Google lntegration lost and can not be repaired (other then reboot modem / router / Homey): Athom is aware

Hi all,

In my line of work replicating a problem is crucial, so tonight it set myself replicate my Homey going offline problem.

First of all, I began this problem thinking there was a problem with homey and Google home connection. Found out (others did too) that this is not the case. The problem is that Homey goes offline to the outside world. So other app cannot connect anymore. And if you use your Homey app outside your own network you will see it is offline.

First off all it maybe crucial to share more details on this problem what may help to solve this, I will start off:

Homey Pro 2023 (early 2023)
Firmware version: 10.2.1 (8 jan 2024) Problem started around nov/dec 2023
Using wired LAN adapter and WIFI
WIFI home is using Unifi system with multiple AP’s and yes roaming ofcourse.
WIFI home system is doing a channel optimisation every night on AP’s
No static IP, but lease is long enough to ensure Homey gets its same address every time.

Note to myself: A channel optimisation of course causes Homey to roam from one AP to another and probably back. This happens every night. Hence every night Homey goes on roaming.

So here are My steps to replicate the problem:

• I Connect my Homey on both LAN and WIFI (standard situation after initial setup I believe if you have a LAN adaptor)
  • Disconnect the LAN interface, The Homey will now continue on WIFI. (give it some time)
  • Reconnect your LAN interface, You will see that your Homey will continue on the WIFI interface
  • In my Unifi (home router) I block the Homey WIFI.
  • Homey will now reconnect to the LAN interface
  • When this is done you will see that your Homey is offline for the outside world. Connecting to it from within your LAN will still work fine. But all other apps that use outside mode are now in offline state.
  • Now Restart your Homey.
  • Your Homey will connect to the LAN interface.
  • And now Homey is “online” to the outside world.

What is happening?

Of course there is an IP change when going from WIFI to LAN.
But we see this behaviour also when always connected to WIFI.
My DHCP leases are more than capable to give the Homey its same address every time again so no static IP.
Maybe, it has something to do with WIFI roaming/Channel optimisation. This is done on my network every night. And next day Homey is Offline.

For now I will have this marinade, but I do not have inside info on how e.g. the “online connection” is made and with what specifications for security, for example it can be with IP-address, device-name and, device guids, etc etc.

I do think when something happens on the network side the negotiation with online Homey servers is lost.

I will keep my Homey on Wired LAN with WIFI denied. No reboots at night. Lets see what happens.

Edit: maybe to topic should be changed to homey offline or something. Google, I think, has nothing to do with it.

3 Likes