Høiax Connected smart water heaters

1.7.0 is working….

Good work Frode.

Do we have any nice way to create a schedule to heat when the price is low?

1 Like

I am glad to hear it works now, so I pushed it for review by Athom. The new version will probably go live on Monday.

Do we have any nice way to create a schedule to heat when the price is low?

Yes, install the app “Sparegris” (Piggy bank) and let it control the tank, then both the prices and power tariff will be accounted for (given that you let the app control a sufficient number of your heating sources) . This will also require you to install the app strømregning if you want the electricity prices to be fetched and accounted for automatically.

Congratulation to the one that just installed the app, you’re user number 100 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi.
Getting my tank next week. Did any of you apply for Enova financial support for this? Should be eligible in theory.
How did you document Homeys functionality for controlling price/power load?
Getting my two bathrooms renovated, and I’m planning to apply for support for the tank, and also thermostats and dimmer switches.
Everything is connected by authorized companies, but the Homey itself, is of course set up by me personally.

You don’t have to mention homey in the application at all as Høiax Connected is considered smart even without Homey (although Homey increases the smartness a bit)

Ok, thanks :pray:

Hello again!

Thanks @frodeheg update working as a charm her as well.

Anyone want to share their logic of controlling the heater?
I’m currently using this setup:

I see the heater is in eco mode now with target temperature 56, is this to low? Any comments on this would be nice.

I have not seen any of the issues above using “spotpris” program in the myuplink app. Everything was working fine in the homey and myuplink app using the “spotpris” program until today, when the homey app got updated to 1.7.0.

I have firmware 1.5.6 and myuplink version 1.23.1 (1326)

@Alf_Jonny_Nokling
Just controlling the temperature or adjusting according to when prices are low is not sufficient. If you want best possible control and save as much money as possible you want to make sure you are not using too much power in any given hour as well. Thus I highly recommend you use the following program to control the heater and you should save more than 1000 nok every year: Piggy Bank App for Homey | Homey

I use the following flows:

and I installed the app Norwegian Electricity Bill App for Homey | Homey to get the current prices. This is automatically transferred and no flows required.

Then in the app Sparegris I set the following states:

Of course, I let the app control all other heating sources in my home too, but you asked for Høiax in particular. The above would control it as follows:

• 65 degrees normally
  • 85 degrees when the price is low
  • 55 degrees when the price is high
  • off when the price is extremely high
    All within the 5 kWh power tariff, so it might also be turned off for example when I make dinner or other heaters with higher priority are on and we are likely to overshoot the 5 kWh power tariff.
1 Like

@cscheiene,
I have not yet received any official comment from Høiax as to why they deprecated the “spotpris” control in some of their tanks and frankly I am a bit annoyed with Høiax because they can’t keep the API stable causing me and others lots of trouble because this has to be debugged in our spare time.

Unfortunately due to limitations in the homey API there is no way to have a varying amount of parameters on any capabilities so it is a big mess trying to handle two different versions of myUplink, thus I went for the only option that works on both versions, that is with “spotpris” removed. I am sorry if this is causing trouble for you and I can probably add it back in if this is really what you want, but as I stated to @Alf_Jonny_Nokling in the above post you really want something more advanced than the “spotpris” program from myuplink, otherwise what is the point connecting it to Homey? I recommend you install “Sparegris” to get the most out of it and save money on the power tariff as well.

Hope this is ok with you and of course if you have suggestions for improvements I will gladly do my best to enhance your experience.

@frodeheg It’s still working, but the mode changed to Homey after the update. When I put it back to spotpris in the myuplink app, everything still seems to work, but the mode change is not reflected in the homey app.

It not a problem for me. I just moved over to Homey from another hub, so I’m getting all the basic stuff to work first. That’s why I just want to leave the control to myuplink for now.

Thanks for the great work by the way.

This will only last until the next time the app restarts, Homey reboots or you save the settings in the Homey Høiax app, then it will be reset back to “External / Homey” again.

So if you plan to have it at “spotpris” for a while then I probably should make an update that stops resetting it every time the app restarts (e.g. every time you get a new update)

Ahh, I see. It would be nice to still be able to use it with homey for some monitoring. And maybe someone else will run into the same problem.

If I get you correctly what you meant by monitoring is that you would like to use the “spotpris” option from myUplink and use the Homey app to monitor what is really happening.
Ok, then I’ll add it back, and everyone will see the option, but those that have the new myuplink version will just get an error message if they try to set the option to “spotprice” (something in the line “your myUplink version does not support “spotprice” like all other tanks, contact Høiax to get it fixed”). At least it’s better than the crash they experienced before.

Still no comment from Høiax, so I don’t know if they removed it by mistake or if they truly deprecated it yet. :thinking:

@cscheiene , ok, I have now added the spot price option back in version 1.7.1 but this time with a check to prevent crashes for the tanks without the option. I guess I will need confirmation from @EddieX or @Alf_Jonny_Nokling that I did not break their app again before I push this to the stable release.

1 Like

Thank you. I installed the test version.

If I change the mode in the myuplink app, should it be reflected back in the settings of the Homey app?

Only if you restart the app.

I will push it to review by Athom now, got confirmation from @EddieX that it is working.

Just tried to restart the app, it resets back to Homey control after restart.

Lol, yes, stupid mistake of mine. That piece of code can never have worked as intended. You’re the first to notice it though. I fixed it in version 1.7.3.

Seems like Høiax has changed the interface again, and still no feedback from them.
Now I am getting crash reports from some users as such:

“Error: Invalid values read from water heater: Usage=undefined, Temp=undefined, HeatAvailable=undefined”

I hope the user that got these messages can get in contact to ease debugging. Otherwise fixing it might take a little longer.