if you are able to use Homekit/Home in Apple and automation within that, so an apple tv or ipad which is at home is required. Using this I have not bothered giving my wife access to Homey but she manages the lights via Homekit/Home-app.

So what I did was set up a virtual switch in Homey and call it “Away”. This switch is then synced over to Homekit. I then in homekit set up geofencing so that when the first person arrived home it turned off Away and when the last person left it turned on Away. I use this switch as a check for all my flows which are dependent on home or away.

This has been the most reliable geofencing solution for me so far.

My build-in home and away detection works perfect here with 2 iPhones and 1 Samsung phone. I do not use SmartPresence. Try the regular build-in detection? I start my going away flows with someone is leaving and no is at home. The coming home flows start with someone is coming home.

Hello Rob,

When we leave together, I m signed as “away” but my wife is not marked as “away” as well…
I did all things with location and energy but still a problem…

Hi Rob,

Again not working or did it also not work 2 days ago?

Like other Rob said in the account of your wife ‘Gebruik Thuis/Afwezig Detectie’ should be on (but I think that you already checked 2 days ago.

What happend if you change the presence in the app itself? Hopefully Apple-app is the same; you can click on the home screen in the right upper corner on the initials amd then choose first option ‘Mijn aanwezigheid’.

With the second option ‘Mijn homeys’ you can check the homey :slight_smile:

Also: what kind of account you gave your wife? I do not know if there is a difference.

I have an account on Homey and am connected with my Homey.
My wife has an account on Homey and is connected with my Homey.
When leaving home both, I am noted as “away”, she isn’t.
The same when coming home.
When switching manually between “home” and “away”, it says so in both accounts but doesn’t switch back the iPhone of my wife when home again. Mine does…

Hallo Max,

Tnx for your input! I tried it but no go…
I have an account on Homey and am connected with my Homey. As an answer to Hielke I wrote:

“My wife has an account on Homey and is connected with my Homey.
When leaving home both, I am noted as “away”, she isn’t.
The same when coming home.
When switching manually between “home” and “away”, it says so in both accounts but doesn’t switch back the iPhone of my wife when home again. Mine does…???”

most likely then it is the network settings for the IPhone. Unfortunately I do not have IPhone so I cannot check.

Obvious question: is the phone connected to the same wifi as your own phone?

You checked this:
Check that you don’t have “Private Wi-Fi address” enabled on the device under wifi. Settings > Wi-Fi > tap the (i) for your Wi-Fi network. Ensure that "Private Wi-Fi address is disabled there.

This feature anonymizes the device MAC address, resulting in the device getting random IP’s from the router.

Hallo Hielke,
Thanks again for your response!
Everything is connected to the same network and Private Wi-Fi addresses are disabled?

Hallo Rob, that is a pain in the $% a small question … did it worked always this way or was it just after update iOS or Homey? - as I can remember they had have some issues with presence but that was ages ago.

What could be an issue; in the DHCP server (router) there is a possibility to reserve the given iPaddress for the device it might be a miss match with your wife iPhone.
If you have given the iPhone an iPaddress out of the DHCP range than is addressreservation not necessary.

the private where Hielke is referring to - is Settings> WiFi > select the i of the Wifinetwork there you fint the Privat WiFi-address to enable/disable.

hope it helps a little … regards Max

What you might look at, is that at “presence” on Bea’s iPhone, the Homey location is somewhere else as it should be. Trace this and if so, locate it at proper spot.

Thanks.
I triple-checked location on both iPhones and both are correct…

What about the settings for the location? Has the Homey-app the rights to Always use the location and is location set te precise?

Thanks.
Yes and yes.

looks like this is something for Athom Support.

Today I could us a older IPhone and I could reproduce the problem. Want to do some tests tomorrow morning.

Maybe another solutions: new IPhone :grinning:

:+1:t2: thanks!

In home automation, there’s usually more than one way to skin a cat. Like mentioned above, some get great results from making a siri/shortcuts personal automation in iOS that triggers an HTTP request to Homey, telling it that someone left or arrived.

Personally I’m very happy with the OwnTracks App for iOS/Android, that reports my position directly to an MQTT broker, which Homey then monitors. Beyond present/away triggers for my home, I can also set a geofence for my hometown, my kids’ school or my place of work - i.e. to automatically total how much time I was there and to remind me to send an invoice for hours or travel expenses that day.

Everyone in my household runs the app, which provides endless use cases to automate for.

Did you set the DHCP in your router so to have the iPhones a fixed IP-adress, according to their MAC-adresses? If not, your phones get a random changing IP-adress each time they connect to the wifi and then Smart Presence app will not work.

According to my research the settings should be like this to use Homey as detection if user is present.

Unfortunately I could not completely test it and so I do not know if it is working or not.

Would like to know if there is any reason why this should not work.

This is not correct. You can still use ‘private wifi address’. Just be sure to set up your router DHCP to forward a static ip-address to your phone according to your phone’s mac-address.

Would like to know on which source you base “This is not correct. You can still use ‘private wifi address’.”

Presence within the Homey app is based on location: https://support.homey.app/hc/en-us/articles/360012141853-Using-Presence-and-Sleep-Status

IP-adress is not used.