Continious dimming?

Hi,

Is there any way to get a dimmer function that dims continiously instead of in steps?

That depends on the device (and maybe even Homey App ) you are using and the timespan and % you expect to dim over.

I’m using the Shelly Dimmer 2 hardware. I just want the dimmer to go on dimming whilst pressing a button and not just go for, let’s say, 20% at a time.

Maybe this is an idea.
Using the transition function of Chronograph.
As long as the switch is turned on, the light dims a bit with each transition step; when the switch is turned off, the transition is stopped, and the light just uses the last dim value.

I’ll give it a try and see what happens. :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity. Am I the only one looking to get the dimmers to work as a “normal” stepless dimmer?

2 Likes

If the dimmer doesn’t support it in hardware, it’s very difficult to get “normal” stepless dimming because it will require an intermediary device (like Homey) and that will always introduce a delay (besides that, it also requires Homey to be able to handle “button pressed” and “button released” events for the device, and the device to support “start dimming” and “stop dimming” actions, otherwise you have to resort to using apps like Chronograph to perform the dimming).

From what I can see, the Shelly Dimmer 2 supports it in hardware, so I assume you should be able to configure it in the Shelly app (not the Homey app for Shelly).

1 Like

Ah, I understand. I’ll have a look and poke around in the Shelly app and see what I can find. :slight_smile: