Change device type

Hi

I wonder if there is possible to change the device type in Homey?

I have for example Aeotec Nano switch and Dual Nano Switch that I use to control fans and heaters.
But in Home there is a light symbol showing when they are turned on/off, and in Google Assistant these devices turns off when I say for example “Hey Google, turn all lights off”.
I have read that Google set the type depending on the device name, but my devices are namned “Fan” “Heat” “Cameras” etc.

None of the Aeotec devics (except one of the “main” devices for Dual nano switch, but it doenst make any difference what I set there) have the option “What is connected” so I can’t change anything there.

Do you have any idea of how I could solve this?

1 Like

You have 2 options,
The quickest way is to change the app’s code (single / dual), and change the class to “socket” instead of “light”, install the app via CLI, and then re-pair your devices.

The slowest way is to send an issue to Athom which are the creators of the app, and ask them to change the class, and when the app has been updated (which can take months) to then re-pair your devices.

1 Like

Thank you.
I’ll try the first option first. :wink:

But I an new to this so I’m afraid that I don’t know how to change the app code. It cant be done by sending raw command directly in homey?

unfortunately that is indeed not possible, even if you could change it textual, to actually change the class a re-pair of the device is mandatory.

So first I have to unistall the Aeotec app and then install it again via CLI?
Before installation I modify the application installation file with different device classes. But in that case I change all of the devices of the same model, for example ALL Dual Nano switches? Some of them is actually used for controlling light so I don’t want every Aetoec device class to be changed.
Is that possible?

I read something about that I don’t have to pair all devices again when I uninstall and install the same app again. Are there any difference if I install via CLI? If not, could it be solved by not re-pair the light devices?
In that case, I can’t add another Aeotec Nano switch to control lights, but I guess I just have to live with that and hope that I don’t have to re-pair any light-device again.

No, anything you do, do not uninstall, unless you do want to re-pair all your aeotec devices, you can install just over the app store version and it will work.
The same goes for going back to the app-store version, you can just install right over the CLI version without uninstalling and everything will keep working, even if you made a small mistake in the code so the app crashes for example, just install the app version back again, and it will keep working

Like i said a re-pair is mandatory (so remove the device, and include again), if you don’t re-include, the class will stay the same.
But even if those did change (which might have happend that this behaviour was changed in a Homey firmware update), one of the option in your “what is plugged in” is “light”, so you can always choose that as option.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking your time and help me!
I will try that!

But some of the devices don’t have the option ”what is plugged in” today. Could that be changed in the installation file via CLI too?

That is what you do when you change the class to socket, so all you have to do (easier said then done :stuck_out_tongue:) is change the class of those devices and re-pair.

1 Like

Ok.
But now I saw that the devices that had the alternative ”what is plugged in” was the ”main” device (the one that controls both channels) on Dual Nano switch (ZW140).
Dual Nano switch (ZW132) with energy meter does not have that alternative.

But for zw140 it doesn’t matter if I set ”fan” as plugged in device (on the ”main” device”, the separate devices for channel 1 and two does not have that option). The separate devices for the separate channels still shows as lights.

So in case I would try to change this, if still possible, I need some guidance for how to change class on the separate channel devices on the dual nano switch.